LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2009-10-06, 10:55am
SSDD... go ahead, ask me!

This is so totally awesome! I met some ladies at a show I was in this past weekend who have commissioned me to do belts for their dolls. While she was showing me the making of it all she removed the back of the head and showed me the eyes. "I may have a local market here if I can only figure out how it's done..." was my thought at the time. Well, you've given me the tools now I'm going to see how well I can work it.

Thank you for being so generous! I'll let you know how it goes!
Old 2009-10-06, 11:19am

1. Pins--I use super-cheap sequin pins from Sunshine Crafts: http://www.sunshinecrafts.com.

2. I feel that I MUST pass on my knowledge. Many creative people out there need tiny glass eyes for their own work. I have no expectation of ever going back to glass work, and even if I did, my customers need eyes now.

3. PLEASE give me your contact/website info when you are ready for customers and I will put you on the list on my doll eye page.

4. I won't win the fabric contest, but that's ok. I got a sample of my design and it needs a little more work!
Old 2009-10-06, 11:59am

How generous of you. Thank you for sharing. I love pulling cane, so this might be a good extension of that for me. Your tutorial is well-written and is inspiring me to give it a try.

Ginko Beads
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-10-06, 12:43pm
I'm a lilac!

What a wonderful tutorial, thank you! I've been fascinated by glass doll eyes for some years, and I think I have even seen your site before when I was obsessing over them. I'll definitely give it a try.

I love your fabric design! I voted... I hope you win!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-10-06, 1:44pm
Mr Brutus RIP

Very cool jane! Thank you for the tutorial. I work small and I'm a stay at home mom so I will give your tutorial a try and let you know if it goes well.
Your fabric is beautiful, good luck!!
Sue

Old 2009-10-06, 7:33pm

Ok, another supid question. Do you keep the pokey end on the pin, do the people that use these want the sharp end?

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2009-10-06, 8:10pm
Flame Dames Rule!

Thank you so much, Jane - I'd love to give these a try!
*sharon*
(I voted too... it's a great pattern!)

Sharon Peters
New Bead Display Stands Available - pm me!

Specializing in Critters and Puns and other Cool Stuff...

Last edited by SharonP; 2009-10-06 at 8:14pm.
Old 2009-10-07, 1:33am

WOW how generous Jane! Cant wait to try it and thanks for the link to examples too, i cant believe that baby is 2 INCHES WOW. So tiny!

Robyn

Old 2009-10-07, 4:58am

I left the pins with sharp ends--I needed them to stick the eyes onto the foam blocks for sorting and also to pin the eyes to the foam sheets for shipping them. The heat from making the eyes softens the pins so that customers can easily cut them shorter or off entirely if they want to.

I'm going to add more info to the tutorial so you have all this info in one place!
Old 2009-10-07, 8:24am

I have added to the tutorial--please let me know if I left out anything. I also added a PayPal "donation" button. A donation is not required! If anyone wants to donate, I will apply the funds to my fabric design work.
Old 2009-10-07, 7:37pm

Thanks for getting back to me Jane.

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2009-10-08, 11:36pm

Great tutorial, thank you very much for the same. I would like to learn more.

Old 2009-10-13, 7:52pm
I love glass

I used to make polymer clay fairies and dolls. I will give it a try too.

Old 2009-10-16, 10:10am
tweetysweetie

Jane, how nice of you to do this and what a great tut you did, I donated and printed out..will try these cuties one of these days! Good luck with your new pursuits

Old 2009-10-17, 10:36am

Wow, nice tutorial! Thanks for sharing!

|
Old 2009-10-17, 1:06pm

I looked for some of the sequin pins at Hobby Lobby and all they had were the 3/4" ones.

I wish sunshine crafts took paypal!
Old 2009-10-17, 8:24pm
I'm a lilac!

Jane, I want to say, I really admire your dedication to your customers. Even if only a few of the people who read your tut go on to make eyes, and even if they only do it part time, it's in enough hands now that this knowledge won't get lost in the mists of time and dollmakers will still be able to get these eyes for a long time to come. That is really admirable and inspiring, and a great generosity not only to the lampworking world, but also to your clientele of doll artists.

Old 2009-10-18, 10:38pm
as in the state

I went to Lauscha in August and took classes from a human eye maker and saw demos by l eyemakers and stuffed animal eye makers. I have been wondering how to get this started as a business here in the states. This sounds perfect!!

-Amy
Old 2009-10-19, 10:24am

While searching for examples of eyes on the net, I came upon this site:

http://www.tohickonglasseyes.com/klglasaugen.htm#Doll Eyes

Old 2009-10-21, 3:24am

Re: Ofilia's link--they have the small "solid" doll eyes, but they show no pairs, and that is the issue doll makers have with the tiny eyes made in a German factory (I don't know if it was this factory). The "paired" eyes are not matched. One receives two random eyes of the same color. As you who have now made some eyes know, they don't all come out nearly the same!

Thanks for the nice comments and for trying this!
Old 2009-10-21, 10:12am
Creatrixie

Jane, I saw your neat tutorial a while ago but my glass skillz haven't been up to it yet...
Thanks for the reminder of your technique and I hope we can all help you out with getting eyes out there again to other artists!

~Mary

There's always something new to learn!
COE 104
Old 2009-10-21, 1:43pm
I speak Murrini!

I would love to see how anyone is coming along with trying these if anyone has pictures!

De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2009-10-21, 6:09pm

De--go to the tutorial and check the eye maker links in the right column. Two at least have eyes displayed, or did a few days ago.
Old 2009-10-21, 8:49pm
Creatrixie

I really liked the eyes that those two Artists had made, Jane....
Makes me want to get to a torch right now and give it a try! (and that's just so that I can start playing around with some polymer clay and making heads! lol )

~Mary

There's always something new to learn!
COE 104
Old 2009-10-21, 9:06pm
rainbowchasingtimewaster

I did three of them but I need pins with smaller heads, I think.

Lori Peterson - Try telling a Dachshund no and you will understand the true meaning of futility.

*f

Old 2009-10-21, 10:52pm
I speak Murrini!

*DOINK* - Thanks Jane! Wow, and two of my favoritist artists - John Rizzi and Mavis Smith! I love both of their work...and they did wonderful jobs on the doll eyes!

De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2009-10-22, 5:10am

My former customers are spreading the word that eyes are available again, and, as I said before, there is room for more than one eye maker. Doll makers each have different needs. Some want larger, some want smaller, some want unusual colors...I regularly had to say "Sorry, I don't do that." I also often had to reduce the size of customers' orders because I could not produce the eyes fast enough.
Old 2009-10-24, 4:30am

Hi Jane!
We met several years ago while standing next to each other in line for jury duty. While chatting we discoved that we were both artists working in glass. The world is really a small place after all..........

I'm sorry that we haven't yet met - maybe one day!

judith

Old 2009-10-24, 9:22am

Hi Judith! I certainly remember, what a small world indeed! Well, as you see, I am no longer able to work in glass (I believe I had to quit very shortly after we met), but I am sharing what I learned while I was.
Old 2009-10-28, 6:55pm
The Torch Be With You

Jane, thanks so much for sharing such a wonderful tutorial. I printed it out and made a donation. Thank you! I wish you success with your fabric design.