Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2014-12-28, 6:21pm
a pox upon an idiot :..

Well I'm not "OK" with it and would rather go without or save for the original. Copying is copying whether it's a toolmaker's design or a bead design and it steals money out of the pocket of the original designer. But that's just me.

I have two of the Dona bell flower presses and the quality is unsurpassed. His tools are a work of art and worth every penny.
Old 2014-12-28, 7:59pm
rainbowchasingtimewaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaD View Post
They even have a link to the Carla Dona Bell flower Video on Youtube.... But they are not the first company to knockoff his tools..
I just want to clarify that it is my video, which is publicly viewable (and linkable) and I did not have anything to do with having it on their website.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Lori Peterson - Try telling a Dachshund no and you will understand the true meaning of futility.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

*f

Old 2014-12-29, 11:30am
Bead me up, Scotty.

I'm sorry I contributed to the negative track this thread took. I agree that the Carlo Donna tool is unsurpassed, and I hope to own one some day. I love all the ideas for what to do with the flowers--and would love to see more ideas. In the meantime--here are a few of the flowers I've made with the Devardi presses. I'm still practicing to get them even and the centers finished without melting the detail on the flowers. They are pretty with transparent, but I love the opaque. (And the bud vases I learned to make in Julie Nordine's awesome class!)
Hope you like them,
Cathy
Old 2014-12-29, 6:21pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starrr View Post
Well I'm not "OK" with it and would rather go without or save for the original. Copying is copying whether it's a toolmaker's design or a bead design and it steals money out of the pocket of the original designer. But that's just me.

I have two of the Dona bell flower presses and the quality is unsurpassed. His tools are a work of art and worth every penny.
I have one Dona press. I won't buy a Devardi.
Old 2014-12-30, 5:34pm
Happy Inner Dragon

I'm a relative newcomer to thin wire glasswork. While I haven't made bellflowers, and all my work is freehand, my ideas have come from other work I've done as beads.
Then I adapted them to plant picks, which then moved on to the wires.

While I haven't made jewellery, I have done some ornamental work, like this, for my daughter, who requested something made with my little birdies...
While this design calls for a bit of rusticity, and I could be quite haphazard with the wiring, you get the idea. I left some firescale on and allowed them to age as they may.
So, they don't have to be used for jewellery, necessarily. 101 uses

rusticalsfreestyle on Instagram

SRA# P107
Old 2015-01-02, 8:50pm

Thanks for sharing, Di! That's lovely! Way to think outside the box.
Old 2015-01-02, 8:51pm

And, people, so nice to know that some of you will not stoop to own one of these presses. I bow to your ethical superiority, and regret my own base nature. But if you read the OP, that's not the information I was looking for. The information I'm looking for applies equally to EVERY SINGLE FLOWER PRESS EVER MADE. Please, can we be kind to one another?

Last edited by isaberg; 2015-01-02 at 9:01pm.
Old 2015-01-12, 9:06am

Default So I have the flower presses. And flowers. Now what?

I'm a new poster; I'll try to post a pic of what I do with my wired florals. I wire them onto a wire base to create a focal. I have two Carlos, some Divardis, spoons, knives, pliers, and anything else I can press into service to my devious ends to make flowers on wire
Old 2015-01-12, 9:18am

Mostly I use the wired florals mixed with other beads to augment my designs.
Old 2015-01-12, 11:06am

Thanks for posting those, Mary; they're lovely!

Mimi
Old 2015-01-12, 12:23pm

Smile

Mary, I like the way you combined the various sizes and shapes of flowers. They look lovely together. Thank you for posting. Lydia😊
Old 2015-01-13, 10:29am

You can also make cute earrings (I use 18 g brass wire for earrings), and you can make stickpins with stainless stickpin bases.
Old 2015-01-13, 10:47pm

Smile

Very pretty earrings and necklace. What colors did you use for the earrings - the colors are gorgeous. Thanks. Lydia
Old 2015-01-14, 7:27am

Default Earring colors

I used Rubino, EDP, and I don't know what the blue was.
Old 2015-01-14, 10:31am

Just flat-out gorgeous, Mary Lowe! You say you "wire your flowers onto a wire base" - what does that mean? What are you using for a base? Just the chain?

Last edited by isaberg; 2015-01-14 at 10:37am.
Old 2015-01-14, 6:04pm

Smile

Thanks for sharing the names of the colors of the flower earrings. Lydia
Old 2015-01-15, 7:48am

You can loop the flowers onto chain links, or make a wire base out of 18 g wire to attach your florals to.
Old 2015-01-19, 9:06am

Mary Lowe, you are awesomeness personified!
Old 2015-01-19, 9:02pm
They see me rollin'...

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaberg View Post
Mary Lowe, you are awesomeness personified!
I totally agree!!

-Patti
Old 2015-01-21, 12:26pm
SCIENCE Teacher!

What is being used for the brooch pin when brooches are made? I'm not asking for any super secret technique but I hate those cheapie horrible things that have the holes in them and was hoping there was something classier available.
Old 2015-01-22, 9:10am

You can make a flower directly on the stem of the stickpin just like it's a wire. Can't find a picture...