Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-05-07, 6:36am
Angie09

Default Silver cored beads ... have I missed the boat?

I have been contemplating buying the Jim Moore bead corer and starting a line of big holed beads but am concerned the "craze" may be on it's way out. Did I miss the boat on this by not doing these sooner? Are big holed beads still a good seller? Do you see the fade slowing down??

Any help and info would be appreciated before I invest more money,

Thanks
Old 2010-05-07, 7:57am
Experimentalist

I can't answer this question, but I TOTALLY don't get the fad.

If you fill one of those Biagi things up with charms, then yeah, it kind of makes sense. But anything less than 100% filled, the bracelet would do nothing but hang in an upsidedown position on the wrist.

Maybe I'm the only one that hates it when bracelets do that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-05-07, 9:31am
Lampworkaholic!

I'm with Laura - and when it is full, it stands away from the wrist and is huge.

However I love the look of large silver capped and cored focals or a chain or cord.

Also smaller cored (3/32 mandrel size) beads look nice in jewelry.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2010-05-07, 9:34am
Experimentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by erose View Post
I'm with Laura - and when it is full, it stands away from the wrist and is huge.

However I love the look of large silver capped and cored focals or a chain or cord.

Also smaller cored (3/32 mandrel size) beads look nice in jewelry.

Yes... I, too, LOVE the look of cored (and capped) beads. But I just can't have them on those types of bracelets.

Old 2010-05-07, 9:43am
make beads not war

I've stopped making the small cored beads that go on bracelets. When I saw the inexpensive version at Archivers (a scrapbookin store?!) for $6, there is no way someone would pay for mine at the price I wanted.

I've concentrated on making huge focals as pendants and those have really done well for me.
Old 2010-05-07, 9:50am

But the fad is soooo much more than just for bracelets. I love a fancy bigger ones with layered beadcaps on a simple snakechain necklace.

-D

Donna Felkner -
-
-
-
Old 2010-05-07, 9:51am
da General

My ginormous capped and cored focals that we also sell the leather neck cords for have done well too. The smaller pandora bracelet size ones do well at shows. . . customers just buy the entire leather bracelet with lampworked beads and metal clay discs.

|
|
|
|
Old 2010-05-07, 10:28am
Experimentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgbeads View Post
But the fad is soooo much more than just for bracelets. I love a fancy bigger ones with layered beadcaps on a simple snakechain necklace.

-D

Yes. I personally think large-holed cored beads will be in favor for awhile.

I was just musing last night about how much I don't understand those biagi, troll, pandora bracelets.

Old 2010-05-07, 10:49am
Hobby Junkie

I'm with Hayley! The folks in my neck of the woods love capped and cored beads on necklaces. They are the most requested things from my friends too.

Old 2010-05-07, 11:26am
Experimentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaBean View Post
I'm with Hayley! The folks in my neck of the woods love capped and cored beads on necklaces. They are the most requested things from my friends too.
I'd love to see examples of how they're strung up.

Old 2010-05-07, 11:34am
sunscreen me baby

Well if my Etsy shop is any indication the boat is still sailing

~

Old 2010-05-07, 11:39am
Sorry for party rockin'

I can't even remember the last time I twirled a 3/32" mandrel

They're still very popular, but I completely agree that once the bracelet fad goes away, the big capped/cored necklace beads will still be popular.
People love instant jewelry and those fit the bill!

I'm still amazed that each time I do a bead show, someone will pick up a strand of my beads and say "what would I do with this?" . . . . but show them a single, finished out focal bead and they know they can just slide it on a chain and wear it home

Old 2010-05-07, 11:56am
sunscreen me baby

That is so true Ginny! People pick up my strands and ask where the bracelet clasp is, lol.

Another thing you can do at shows with your bracelet sized beads is offer a simple chain or cord to string one on. My almost 12 year old and her friends wear my boo boos and love them. They make great tween sized jewelry.

~

Old 2010-05-07, 12:00pm
Angie09

OK...sounds like I'm not too late to catch this "fade" ... here goes another big out lay of cash!!

What's the BEST size mandrel to use??

Thanks everyone!!! Keep the info coming please.
Old 2010-05-07, 1:13pm
make beads not war

The first evening of an art show, I had all of my focals in a bead cigar box. I can not tell you how many times people thought it was an abacus.

Next day I had samples and signs. :big grin:
Old 2010-05-07, 2:34pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by villa design View Post
The first evening of an art show, I had all of my focals in a bead cigar box. I can not tell you how many times people thought it was an abacus.

Next day I had samples and signs. :big grin:

HAHAHAHAHA!!! I love it!!!