No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-07-23, 11:24am
Newfoundland lover!

Default Pandora style cored beads "measuring."

Does anyone else have a system when measuring out the bead then the correct amount of tube? I do use calipers and a good little ruler.
I am not good at making my beads exactly the same size. They all range from 3/8-5/8 in width. Mostly 1/4 inch. But I find that I really need to give each bead attention on the measurements to "get it right."
Then if you add a cap to it changes the measurement as well.

It seems tedious, but worth it. But I wondered if anyone has found away that is quicker and more clever.

I just am not a math person. Maybe I am just impatient on this step today! Plus I am still PPP on getting the pressing down to look clean and even on a consistent basis.

I do love doing it overall, just frustrated with me.

Lynx, tanked propane, M-10 oxy and refurb oxy -5.

Last edited by merigypsy; 2010-07-23 at 11:27am.
Old 2010-07-23, 11:33am
Formerly FishBulb

I'll be watching this thread with interest, as I will be venturing into this area of beadmaking myself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2010-07-23, 11:43am

I use a brass caliper (like this one: http://www.widgetsupply.com/page/WS/...-vernier/XJA66) to measure the widest point of the bead. Then I slide the opening another 2.5mm. Taking the caliper, I carefully hook the edge of the opening over the end of the tubing and mark the inside with a sharpie. Because the ink line is going to shorten the measurement, I cut on the outside of my ink mark to get the full measurement. I use a plumber's line cutter to score and cut the tubing. If you are using a saw, you need to compensate for the blade width that will be removed from your cut.

For capped beads, I put the cap on the tubing, the bead next and finally the last cap. Then I measure the widest point of the caps and bead. Add 2.5mm and proceed to mark my tubing for cutting.

Okay, I admit, I am crazy to measure to the .5mm increments, but it works for me.

Ginko Beads
Old 2010-07-23, 11:58am
Formerly FishBulb

Well, how timely! I was just about to search you out on Etsy, Ginko!

Thank you for these tips also!

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2010-07-23, 12:26pm

LOL. That answer just cost me. I cannot go to widget supply's web page without seeing something I must have. I love tools too much.

Ginko Beads
Old 2010-07-23, 1:01pm
A True Woofer

Dave has some easy steps for measuring in his tutorial for using his machine: www.artintheround.com. Look under articles.

Old 2010-07-23, 1:05pm
Silver Hogs/Tool Junkies

Here's the caliper I use, and it works great!
http://www.widgetsupply.com/page/WS/...gital/SFB3-004

Dave at Art In The Round gives some great advise also. Go about half-way down the page.

You sneaked in on me Ellen! LOL

Jack

Old 2010-07-23, 1:17pm

I use a "digital" caliper (purchased at Harbor Freight) and measure the size of the beads with the bead caps held in place, then lock the caliper in place and press "zero" I then unlock the caliper to slide my bead out and continue to slide the caliper open until it reads 4.00 and lock it in place. (that gives me 2mm on each side to finished off the bead). I then "score" the bead with the sharp edge of the caliper at that measurement and cut the tubing.
I hope you found this helpful. The digital caliper is really the best thing I've found for a precise measurement without much thought.

Old 2010-07-25, 1:18pm
Newfoundland lover!

Thanks everyone, I was away!
Ginko I didn't think about including the blade part so this was helpful. I am using a non digital caliper but the brass one really is good.

Thanks jack, Amy and Ellen. I'll look into the tips.

Angie, good luck. It really is precise work, but I do love making them!

My saw is from Harbor Freights, it is a $25 cheapy. I think the blade must be dull. I hope to upgrade to something else down the road!

Old 2010-07-25, 3:52pm
offically down under

I will add that I just use the calipers to make the mark on my silver tubing. I measure the bead, add 3.4 mm to the calipers and then take the calipers to my silver.
Attached Images

Old 2010-07-25, 4:24pm
Certified Glassaholic!

Teehee....I totally eyeball mine. I just put the bead (or bead with bead caps) on the silver tubing, eyeball it, mark the spot then cut.

Old 2010-07-25, 4:37pm
Newfoundland lover!

Yeepers you sure do fine with that method!!!

Tammy thanks for the photos & tip.

Old 2010-07-26, 10:15am

I am with Amy and Tammy. I also use a digital caliper, measure the bead, zero out the caliper, then measure out 4mm more, 2 for each end of the bead. Then I score the silver with the caliper.

I think this video was the one I watched that originally helped me figure this out. It was a link posted in another thread on the subject

http://www.dawnandevan.com/silver_core.htm

Old 2010-07-26, 12:21pm
make beads not war

What's this measuring thing? I've always eyeballed it.