Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

Old 2009-10-31, 12:40pm

Default Help Nikon D90 users

I had the Nikon D70 for five years. During that time I had to send it back the the factory once for a known malfunction. Six months ago I had to have the shutter replaced. Last week it began reading format and nothing would fix it. I took it into the camera shop etc. So I bit the bullet and bought the D90 from B&H. I already have several lenses that fit a Nikon. First they sent the wrong camera. I finally got mine on Thursday. IT WILL NOT TAKE PICTURES IN MANUAL MODE !!! Oh it takes the picture, it just doesn't show up. The LCD screen remains black, but there is a picture number there. It will take pictures in all the other modes. I've taken out the battery, reset the factory settings, changed lenses, googled the problem, pleaded personally with the camera itself.....nothing is working. I have a three year warranty so I can send it back, but I am beginning to wonder about Nikon. My daughter bought the same camera this summer and it wouldn't take pictures in outside light. The LCD screen was black, but a picture was there.....wtf??? She sent it back, they did some readjustments and now it works fine Anyone have any suggestions. Am I doing something wrong? Are we just a bad luck family or is Nikon not up to par? Any help greatly appreciated.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-10-31, 1:24pm

Just talked to Nikon. I have to send it back. Something technical wrong. How can a brand new camera leave a store with a problem?? I don't think it would bother me so much if the same thing hadn't happened to my daughter's camera, which was also brand new......sigh

Old 2009-10-31, 1:59pm
Covered in glitter

I got a D90 in August and it's been in for repairs already too. It's fine now but when you spend that kind of money for a camera it sucks that it EVER has to be fixed. Tell Nikon you want a loaner while the camera's being fixed.

And those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who couldn't hear the music. --Nietzsche
Old 2009-10-31, 2:30pm

I'm having issues with mine as well! I agree with Deb, if you send that kind of money on a camera it should NEVER have to be fixed, let alone go into the shop right after you get it. I'm calling Nikon Monday, I wonder if they will give me a loaner while it is being fixed?

Old 2009-10-31, 2:39pm
Covered in glitter

I was a little pissed that they didn't give me a new camera as it had just been a few days over 4 weeks that I'd had it. It's fine now but it shouldn't have had issues in the first place. When I talked to the guys at Helix camera in Chicago (the repair shop/rental guys) they said mine had been the 3rd one brought in that week--and it was TUESDAY! I love the camera though so I guess I'll put up with it. I'm keeping ALL the paperwork involved though and if I have any more problems with it I will make them give me a new one.

And those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who couldn't hear the music. --Nietzsche
Old 2009-10-31, 4:36pm

I'm asking for a new one since it's been all of 2 days. It's really discouraging to know about so many people who are having problems because when they work I love these cameras.

Old 2009-10-31, 5:02pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I would return it to the store.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2009-11-02, 12:26am

Talked to Nikon. The camera is defective. Going back to point of purchase. I talked to them also and they are sending me a new camera !! YES !!

Old 2009-11-02, 6:47am
make beads not war

Weirdness... I've had my D90 for a year and I've never had an issue with it. I went with the Nikon because lots of photography friends recommended the brand.
Old 2009-12-02, 2:55pm

Oh goody goody, my second D90 in one month now has ISSUES and is defective. They are sending me ANOTHER brand new camera......this is not good.

Old 2009-12-18, 7:30am
Linda Linda Honey, lookit

I've had a D90 for a while now, and have used it for professional shoots regularly. I dont have a problem, and never have.

My first thought if you have a black screen and a photo number is that you dont know how to use the 'manual' mode properly, and you are getting severely underexposed images.

One camera with a problem I can understand. THREE cameras with problems seems like its an operator error to me.

Old 2009-12-25, 7:58pm

It was 2 new D90's with problems,(the D70 just up and died after five years). Both of them were declared defective by the store. Third one is working great. I don't understand how I could get 2 defective cameras either, but they were. I'm loving my Nikon now.

Old 2009-12-25, 8:09pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MardiGrasGlass View Post

One camera with a problem I can understand. THREE cameras with problems seems like its an operator error to me.
Nope, not operator error on my part! I sent mine back and was told it had a bad chip, they replaced it and I haven't had any issues since. It's a great camera and I love it, but if you do a search online you will find that the D90 does have some issues that have nothing to do with the person using it.