Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2008-02-26, 12:12pm
Anyone need some spacers?

Liz, When I sew the ribbons I make them 1/2 inch wide x36 inches long but you could make them any width or length you like. I make them out of fabric yardage not out of premade ribbons.

Melanie I bet your mom does have a serger if she sews a lot.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-02-26, 1:41pm
Covered in glitter

Try onion skins! They make a really nice color.

And those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who couldn't hear the music. --Nietzsche
Old 2008-02-26, 7:25pm
Type ZZZ personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorLigh View Post
I have made some ribbons!

Those came out great!!

Lynx with 2 5-lpm oxycons
Old 2008-02-26, 8:15pm

Hey I am going to try the onion skins thanks Deb.

Patty thoes are wonderful colors are you getting them with koolaid and coffee?

Old 2008-02-28, 6:10pm
Type ZZZ personality

Oh, those are NorLighs ribbons. I just quoted her post: http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...&postcount=139

Old 2008-02-28, 6:18pm
Type ZZZ personality

I don't have access to a serger and I have some silk dupioni. Any alternative edging suggestions?

Old 2008-02-29, 9:57pm

I don't have any other good way to finish the edges. Some cut them on the bias and then just don't finish them at all but it doesn't seem like they would last long.

I remember reading that koolaid info now...

Old 2008-03-03, 8:09pm

here's some of mine. I got silk Dupoini (or whatever it is called)

Old 2008-03-06, 7:01am
Valparaíso - Chile

¡Beautiful silk ribbon! pretty colors.

Ana María

Quote:
Originally Posted by meadowesky View Post
here's some of mine. I got silk Dupoini (or whatever it is called)

Old 2008-03-07, 4:37am

Very nice. Are you using cotton thread on the edges?

Old 2008-03-07, 1:02pm

I couldn't get the edges to look good after dying them already stitched so I have been dying before I stitch and then serging. It gives me a bigger canvas to work on (which is super fun!!) and the edges work out better for me. Plus I can do a contrasting color for the edging which is nice (or a matching one- which is a pain and lots more thread $$)

Old 2008-03-07, 8:54pm

Your edges didn't look good because they didn't turn out the same color or because the stitch looked messy?

Old 2008-03-08, 9:16am

Wonderful silks everyone!
It is so fun to play like a mad scientist with the dye.
I've been playing with different silk types and finishing methods.
I like the look of serging before dyeing myself.
I'm still experimenting on whether to cut selvige to selvige or the other way.

Old 2008-03-10, 4:09am

Jamn thoes velvet ones are just yummy! They can't possibly be as wide as they look in the photo??

Old 2008-03-10, 7:49am

Tracy, there are about 1/2 an inch. They look wider I think cause of the angle of the shot.
I know it was probably a typo but I am not Jamn, but Jami, very close in spelling though! lol

Old 2008-03-10, 7:31pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bead_bug View Post
Your edges didn't look good because they didn't turn out the same color or because the stitch looked messy?
they just looked messy. I give them a pretty rigorous washing after I die to get it all out.. maybe I am doing too much?
I have been using the procion mx dyes (been tie dying with that kind forever) and just got some lighter weight silk in which I think is working out better and has a nicer flow than the dupoini. The ones that I showed above were the dupoini

Old 2008-03-11, 4:04am

Sorry about the spelling Jami, I hate it when people put an e in Tracy.

Brandie, there isn't any reason to be rigorus with them just a good rinse is more than enough. They are silk and it is a strong fiber but it sounds like you are pushing some of the fibers out of the rolled edge by being so rough. I don't think any item with a rolled hem would stand up to that kind of abuse.

Old 2008-03-11, 11:14am

Hello Bead_bug,

I am new to lampworking, but I am totally hooked! I discovered this site from a glass bead maker on YouTube. I am learning so much from everyone on this site! There are no glass making classes in my area, so I "surf the net" for information, plus ordering dvds is all I have for now. I love the ribbon tut btw, but I can't take my eyes off the flower pendant you have with the ribbon. I keep staring at it trying to figure out how you made that. Would you care to share how you did that with me...us? I Love them!!

Thank you all for the information!
Redbutterfly
Old 2008-03-12, 12:59pm

I am so glad you have found us here at LE, here is a tut that is basicly how I do my flowers but instead of raking them I simply mash to make petals. If you are on a hot head these are possible but remember you have to work much harder at keeping everything hot so it doesn't fly appart.

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=285

Old 2008-03-13, 9:28pm
In search of her path....

thanks for the tutorial! its good to have this on hand...ive always wondered and thought about making something like that but ust never got around to it! lol

Prints for sale in my
!
Old 2008-03-13, 11:31pm
Enjoying Life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bead_bug View Post
I am glad you have enjoyed the thread and thanks for all the great links.

If you end up needing any serger help just let me know. I tought serger classes for years.

No one has posted any velvet strings yet so once you get these done please let us see them.
Tracy,
I decided to give this a whirl and ACK! My needle thread keeps breaking on me. I have a White Speedylock. Got it many, many years ago. I have re-threaded it, changed the needle. Re-set all the tensions to 0 and started from there. I can get it set so that it works on a cotton fabric, but when I change over to the silk, it will sew about 18" then the thread that's supposed to go through the needle breaks or gets messed up somehow. It's hard to explain in words, but it's like that thread isn't going through the needle, but another thread is. Here, a picture is worth a thousand words:

Any ideas?
Also, my Hobby Lobby didn't have Black, tan or some other colors I wanted to do, in the tumble dye. What other brands of dye have you tried. I'd rather try something I can buy locally, since this is a project for my mother and I to do together this weekend.
BTW, I hope your interview went well!
Thanks,
Laura

~ SRA #T62
Old 2008-03-14, 12:12am

you can use the dylon or the rit dye. They work just fine. I like to soak mine in soda ask first (tulip brand has a small pink box of it at hobby lobby) I like the fiber reactive dyes but those work fine too

Old 2008-03-14, 4:39am

Larua, I think that the needle thread may be to loose and it is catching some how on the lower looper then it looks as if the thread is doing what it is now. It may be out of time. If you can't get it figured out just bring it to the meeting and I would be glad to take a look at it. This era of machies were out when I was doing sales and service so I am sure it is a machine that I have done before.

I don't bother dying black I just get black fabric, for tan I use coffee. None of the colors I am getting use any dye that has been purchased over the internet. It all comes from just around here. I know that the dyes Darma sells are beautiful but I just like seeing what comes out of the pot, the good, bad and UGLY lol.

Old 2008-03-14, 7:34am
Enjoying Life!

Black fabric, DUH moment here! That would be so much easier than dyeing it! I'll try tightening the needle tension and see how it goes. I just used the machine about a month or two ago, and everything worked fine, so I wouldn't think that the timing could be off, do you? I don't want to take it to the meeting, that's too much to lug around. I'd be embarassed bringing a sewing machine to a lampworking meeting, lol. Thanks for the help, I'll try it.

Soda ash.... Is there something else that I could use instead. My wallet doesn't want me to take another trip to Hobby Lobby, lol.

Thanks,
Laura

~ SRA #T62
Old 2008-03-14, 7:49am

I love all the beautiful ribbons here-you guys are oozing w/ talent. What I really like to use, though is the rolled thin silk tubes. Is that the spool on Dharma?
Old 2008-03-15, 11:46am

Thanks bead_bug,

I visual really helps! I will have to practice...I have a fireworks torch, I hope I can do it. If I am successful I will post a picture.

Redbutterfly
Old 2008-03-15, 5:51pm
It's all about art.

I have the dyes from Ribbonsmith (spelling may not be right) and have yet to try this. This thread just reminded to get it out.

Alternate dyes could be: rose hips, hibiscus, or onion skins. Onion skins give out a goldish to warm yellow.

Old 2008-03-16, 12:22pm

I saw a woman in the grocery store, taking the outer skins of the yellow onions and putting them in a bag and for the life of my I couldn't figure out what she was going to do with them... now I think I know lol.

Kari
Old 2008-03-16, 3:12pm

I think I get a pretty good edges on fine silk with my overlocker. I went rummaging through my old pile of dyed fabric which has been stuffed in my cupboard since the early 90’s. The silk I found was 8m/m (weight or thickness) Habutai (plain woven Jap silk.) a little on the thin side maybe, but what was at hand.

More interesting I think is the way I finished all my scarves back then. I did a rolled edge on my overlocker.
A rolled edge is made with a short, narrow stitch. The raw edge rolls around the narrow stitch finger to the wrong side where it is hidden under the stitching. Your machine should be sewing correctly before your start. All machines differ and some have the adjustments built in, other machines require a change of foot or throat plate – check your manual. My threads of choice are:
The needle and the lower looper:
Ackermann Rasant sewing thread. This is a really good fine thread for normal sewing.
The upper looper:
Isafil – another Ackermann sewing thread - machine embroidery 100% viscose. This is available in a wide range of colours and also available in variegated thread. If your hemming is running correctly this is the only thread that you notice.

Adjustments
Set the lower knife knob to “1”
Slide overlocking width to the front.
Stitch length to 1.25
If anyone wants me to take pictures of where these are on my machine let me know. My machine is also close to 20 years old but the working parts should be similar.

Preparing the machine.
Calico sample needle 5, upper looper 5, lower looper 9.
Fine silk sample needle 6, upper looper 7, lower looper 8.
The secret is a tight lower looper which pulls the Isafil thread around the edge.

I hope this helps those who aren’t achieving the results they want.
Bev.B
Attached Images

Old 2008-03-16, 11:01pm
Enjoying Life!

I will try these adjustments tomorrow. I did get it working great then suddenly, for no reason, my thread started doing the same thing as above! I pretty much gave up on it for the last day or two. Thanks for the info!
Laura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bev.B View Post
I think I get a pretty good edges on fine silk with my overlocker. I went rummaging through my old pile of dyed fabric which has been stuffed in my cupboard since the early 90’s. The silk I found was 8m/m (weight or thickness) Habutai (plain woven Jap silk.) a little on the thin side maybe, but what was at hand.

More interesting I think is the way I finished all my scarves back then. I did a rolled edge on my overlocker.
A rolled edge is made with a short, narrow stitch. The raw edge rolls around the narrow stitch finger to the wrong side where it is hidden under the stitching. Your machine should be sewing correctly before your start. All machines differ and some have the adjustments built in, other machines require a change of foot or throat plate – check your manual. My threads of choice are:
The needle and the lower looper:
Ackermann Rasant sewing thread. This is a really good fine thread for normal sewing.
The upper looper:
Isafil – another Ackermann sewing thread - machine embroidery 100% viscose. This is available in a wide range of colours and also available in variegated thread. If your hemming is running correctly this is the only thread that you notice.

Adjustments
Set the lower knife knob to “1”
Slide overlocking width to the front.
Stitch length to 1.25
If anyone wants me to take pictures of where these are on my machine let me know. My machine is also close to 20 years old but the working parts should be similar.

Preparing the machine.
Calico sample needle 5, upper looper 5, lower looper 9.
Fine silk sample needle 6, upper looper 7, lower looper 8.
The secret is a tight lower looper which pulls the Isafil thread around the edge.

I hope this helps those who aren’t achieving the results they want.
Bev.B

~ SRA #T62