No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-07-09, 5:34pm
Remember to keep smiling

Default How do you store your stringers

I use stringers just about every time I sit to torch. I have a couple of tubular shape ice trays but I am forever trying to match them up to the correct color rod. My glass rods are stored in the square fence posting. I would love to hear any and all suggestions on how you are able to keep them taged or stored with the correct color rods.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SRA#P109
Old 2010-07-09, 6:05pm
Dangerous Woman

Good luck. I have a ton of stringers, well maybe only 100 pounds. I end up pulling stringers everytime I plan to use them because I can't keep track of which ones are which color. Except my tera and raku stringers - I pulled a bunch of them at one time and put them in the fence post storage with the rods.

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2010-07-09, 6:12pm

Very carefully. I just reorganized mine today. Then swept the studio floor!

Old 2010-07-09, 6:43pm
And silence is golden

I just bought some really skinny stringers about the size of angel hair pasta. They are extremely fragile. I decided the best place for them would be in a devided tray, that will eventually go in the top drawer of my portable torch cart. For now, they are in a 4x4 PVC square tube.

If I can only figure out why I bought them in the first place, I'd be happy!
Old 2010-07-09, 7:06pm
Formerly "HillyBeads"

I never could figure out a good way, so I pull them as I need them now. Sometimes I do pull a few silver glass ones at a time, and for those I put a removable label around all of them, and just pull one out of the bunch at a time.

Old 2010-07-09, 7:11pm
Mr Brutus RIP

I keep mine standing in jars. I have LOTS of jars LOL
I have some with murrini that I make to use and only cut as I need, some with vine stringer, some that are enameled, some that are just brights, and a few misc jars.
I keep my sis in a draw right next to me cause they are so fragile.
I just hate that the bugs get in to the jars so I have to empty and clean from time to time.
sue

Old 2010-07-09, 7:55pm
Remember to keep smiling

I have them in ice trays, vases, jars and I don't know how many times I used the wrong color stringer thinking I had a match and not realize it till I pull one of my little critters out of the kiln and he has two different arms, legs eyes......UGH

Nancy, I really like the idea putting them in the rod storage with the rods I wonder if I could find some sort of tube of some sort to slide them in next to the rod?

SRA#P109
Old 2010-07-09, 8:23pm
Somewhat out there!

a smaller tube inside the bigger is a great idea. somethimes thay look like a totally different color altogether after you pull them. but it would have to be prettu small
Old 2010-07-09, 8:35pm

I went to Michael's and purchased very tall skinny vases. They cost $1.99 each and they are about 8" tall. I had my husband make me a wooden box for them to stand in securely. It works out great. I pull tons of stringer so I basically have a vase for almost every color that I pull.

Last edited by glassactcc; 2010-07-09 at 8:37pm.
Old 2010-07-09, 10:10pm
beads....mmmm

I use empty jars....lots of them! lol
Old 2010-07-09, 10:15pm
da General

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaP View Post
I use stringers just about every time I sit to torch. I have a couple of tubular shape ice trays but I am forever trying to match them up to the correct color rod. My glass rods are stored in the square fence posting. I would love to hear any and all suggestions on how you are able to keep them taged or stored with the correct color rods.
Just put your labeled full rod in with your stringers so you know which color it is. That's what I do!

|
|
|
|
Old 2010-07-09, 10:55pm
I like to melt things

I use the same colours until I run out of something and then substitute something else in, which means that the only stringers I have at any given time are the ones I am actively using up. It really saves me a lot of pain.

-
-
Old 2010-07-09, 11:04pm

Smile Stringer Storage

Hi
We eat alot of salad especialy in the summer. We buy these bacon bits and they come in tall thin jars. The labels come off super easy. We buy those gherkin pickles and they come in the same jars. They can hold alot of stringers. I put silver glass rods in these too.
They look really cool if you paint them. I have some glass paint that you put your items in the oven to cure the paint. So you can be color co-ordinated too.
penny5658
Old 2010-07-09, 11:17pm

I stand mine up in the tall plastic tubes that taser gun cartilages come in. They are about 6 inches tall and I can cut them down to any size I need. They also work great for storing my frit.

Old 2010-07-10, 4:40am

I use these from harbor freight. The dividers come out so the stringers fit. I have one for cool colors and one for warm colors and then different ones for different coes.

http://www.harborfreight.com/24-divi...ner-94458.html
Old 2010-07-10, 12:52pm
Dangerous Woman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayley View Post
Just put your labeled full rod in with your stringers so you know which color it is. That's what I do!

Well Duh! How simple is that! Why is it the simplest solutions work the best and can be the last thing you would think of! Thank you!

I've been getting the bacon bit jars lately and have thought they would be good too. Thanks for the reminder!

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2010-07-10, 2:04pm

Quote:
I agree that this is a great idea. Also, it allows you to see the original rod color, besides not having to guess the color. Smart idea. Thanks.
Old 2010-07-10, 3:04pm
Remember to keep smiling

Thank you you all for taking the time to give me your suggestion some really great ideas to choose from here.

SRA#P109
Old 2010-07-10, 5:11pm
Bead Crone

Funny this thread came up...I've been thinking of getting a large test tube holder, say for about 25 to 50 tubes, along with a box of test tubes, and setting it up at my torching station once I get my studio up and running. I like the idea of the test tubes because they're large enough without taking up too much room, and I can put individual colors in their own tube, labelled.

Definitely not the least expensive solution, but it appeals to me for the long term.
Old 2010-07-10, 5:53pm

I have an plastic box, 13" X 8" X 2" high, with 12 molded compartments. Then I got a bunch of 3 3/4" X 2" plastic zip bags with the white stripe on them to write on. I pull my stringer, and when cool slip them into a labled bag, and stand it up in one of the compartments. I seperate the compartments into colors so I can find the color I need. I stand the box up against a wall so the bags stand upright. It's not perfect, as sometimes the stringers can get tangled up, but it's cheap, and I can store some of every glass rod I have in a very small space...
Cate
Old 2010-07-10, 6:02pm
Sheila Davis Designs

I'm a junk store junkie,so I buy the tall shot glasses or skinny short vase.SIS ,Raku and black in one,purples and pinks in one,blues in one,oranges and browns in one,silvered glass in one,special flowers stringers in one(like rose cane).The trouble is I don't know exactly which color is which so if I really want a certain color,I pull new ones anyway!!

Old 2010-07-11, 6:22pm
Beadawhaaaa??

Quote:
Yep... I just figured this one out a week ago after I got an order of 30 'new' (new for me) colors plus refilling older stock. I use the tube ice trays for long stringer and small spice or small baby food jars for shorter stringer. If I have some shorts, I'll use those with a label for the stringer. I now keep a box of labels and a fine point marker near. Before I did this I had piles of stringer all over the place.
Old 2010-07-11, 6:38pm
Remember to keep smiling

Gail that is the ice trays I am using now love them I went ahead today and placed a tagged rod with each color going to try this out but I am also going to find some type of tubing to place in the cubby holes next to the rods. I will let everyone know how it goes.

SRA#P109
Old 2010-07-11, 8:39pm

Cigar tubes work pretty good. My hubby enjoys a cigar from time to time and gets the ones in a glass tube or aluminum tube. I have been collecting them and using them for my stringers! I scribble the color/colors on a label and put that on the tube, presto! And, since I hoard jars, I use a wider mouthed mason jar, which they stand up in perfectly! Might be a good idea to ask your local cigar store if they have any extra containers!

Kristy
Old 2010-07-11, 8:55pm

I store mine in a pleasingly chaotic manner all the %&**(@! all over my bench. They keep the rods kind of floating on the top of the pile. But really, I do pull fresh ones at the beginning of a session, can't keep the colors straight otherwise.
Old 2010-07-11, 11:41pm
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by della View Post
I store mine in a pleasingly chaotic manner all the %&**(@! all over my bench. They keep the rods kind of floating on the top of the pile. But really, I do pull fresh ones at the beginning of a session, can't keep the colors straight otherwise.
me too!! an organised work space is a sign of a boring mind

the only ones i keep track of are the silver glass stringers and i just put them in a set spot on the desk

i usually pull fresh ones for each bead i make so i tend to use them up pretty well, most of the time i'm squashing the nub of the last used one onto the end of the rod

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2010-07-12, 9:55am
Who me?

The 8-10 colors that I use frequently, I keep on my workbench to the right. All of the others are placed in soda straws and stored in the cubby hole with their corresponding rods. I use fence railing for the cubbies. I know I'm anal but I can work with a messy workbench.
Old 2010-07-12, 11:39am
Crispy Critter

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamper View Post
soda straws
Brilliant!!!

Old 2010-07-12, 12:03pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamper View Post
soda straws
Ooh, I second that! Great idea, thanks!

Kristy
Old 2010-07-12, 5:46pm
Remember to keep smiling

Love the cigar tubes and soda straws ideas.

SRA#P109