LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-09-24, 2:00pm

Default What does a rod of multicolor dark look like?

I saw a beautiful set by Dawn last week and she said it was multicolor. I know I bought some so I have searched through all my glass, quite a task, and nada. I did find some rather large diameter rods, about 7-8mm, that look dark red, almost brownish. Sorry, no pic. They are unlabeled which means they likely came that way and I forgot to mark them ("I'm sure I'll remember: Hah!)

Is this my multicolor? Suppose I could try it but I've wasted all my torch time looking through all my glass! (There is some 96 on the top shelf, haven't gone through all of that...could be there...I don't use it much...) And if this is multicolor, is it 96?
Old 2012-09-24, 3:04pm
Lampworkaholic!

Dawn used regular Multicolor not Dark Multi in that set (I asked her). Dark Multi looks like a red brown. Regular Multi is tan and looks just like Effetre Powder Pink (don't ask me how I know this).

The defining characteristic of regular Multicolor is that the tip of the rod strikes to a light turquoise blue when you melt it.

ETA: Dark Multi looks the same in 104 and 96, red brown.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox

Last edited by Elizabeth Beads; 2012-09-24 at 3:57pm.
Old 2012-09-24, 3:35pm

Suzan.........on the left Multicolor COE 104 and on the right Multicolor Coe 96.
Hope that helps.

Elke
Old 2012-09-24, 3:52pm
offically down under

My multicolor dark in 104 is the same color as the rod on the right.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2012-09-24, 3:55pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

There were some almost Aubergine (Eggplant) rods that came for the Multicolor Dark 104. They used to be almost a khaki but it was a pre-struck pull I think - It makes the most gorgeous deep deep purple.

Old 2012-09-24, 4:11pm

Tammy that's right there're also Multicolor Dark rods COE 104 looking the same as COE 96 rods.
COE 104 Regular Multicolor L 6209
COE 104 Dark Multicolor L 6206
COE 96 Dark Multicolor RW 736

Elke
Old 2012-09-24, 4:20pm

Yep, I've had two different versions of the 104, one the dark red brown which gives a really dark prple with some blues and then the lighter tan/adobe colored rods which are usually more blue with some purples in it. I love both versions and hope I can keep getting both. The latest batch I received this summer was the lighter version.

Old 2012-09-24, 4:23pm

Thank you everyone! What I have is the dark 96. Looks just like the picture. I hadn't noticed the ends looking like a target but they do!

Is the 104 as pretty in beads? Amber, did Dawn use 104 or 96?

I need all of them (As I was looking through my glass to find my stash of multicolor dark, I also did a little organizing. I was a little overwhelmed by how much glass I have now when getting it all together. The best I can come up with is I can always sell it, made into beads or in rods. It is not likely to go down in value. Weak excuse. But really, how can I resist having it all? Oink.)
Old 2012-09-24, 4:43pm
Lampworkaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locococo View Post
Tammy that's right there're also Multicolor Dark rods COE 104 looking the same as COE 96 rods.
COE 104 Regular Multicolor L 6209
COE 104 Dark Multicolor L 6206
COE 96 Dark Multicolor RW 736

Elke
There is also COE 96 R198 Regular Multicolor, just to keep things more interesting/confusing.

I'm pretty sure Dawn used the 96 Dark Multi but that is just a guess, knowing her love of 96 Raku.

Me, I like the 104 versions every bit as much. When I use up my 96 I probably will phase out that COE, except for a few things like veiled cane, shampoo glass, and the Gaffer Chalcedonies.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox