No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-11-15, 8:57pm
Bead semi-newbie

Default Free Trautman Art Glass excel spreadsheet

i took all the working directions for their glass from their website and put into an alphabetized spreadsheet and Merry Christmas to us all.

If you'd like a copy of this please email me at

mountainbead@gotsky.com

its a pretty big, 12.7 KB, and i don't want to fight this site ( i have trouble loading photos...........) and not get it to you so give me a holler and it will be an attached file for you via return email. imagine the wrapping paper and bow..................

this is a demi thank you to everyone who shares so much with so many
LOVE silver glass
Old 2012-11-16, 3:23am
Resident hippie

Thankyou Sarah!
I will email you. I don't have a lot of TAG but it will be a real help when I get to using it. Part of the reason I haven't is because I need to know more!
Much appreciated.

Have FUN!!!!! It's not about perfection..... Leslie - [not so] Crazy Woman

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-11-16, 10:34am
Bead semi-newbie

Default Attached TAG spreadsheet

Anna: i'm going to try and attach the file to this message to see if it goes through. maybe it will just sit and spin............ it will send a PDF and a TXT file. here is the PDF
Attached Images
File Type: pdf website working tips as PDF.pdf (102.5 KB, 735 views)
LOVE silver glass
Old 2012-11-16, 10:38am
Bead semi-newbie

Default TAG as TXT

let's try a text file
Attached Files
File Type: txt website working tips.txt (5.5 KB, 486 views)
LOVE silver glass
Old 2012-11-16, 10:40am
Bead semi-newbie

i have to say i am amazed, just opened the pdf and and txt and WHAMMO, it worked. nice that the data will now be available from the LE site. learned a lot, love it.
LOVE silver glass
Old 2012-11-16, 12:01pm

Thanks, Sara; very nice of you to take the time to do this.

Mimi
Old 2012-11-17, 9:48am
Grateful Member

Default TAG Spreadsheet

Hi Sara,

Wondering if you got my email. I'm quite sure I sent one, but I can't find a copy, so who knows?

Wanted to thank you for taking the time to do this spreadsheet ...AND ... for sharing it gratis with the rest of us. I'd love a copy. I'm at rosebead@sbcglobal.net.

Thanks.
Barb Rose
Old 2012-11-17, 10:58am
Bead semi-newbie

Barb: no didn't get your email but sent the file just now via regular email.

Everyone: I just realized that I only cited the working directions for the sample pack of glass I got and there are actually a couple more colors……………… something called Transcendental looks fab and i don't have it, so sorry. i will update this to the entire rod colors as soon as i play with my BIG HONKIN mandrels i just got. 6mm and 10mm baby! dipping was weird and now i fear the hollow tubes will act like the pipes on a jet engine with flames shooting out the undipped end. i fear my "bigger is always better" motto may not be good here. will post in my mandrel thread.
LOVE silver glass
Old 2012-11-17, 1:06pm
Bead semi-newbie

Default TAG with fire opal technique

OK out to the studio and got my notes. I used the following TAG glass with the "fire opal" technique. Technique: black base bead, foil, smears of white hot clear ends of the rod on top of foil and encase and strike. Try Tibet Transcendental, Dali Lotus, Fire Lotus, Dali lama and Tibet. Tibet is very faint and makes a wispy yellowish bead.

LOVE silver glass
Old 2012-11-17, 3:06pm

Hi, Sara, thanks for doing this!
BTW the Tibet batches vary WIDELY from run to run, batch to batch. I think the most recent batches are the best we have ever made, and would give far more color than the yellow you are getting (above.) Typically I can get Tibet to strike like I would strike a Rubino Oro - lightly in the back of the flame. But it will also strike with white-hot heat, as long as you are not UNstriking it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid
Old 2012-11-17, 5:37pm
Bead semi-newbie

jenny, so nice to hear from you. i love your glass! i like to have working directions in alphabetical order at my fingertips since i have usually started a bead and THEN think to figure out the tricks of the glass. the presentation on your website is outstanding but does not lend itself easily to a consolidated info sheet, and in alpha order, that people like me can grab in a panic. i know there is a way to insert photos into an excel spreadsheet which would make my effort and yours a great blend. adding a photo per glass type might make the sheet really sing but it then would be too many pages and a much bigger file. them are the breaks.

i worry that when i add insurance (assurance??) heat so the bead babies won't crack that i am somehow unstriking glass i have just stuck. this has always puzzled me. any thoughts?
LOVE silver glass
Old 2012-11-21, 3:30pm

Thanks, Sara. I do know what you mean, and I think that your eye will tell you if you are un-striking.

On the Tibet beads, which tend to strike pretty quick anyway, I "take out the insurance" in the stage before the surface details get added. For instance, dot beads. But in a larger, more complex bead I would just encase. The Tibet (and Transcendental) will strike through an encasement more slowly than on the surface, and I can coax out the color under the clear coat while gently and evenly reheating the whole bead.

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid
Old 2012-11-22, 10:48am
Bead semi-newbie

Default striking

i need to sit with people who know about striking and learn to strike by watching. i have an opportunity to do that in the San Francisco bay area on Dec. 1st at a regional isgb xmas party. is that cool or what??? perfect timing. took a class from Renee Wiggins last winter and she was showing us but need a refresher. thank yu so much for helping me and happy turkey day.
LOVE silver glass
Old 2012-11-24, 6:04pm
Naysayer

Thanks for doing this!
Old 2012-11-27, 6:27pm
Lover of Life

Sara, I sent an email to you about the spreadsheet, then I read on to find the pdf and txt docs. Ignore the email!

Thanks so much for this.

Becky

"Your dreams are waiting for you to come true."
Old 2013-01-04, 7:43am
Grateful Member

Sara,
I think I'm brain dead, 'cause I think you may have sent this to me before the holidays. That's what the Merry Season does to my brain, and it isn't getting better with each passing year. Anyway, obviously I haven't had a chance to download and use the file. If you've added any of the colors you mentioned or any new info, I'd love to have the update. Now I'll,just crawl,back into my little hole and hope things get better when the sun comes out here (Cleveland) ...perhaps in April or May.

Best,
Barb Rose
Old 2013-01-06, 11:46am
Bead semi-newbie

I have had so many requests for the spreadsheet i thought i would see which glass types i left out since i was working from the names of the ones i got as a sample pack. although i am away from my home computer with my original file, i am going to try and get a copy of my spreadsheet to amend and repost it. I misspelled Golden Emerald, sorry, will fix that and add: Blue Buddah2, Clarity, Black Cherry, Deep Purple, Fire Lotus (huge omission!) and Trancendental. Stay tuned.
LOVE silver glass
Old 2013-01-06, 12:46pm
I'm meeeeelting

Thank you!

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:
Old 2013-01-06, 2:20pm
Bead semi-newbie

Default complete Trautman spreadsheet

rainy day, cold studio equals finishing the Trautman spreadsheet with their working directions for all their 104 glass in ALPHA order, imagine how handy is that!!!! It is in a PDF file so you can open it yourself.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Trautman full working directions.pdf (109.3 KB, 463 views)
LOVE silver glass
Old 2013-01-06, 2:24pm
Bead semi-newbie

so that you don't think i am a TAG glass mole..........., i just love their glass, that's it. . i only seem to remember to figure out how to work a glass after it is in bead form and i am freaking out trying to dig through notes. Viola! now it is in one handy document in alphabetical order............better than a man, maybe.
LOVE silver glass
Old 2013-01-06, 2:44pm

Great info Sara! Hope you are well!!

Old 2013-01-07, 4:36pm

Dang, Sara, we want you to be a secret TAG mole! LOL!

Old 2013-01-09, 11:41am
Burning through glass

Sara! You rock! I'm so glad you're keeping up with the wonderful persuasive powers of silver glass!!! Yay! The PDF is awesome

Changeable Jewelry, Murrini & MORE!

Custom Supplies:

& Fine Art Beads & Jewelry:

&
Old 2013-01-09, 3:50pm

Wonderful- thank you!

You can't shine if you don't burn