No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-07-10, 8:03am
Flame Glass Beads

Location: Panhandle of West Virginia somewhere between PA and OH
Default Anyone out there a Martial Artist

Can anyone give me a tutorial on how to make a martial arts symbol. Here is a picture. Dragons not included. It might be as simple as using a stringer and twist where the dots are? Make the bead half and half and thend then twist? Of course I just thought of this idea this morning and my classmate is in surgery and I wanted to surprise her this week with a get well present. Any help appreciated.,
Old 2006-07-10, 10:42am
Michelle Morrison-Geschke

Default Yep! Okinawan Shorin Ryu (Karate)

Yin-Yang beads! What a great idea for a tutorial!

I'm new at this, and have not yet gotten a successful Yin-Yang bead! It's all about the balance, and mine seem to be lop-sided!

I have made a base bead and smooshed it (highly-technical term!) then "painted" the Yin-Yang on the surface with stringer. Those work well!

I have made some fun beads with Kanji symbols and that is a good way to practice your stringer control! Start with something simple like "strength".
There are lots of Kanji sites to choose from!

Sandra, what martial art do you study??
(we need a little "karate" smiley)
Michelle

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New items!

I'm mostly over at Facebook these days... and working. Life has gotten... Hectic. I will try to check messages here... but try FB if you need me...
Old 2006-07-10, 12:54pm
Flame Glass Beads

I am studing Kung Fu. I started it as a fitness thing (to tone up) and then got totally addicted to the art of it and I love that I have dropped 2 dress sizes in 2 months. Its teaching me some discipline which I've never had any of. It pushes me harder than I've ever been pushed and harder than I could ever push myself. And... its loads of fun!! Now my two young boys are in it and they love it. My husband you ask? Not a chance. Thanks for the tips I will have to try the stringer work. But like many I'm stringer challenged. If I come up with anything I'll let you know!
Old 2006-07-10, 1:01pm
Entropy increasing....

My DH taught Martial Arts for 25 years. He has blackbelts in 5 styles. I don't think being a martial artist has anything to do with bead techniques though. lol
Old 2006-07-11, 8:08am

When we were teaching my son to draw yin/yang symbols we had him draw a diagonal line through a circle. (In this case I would think you would do a round bead half black/while) Then to create the curves he would draw half circles in separate dirctions )( along the diagonal line. I would think you could dot with the respective color.

This coming from a first degree black belt if that helps.
Old 2006-07-11, 3:35pm
Flame Glass Beads

Default I think this will do

Thanks for your comments. How do you like these?

Old 2006-07-11, 3:38pm
ManBearPig

I practice the Scotish martial art of Fa-kyu. It's mostly headbutting and then kicking someone when they're down...

•
•
•
Old 2006-07-11, 3:47pm
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo
I practice the Scotish martial art of Fa-kyu. It's mostly headbutting and then kicking someone when they're down...

Old 2006-07-11, 3:51pm
Flame Glass Beads

I started about 2 months ago. Its the Che Wed something or other Kung Fu. I am a White sash the lowest you can be unless you have no sash- Next comes blue-green-grey-black-red. So I have my work cut out for me. Does anyone think the beads are close to what the symbol looks like?
Old 2006-07-12, 9:59am
Floral Obsessed

Sandra - they look great! The twist does make it harder to tell that it's a yin-yang, (because of the way the colour twists around unstead of being a smooth wave) but it's certainly evokes that image and it's a beautiful bead! Would it be possible to make it even simpler - maybe just make a black and white bead by making a black spacer right up against a white spacer and melting them together, then flattening it, then adding an extra large dot on each side to make the "dancing paisleys" comma-thingies, then a smaller contrasting dot inside each comma-head.

I'm sure there are proper terms for all these things - I apologize if my ignorance has offended anyone. -H.
Old 2006-07-12, 11:21am
Flame Glass Beads

Heather, I see how that could work and I will give it a try and let you see the results assuming I have positive outcome! Or maybe even if I do not. I do appreciate your comments and I'm on my way.
Old 2006-07-12, 11:49am
Flame Glass Beads

Thats the ticket, thanks so much. With some practice the dots place in the center it works perfectly. I can't wait to try some more. I have one in the kiln I will show you later.
Old 2006-07-14, 9:26am
Flame Glass Beads

Default I thought I had posted the results...

But I guess not here is what I came up with...
Old 2006-07-14, 9:43am
ManBearPig

That's not too bad at all, especially for the first time trying something...

•
•
•
Old 2006-07-14, 11:34am
Michelle Morrison-Geschke

Default Sandra!

Nice bead Sandra! Great color balance too...however, I think I should probably see it in person to be sure

Off to wait by the mailbox....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandra j ziolkowski
But I guess not here is what I came up with...

and
New items!

I'm mostly over at Facebook these days... and working. Life has gotten... Hectic. I will try to check messages here... but try FB if you need me...