5 pounds 66 26.83%
10 pounds 26 10.57%
15 pounds 4 1.63%
20 pounds 23 9.35%
Voters: 246. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2008-12-07, 9:57pm
Fancy Mammal

Default How much is enough?

So let's say there's a new odd glass that you love, love, love. Not only do you love it, you actually use it. Everyone else is also loving this glass, talking about loving it, and where to buy it. And right now (for a limited time), it's still available from normal sellers, like Frantz and others.

So how much of this glass do you have to buy before you feel you've got enough?

Please tell me about what you're hoarding!

Last edited by parisgal; 2008-12-07 at 10:01pm.
Old 2008-12-07, 10:07pm
Ad astra per aspera

I said 1 lb.

Other than black, white, clear, and ivory, my attention span is pretty short. Regardless of good intentions, infatuation with a color, or anything else a pound lasts for quite a while.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-12-07, 10:09pm
still making rainbows

I would say that 5 pounds is enough...it wouldn't last forever, but you would certainly have it for a while.

Oh, and I hoard coral...of all kinds...and that vetrofond sea foam green...can't remember the actual name of it

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Janet

Old 2008-12-07, 10:17pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

5-10lbs of great color for me.

Old 2008-12-07, 10:32pm
Oooooh Sparkly!

Yup, i would say 5-10 lbs. if it's affordable of course
Old 2008-12-07, 10:49pm
Fancy Mammal

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargirl View Post
I would say that 5 pounds is enough...it wouldn't last forever, but you would certainly have it for a while.

Oh, and I hoard coral...of all kinds...and that vetrofond sea foam green...can't remember the actual name of it
Oh, you mean 927? That's the color that taught me about odd lots... I had no idea that "odd" meant that it was going to run *out*!
Old 2008-12-07, 11:27pm
Happy 10 a.m.!

All. Of. It.

Mega Minor w/propane, tanked oxy and humor
Old 2008-12-08, 1:25am

10lbs mininium unless it is just a glass used as top layer accents(meaning use little). I bought 10lbs of one of the corals(sunrise or something like that, wasn't any of those crazy price odd-lots, just a different batch of coral) a few years back and so wish I had bought more....I have to ration it too much. I generally hate the corals, this one is scrumptious but photographs lousy. Of course then there was that yellow odd-lot that I bought 5lbs of and to this day wonder why I bought more than 1/2lb.... So guess it just depends on how I plan to use it.
Old 2008-12-08, 2:10am
Entropy increasing....

I am going with 10 lbs from now on.
Old 2008-12-08, 2:40am
doyenne of the homebodies

The most I've ever bought at once of one type of glass is actually 3 lbs (except for clear), and I still have most of it

Andrea
Old 2008-12-08, 5:28am
Logan's mommy

10 lbs...wow. Ok, see I'm learning something here. I was excited to buy my first full pound of glass a couple weeks ago and was amazed that I had that many rods of the same color. lol.lol.

Offshoot of this question.....how many beads does a rod of glass make? Lets say you are using that glass as the base color of an average size bead...maybe 19mm. Can you make more than one bead out of one rod?

Old 2008-12-08, 5:43am
Your Royal Fritness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmets View Post
10 lbs...wow. Ok, see I'm learning something here. I was excited to buy my first full pound of glass a couple weeks ago and was amazed that I had that many rods of the same color. lol.lol.

Offshoot of this question.....how many beads does a rod of glass make? Lets say you are using that glass as the base color of an average size bead...maybe 19mm. Can you make more than one bead out of one rod?
When I am using my favorite glass I all ways use junk clear for the base and encase it with my favorite glass. You would be suprised how far a pound of glass can go if you use it this way

You can get quite a few beads using one rod of glass.

Happy Holidays! Dawn

Old 2008-12-08, 6:02am

I have limited space and genuine love of color and kinds of glass - so I usually buy sample sets and then get 1/4lbs of the glass I love the most. I think I like the glass as much in rod or sheet form as I do in bead form .lol..

Sals
Old 2008-12-08, 6:12am

I typically buy a pound of glass of each color when I order - with the exception of the 1/4 lb of the original Terra I bought (that I've never used). I still have a pound of the original Ink Blue and a pound of the Copper Green that everyone was wanting 4-5 years ago.
Old 2008-12-08, 6:45am

Corals? I'm hoarding every stick of stripey coral I was able to get my hands on. I wasn't buying glass when it came out (stupid budget) & had to get it in dribs & drabs from the garage sale when I had bits of cash. I'm a serious coral freak, but don't have the budget to hoard the amounts of glass I'd like to!

I missed out on curdled Ivory too (Gotta swap Nikki somethin' for a quarter pound of it ...I *know* she's hoarding a serious amount!)

I'm pathetic--I was looking at one little bundle of glass last night (something I really love & use in tiny bits) & thinking "I cracked a tooth, I need it fixed because it *hurts*!...do I list this in the garage sale, or...do I just budget myself even tighter for the next month?"....the attempt at budgeting is winning
(if the budget loses, the glass will go up for sale )
~luna

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2008-12-08, 7:06am

Quote:

Most of us(not all) that buy larger amounts sell for a living so go through more glass than average. Depends on the width and diameter of the bead too but 19mm most likely 2-3 beads out of a 13 inch rod. I work smaller than that generally so don't remember exactly. I do know I get 11-12 11mm(diameter) spacers out of an average effrette 13 inch piece.
Old 2008-12-08, 9:44am
Mary Lockwood

Even after 6 years of full time flamework, the only color I've ever ordered more than a 1/2 a pound at a time is clear, white, ivory and black.

I don't get hooked on colors. I use what I have and do my best with it. When it is gone, I pick a different rod.

The only color I've ever felt the least bit attached to was effetre's Orange Delight and I ordered a half pound of that two years ago and still have over half of it left. LOL

~~Mary

edited to add: I don't use favorite colors to make solid base beads. I make clear cores, encase them with the color and they still look like solid color..without using up all my good stuff.

Old 2008-12-08, 9:46am
Facebook addict

I'd say 5 lbs, but if I used it most everyday, it would be 10lbs!

Mini cc w/2, 5 lpm concentrators
Old 2008-12-08, 9:54am
Queen Bee

I bought two pounds of the curdled ivory, and that's by far the largest amount of one color I have ever bought. Of course, I'm just starting out. I was so nervous ordering that much, but y'all got me in such a frenzy about it. I think it's called mass hysteria (LOL!)

Now I'm afraid to use it, don't know how to use it, and I just bow to it's fabled greatness daily!

BTW - what's everyone's fave 104 black to use? Especially with frit?

Donna

Vintage & Contemporary Beads, Findings, Chains, Trinity Brass, Vintaj, Bead Tubing, Bobbins

Handmade Artist Lampwork Jewelry
Old 2008-12-08, 11:28am

When Tequila Sunrise came out I bought 30 pounds of it. I sold about 10 pounds of it to my sister. I now only have 8.5 pounds left. I have never regretted my purchase. Glass doesn't get old (like polymer clay), it only gets more expensive over time, and batches vary. You can never have too much glass, imo! If you KNOW you love it, buy a lot!

Candy

Old 2008-12-08, 11:36am

I think I have 20 lbs (minus whatever I've used) of bubblegum pink... 10 lbs plus of curdled ivory and Vetro dark translucent ivory, 10 of streaky sapphire... If I like something and it may be gone soon, I stock up.

And coral? Lyn, don't even get me started. It seems I "need" to add some of it on to each order, just in case it's a different variety.

I have an addictive personality, but I restrict my addiction to glass...

~:
:~
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2008-12-08, 3:01pm
Fancy Mammal

Quote:
That's part of the reason that I asked about this - I find it amazing the different amounts that we "need", and I know how much I'll buy of a color has changed.
Old 2008-12-08, 3:25pm
Logan's mommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeadBlossoms View Post
I bought two pounds of the curdled ivory, and that's by far the largest amount of one color I have ever bought. Of course, I'm just starting out. I was so nervous ordering that much, but y'all got me in such a frenzy about it. I think it's called mass hysteria (LOL!)

Now I'm afraid to use it, don't know how to use it, and I just bow to it's fabled greatness daily!

Ha, ha. I wonder if it only affects connecticut girls. I ran out and bought another 2 pounds of curdled ivory too so now I have 3 total. lol.lol. You might have just started but I haven't even done that yet.

Old 2008-12-08, 3:31pm
A True Woofer

I bought 5 lbs of the curdled ivory, just in case. That's an enormous amount of glass for me - for one color. Usually I'll buy 2 lbs of an odd lot that I really like. It lasts me a long time.

Old 2008-12-08, 3:34pm

It definitely depends on what I use the color for. Base beads - I will go for 10-20 pounds are so. Or more if I am really in love.
Amy

Old 2008-12-08, 3:47pm
Fancy Mammal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeadBlossoms View Post
Hades. Though I haven't tried it with frit. I makes anything reactive / silver pop nicely, though.
Old 2008-12-08, 4:09pm
In spite of it all!

I said 15 pounds... Heck.. I make XXL beads... no point in not having a life time supply!

Our ultimate freedom is the right and power to decide how anybody or anything outside ourselves will affect us. ~ Stephen Covey

Old 2008-12-08, 7:47pm

(I wanna cry. I've never had spare cash to buy more than a pound of *anything* )

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2008-12-08, 8:33pm
In spite of it all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunamoonshadow View Post
(I wanna cry. I've never had spare cash to buy more than a pound of *anything* )
LOL.. Oh ya.. right Luna! You have bought more then a pound of frit at one time.... I am sure of it!

Our ultimate freedom is the right and power to decide how anybody or anything outside ourselves will affect us. ~ Stephen Covey

Old 2008-12-08, 10:27pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunamoonshadow View Post
I am immensely blessed with people buying my beads - yourself included - that allows my extravagences. Thank you, and I didn't mean to make you upset.

~:
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon