Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-04-30, 6:03pm
Wonderland sounds fun...

Default Anyone work in the garage with an oxycon?

Well, I live in Florida and guess what? Its hot. Go figure. This is the first year with my new (well, used) oxycon and so far, its shut off on me 3 times. The first time, I thought well, crap, I need a new one. But then it came on when I turned it on so I thought it was the heat and it just over heated. We had a few more cool fronts and I've been good til today. It's smoldering outside. It "overheated" this afternoon and shut off. Motor still goes, you can hear it, but doesn't work. This evening, I've been out there maybe an hour, with a fan blowing on it (thinking maybe it will cool it down, and it did it again. How frustrating when ur in the middle of sit down, burn out, beadmaking session. I wish I could move my studio indoors but no room with the little guy running around. We are moving the end of June and we are getting a house with an extra room I can convert into my play area but what am I supposed to do until then? Anyone have any suggestions?? I've been on this kick where there is no stopping me at the torch. I REALLY wanna make beads but what the heck is a girl supposed to do?? I'm bummed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

*+.+*
C L E A R A N C E Sale in my Etsy *+.+*
Old 2010-04-30, 6:15pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

that shouldn't be happening even somewhere hot - have you checked the filters and washed the foam ones? Do you have it out so it has plenty of space around it?

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2010-04-30, 6:18pm
Wonderland sounds fun...

Yep, filters good. I did pull it out some so it wasnt against the cabinet. I have the fan blowing on it at the moment to see if I can get it to kick back on in a little bit

*+.+*
Old 2010-04-30, 6:18pm
Bad Cat Glass

I live in south eastern NC and have my studio in the garage. In August, it can get into the 90s and beyond, so I usually only make beads in the evening, but it's still plenty hot. I've never had the oxycon turn off, even when it's very humid. Just for comparison sake, I have a 5 lpm oxycon and a minor torch.
Old 2010-04-30, 6:20pm
Wonderland sounds fun...

Hmmm... there must be something wrong with it. Maybe I should call the oxy guy and let him switch it out. He said he would no problem, its just a drive.

*+.+*
Old 2010-04-30, 6:23pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I would switch it out, definitely.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2010-04-30, 6:25pm
Wonderland sounds fun...

Thanks guys! I'll see if he's open on a Saturday.

*+.+*
Old 2010-04-30, 7:06pm
PyronamixK

Your cooling fan might be out.
Old 2010-05-01, 12:00am
offically down under

I work year round in my garage and it can get very hot in the summer. A while back, mine stopped working after a couple of hours and when I touched the oxycon, it was very hot. The next day, same thing happened only it shut off much sooner. Ended up, the sieve bed was dead and the whole thing needed to be overhauled. It's worked great for a couple of years now but I am much more careful about changing the filters.

Old 2010-05-01, 2:59am

Tammy can you tell me how often you change out or clean your filters, I have had my oxycon for about 15 mths and have not done anything to it yet and wondering if its time. Have done about 300 hrs on it since I got it and its in the middle of a three car shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammydownunder View Post
I work year round in my garage and it can get very hot in the summer. A while back, mine stopped working after a couple of hours and when I touched the oxycon, it was very hot. The next day, same thing happened only it shut off much sooner. Ended up, the sieve bed was dead and the whole thing needed to be overhauled. It's worked great for a couple of years now but I am much more careful about changing the filters.
Old 2010-05-01, 8:24am
Bad Cat Glass

Stephl, I can tell you that the filters need to be changed about every six months, or more frequently if you're using the machine constantly. I only know this because I had an issue with my machine and learned the filters needed to be changed more often than I was doing it, although in the end, it didn't solve the problem for me.
Old 2010-05-01, 3:08pm
offically down under

Every 6 months for the large filters but every month for the big flat meshy filter. I just shake that one out. Some folks say that you can wash the big cottony filters but I found that they didn't dry well and got moldy. New filters aren't that pricey and fixing your machine can be.

Old 2010-05-01, 6:29pm

Thanks Ladies

Looks like I will be doing a bit of maintenance this week