Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-07-13, 8:08am
state-eternal change

I use one of those artist paint brush holders... I can store a bunch of different stringers in each hole and can organize them easily too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-07-13, 8:25am
Most have those beadies

I've bought 12 sets of salt & pepper jars to storage my stringers:

Works perfectly.

my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
my

my
my

Old 2010-07-13, 10:29am
dances with ideas...

Wow Linda, that is a truly great tip!! Thank you!!

I know it's slightly off topic, but I was recently reading about making small spice packets with straws (for backpacking, etc). I haven't tried it, but if it works for spices it should work for frit too, right? This link shows how to close off the ends.

http://www.munex.net/kekawaka/straws.html

Old 2010-07-13, 2:41pm
Mary Lockwood

I use the bottled water ice cube trays. I have one for 96coe and one for 104coe. This picture is of my old studio when all I had was 104, but I still have the same trays. Now I have them organized with ROYGBIV from left to right.

Old 2010-07-13, 6:58pm

I use small glass beverage bottles, like those from Perrier, Jones soda, wine coolers or Corona. If you stop by a glass recycler, you can usually buy these from them for 5 cents a bottle.
If you know anyone that is having a summer party, there is usually lots of empties that you could snag from them too..
Simply rinse out well and you are recycling!!

I most a lot of silver glass stringers so I always have lots pulled and ready to use. I combine glasses for use in stormed beads also, so I simply place a label on the bottle when I pull the stringers and store them on my counter that is behind me when I am sitting at my worktable.
Like Hayley suggested, I also put one rod of the silver glass in the bottle with the stringers.. That way if I need to pull an extra one on the fly... I don't need to go to my supply closet to pull just one rod.

E-Bay:

Old 2010-07-16, 6:26pm
Remember to keep smiling

I picked up some slurpie straws with the spoon on one end yesterday. Swamper mentioned using straws I believe it is really going to work great for me. Thanks so much.

I folded the spoon end inside the straw to close off one end. The straws are alittle larger than the standard straw. They will also hold a smaller size rod along with one or two stringers. These I am standing up in my ice tray. For a larger size rod I took a small rubber band and placed it around the stringer straw and rod placed in the ice tray also I found I can get at least two sets in one ice cube tubular slot that way. I haven't tried using a permmant marker on the straw to tag them but I can't see why that wouldn't work.

SRA#P109
Old 2010-07-30, 6:21pm
Who me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainygrrl View Post
Wow Linda, that is a truly great tip!! Thank you!!

I know it's slightly off topic, but I was recently reading about making small spice packets with straws (for backpacking, etc). I haven't tried it, but if it works for spices it should work for frit too, right? This link shows how to close off the ends.

http://www.munex.net/kekawaka/straws.html
That is soooo cool. Maybe it would work for small amounts of enamel too.
Old 2010-08-01, 6:26am
Glass-aholic

Someone had a bunch of test tubes for free a while back and you may be able to go to a vet or DR office and ask for expired ones. yes they do carry expiration dates, this is an excellent solution! did this and build a spinning tower much like the old crayon plastic towers that they made <<<If i could find one of these I would be REALLY REALLY happy to put stringer in it! LOL test tubes are really great for stringer! they even sell the ones that have the carrying tray, and it is easy to label the tube itself and pull out the tubes from the tray if you know you are looking for a few colors and set in a small jar, or other for ease before you set out to torch.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2010-08-01, 11:25am
Hot Glass Neophyte

GREAT THREAD. I love the ideas! Here are things I do:

1. The Dollar Store here has popsicle making forms (with the plastic handle inserts). I threw out the handles and put separate colors of stringers in the different popsicle tubes. Each one has 6 tubes and they are fairly narrow so they go alongside the edge of my work area well.

2. I use are tall juice glasses with the thick bottoms for weight, or tall shot glasses.

3. I also have the rotating spice round, and I filled it with skinny tall glasses and clear-packing-taped them together to stand upright and stay on the tray. Then I can spin the tray to the color I want.
Old 2010-08-01, 11:31am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I use the bottled water ice cube trays. I have one for 96coe and one for 104coe. This picture is of my old studio when all I had was 104, but I still have the same trays. Now I have them organized with ROYGBIV from left to right.

GREAT shape and idea!
Old 2010-08-01, 3:38pm
where is that UPS man?

Me to, lots of olive jars full of lots of stringers.... half my desk is pulled stringers or twisites...
Quote:
Originally Posted by glassymom View Post
I keep mine standing in jars. I have LOTS of jars LOL
I have some with murrini that I make to use and only cut as I need, some with vine stringer, some that are enameled, some that are just brights, and a few misc jars.
I keep my sis in a draw right next to me cause they are so fragile.
I just hate that the bugs get in to the jars so I have to empty and clean from time to time.
sue

Deb
SERIOUS GLASS HO

Old 2010-08-01, 3:39pm
where is that UPS man?

Mary,
WAY TO FREAKIN ORGANIZED FOR ME.... HARDY HARDY HAR>>> I AM IMPRESSED....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post

Deb
SERIOUS GLASS HO

Old 2010-08-01, 4:02pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jody Lee View Post
I use one of those artist paint brush holders... I can store a bunch of different stringers in each hole and can organize them easily too.
Squeee! Meee tooo! Snap!

I always wondered what this thing was. It was here when I arrived and was adopted to hold all my pre-pulled stringer. I assumed it was a pencil/pen holder thingy.

The rest just end up on the benchtop.

I do have a shallow tray in a drawer for twisties that comes out to play sometimes too.
Old 2010-08-01, 6:14pm

I store my interim working ones in a jar on my bench which gradually gets filled ... and since I never can figure out the ones I need (and therefore keep pulling more) I end up having a clear out and just dump them all in the bin!

On another vein ... I really like the 2mm stringers that you can buy - I find it hard to pull those, and was disappointed that CIM have started making 1mm (which I have no trouble making if I want them) and are discontinuing the 2mm.

Oh well.