AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

View Poll Results: How do you survive torching in hot weather?
I don't do it - when it is too hot, I work on other things. 31 23.66%
I don't need to open a window for make-up air and I have a great AC system - What heat? 11 8.40%
I just suck it up and suffer - I'm one bead away from a heat stroke. 33 25.19%
I batch anneal when the weather is hot so I can run the kiln when it cools down a bit. 8 6.11%
I only work in the early morning or late at night. 43 32.82%
I have a bunch of cool-off accessories. 11 8.40%
Other 13 9.92%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-07-04, 3:04pm

My kiln sits on a rolling, butcher block table, tiled to prevent the wood from burning. I torch at my kitchen table; beside me is a sliding glass door.
When it gets really hot in the summer, I roll my kiln outside and position it so that, when I finish a bead, I can open the sliding glass door and pop the bead into the kiln. It keeps the house cooler, even though the torch itself is running inside.
Old 2012-07-04, 11:02pm

I live in Seattle so never happens
della
Old 2012-07-04, 11:41pm

I torch at night but I'm a night owl and being awake through the wee hours feels right to me. I have A/C in the shedio, but hardly ever use it....may look into ducting it below the bench like Candice mentioned.

I just picked up a runner's head/sweat band. I was having problems with sweat running into my eyes while torching. Works great and only cost $3.00.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

All my children have paws
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Proud Member of "YOU PEOPLE" 9.13.11
Old 2012-07-05, 4:23pm
one day at a time

I almost died just hanging up the sheets on the clothesline in the backyard, at around 2pm. I got back inside the house and it felt like my ears were ringing. I filled up the tub with cold water and soaked in that, and then after a while I came down. We don't have a/c, so this is the only rescue I have. I sweat a lot every day almost during the summer months, so I make sure I eat well (to get potassium) and put some salt on my food. I've survived four summers in a row like this.

Last time I got the opportunity to sit in the a/c was at my friend's doctor's office. My teeth were chattering so bad, it was a little embarassing...so I went outside. In the heat, you guessed.
Old 2012-07-05, 5:14pm
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

I actually quite like heat and humidity, so thus far I've been just sucking it up - I will admit my stringent safety wardrobe has slippeda lot. Instead of long sleeved high neck shirts, jeans, hiking boots, leather apron, kevlar sleeves, I've been wearing tank top, shorts, leather apron and a bandana to keep the sweat from dripping behind my glasses and blinding me.

BTW, I LOVE the high-tech wicking fabrics for running, cycling, or just general hot weather wear, but I would NOT recommend them in the studio. They're all polyester based, and if they didn't burst into flames when exposed to heat I'd bet they'd melt and stick to your skin.

L-111

Old 2012-07-08, 7:37pm
Dynamic Duo

Had to vote other - We live in a perfect mediteranean climate, so it is RARELY to hot. Would love the occasional day above 100.... We have had an unusually warm summer here, with lots of days above 80, lol.

Old 2012-07-08, 8:42pm

Even in 102 degree heat, the kiln and torch run in my studio BUT I do not teach if weather hits 95 or higher. Not everyone does well in the heat. Some of my tips:

Get up at 4:00 AM and work until 12:00 PM. I can see you making faces at this one, but it is soooo nice working in the quiet / cool of early morning hours. It feels good to have a kiln full while resting by the pool after the work day is over.

Freeze full size towels rolled up in the freezer. Place on your neck while working. If I can remember to do it, I also place zip lock bags with two inches of water in the center of the towel.

Soak your whole body with garden hose every hour

Drink more water than you need to.

Sometimes I will actually freeze chunks of ice in old milk cartons and put my feet in the ice water tub under my torch station. Goofy I know, but try it out for yourself. It works.

Headband catches the sweat

Aluminum chest protector reflects the heat off you.

Blast shields really take the heat off your face

cut circles out of cardboard and wrap them in heavy tin foil. place the circle between your hand and the bead. It will reflect the heat away from your hand and back on the work. Dont put it too close to the bead and NO do not place the thing in the kiln. I hold my mandrel with hemostats while removing the disc.

Do not fight the heat, embrace it. Again, sounds stupid, but it is true. Our mind is like a team of wild horses and we are the only ones with the reins... My Dad worked with tanks filled with thousands of pounds of KG33 glass and at times had to go under / around to adjust or repair. Horrible heat. He taught me that the only way to get that close to the heat and keep your head is to not fight the heat by being aggravated, frightened, or repeating "I cannot stand this" in your mind like a skipping record. Get your head together first, then get what you have to accomplished. Funny, he is 80 now and can still take a hot potato out of the oven WITHOUT an oven mit.

No A/C for me, however, a fan above the kiln blows the hot air out! Watch how you position the fan. You do not want air blowing into the kiln as you open the door. I am about to hook up a vent above both of my kilns in NJ. They are BIG boys 20 x 20 x 24 on the one and 24 x 18 and the heat they throw off really should get vented out. When winter hits, it feels wonderful in the studio when I alternate the use of those kilns.

Know what heat stroke is. I came pretty close last year to going to the ER by pushing it for the sake of filling orders during mid-day.

~ Starleen

Last edited by *StarleensStudio*; 2012-07-08 at 8:53pm.
Old 2012-07-09, 10:26am

Great tips, Starleen, thanks!

Glass Witch: n; a sandwich to which heat and pressure have been applied
Old 2012-07-09, 11:38am
The Harbinger of Cuteness

I checked everything except that I have AC and that I batch anneal... I have/do neither.

The main thing I did when I started lampworking again last summer and it was too hot was to cut my hair sooper short (I walked into the salon with bra-strap length hair and I asked the hair dresser for a crew cut but she wouldn't do it! ). When I first started lampworking in 2005 I lived in a place that never got too hot or too cold to use the torch or kiln. I sure do miss those days!

~
~

#M-191
Old 2012-07-09, 11:42am

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassymom View Post
Usually sweat runs down the back of my legs......
OMG I hate when that happens! I'm tempted to put rags in the crooks of my knees to stop it, 'cause (since we have SO many creepy crawlies on Kauai) it always makes me think there's a cockroach on my legs!

~
~

#M-191
Old 2012-07-09, 11:44am

I vote for drinking lots of water! I keep a terra cotta bowl on my workbench as a coaster because with the humidity cold cups of liquid sweat something awful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLC Beads View Post
I take more breaks and drink loads of water. No respirator when it's too hot (over 90 degrees) as I overheat quicker then.

~
~

#M-191
Old 2012-07-09, 12:16pm
The Andrea Half

Humidity is the biggest killer for me. I torch in my breakfast nook, so I do have AC of a sort, but between the makeup air and the heat of the kiln and torch, it can easily top 100 in my kitchen. I try early morning or late evening torching, when my schedule permits. I have to say that in summer I miss Texas weather; it is technically cooler here in Georgia, but the humidity is often over 75 percent; anything over about 40 percent is seriously draining.

Old 2012-07-11, 3:26am
what's a senior moment ?

No torching for me during these hot, humid summers in Georgia. Ick. Miserable summer weather and especially so this year even early in the mornings.

Old 2012-07-11, 6:45am

I work full time at a 'real' job and torch evenings and mornings on weekends when it's this hot. House has a/c and a vent is right next to my torching area. Even with that I sometimes can only stand about an hour or so until the sweat gets too much.....
Old 2012-07-11, 4:54pm
Melody of Glass

Default Basement studio

When I set up my studio, I was torn between the basement and a spare bedroom upstairs. Both had their challenges and I finally decided on the basement. In this recent heat wave we've had, I'm thankful it's downstairs. With the kiln and torch on, I'm very comfortable in a t-shirt and jeans and don't have to make torching a seasonal hobby.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Coming soon...

Old 2012-07-11, 7:13pm

Default move the kiln

Come summer, I move my kiln as far away from me as I can. It's "summer spot" is more in the middle of the room. When it is in it's "winter spot" its against a wall and puts off a lot more heat. Or seems to.
Old 2012-07-15, 11:28am
SCIENCE Teacher!

I use a room a/c unit when I have to torch and there's no choice, but it's not cheap to buy or run. I try to torch at night or early morning.
Old 2012-07-30, 11:25am

I live in Amarillo, TX...what we call the "great plains" and our temps have been averaging 97-105 the last few weeks. I torch in one garage & run my kiln in another garage. I keep the garage door open all day (whether or not I'm in there) to try to keep it ventelated. I work a 8-5 job, and torching after work is a joke. I keep a spray bottle of water on my table & when I get super hot, I'll go jump in the pool. It takes about one hour to dry out since we live in a zero humidity region. I keep telling my husband we have to do something about it, but what???
Old 2012-08-04, 1:13am
Everybody Needs Beads!

I would suck it up because I like to work during the day, but since it has been SOOO hot, the AC ("studio" attached to the house) would just run non-stop so the times I HAVE worked over this summer it's been 9pm-vampire like Astrid!
I'm thinking about window unit next year and close off the studio from the house and see how goes.
Why do you leave your bead door open when you work?

Beadygirlt. on

Old 2012-08-04, 12:34pm
Addicted to Frit!!!

This weather really sucks!! Even though I torch inside with A/C it still gets hot because of the open window for make-up air and my torch & Glasshive kiln going.

So, I recently purchased a portable A/C unit for the studio. It really helps!! I've torched twice with it so far and it's been keeping the room at a comfortable 75 degrees. It doesn't feel the 90-100 degree temps that are outside anymore.

Premium Frit Blends
Check us out on