Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-08-09, 6:29pm
I like fire....

Default preparing mandrels

I have picked of some bead release today but I was wondering how do I get the old stuff off the mandrels. I was thinking I could scrape it off but thought that may leave scratches in the stainless. How do you all clean them before adding bead release.

also how long do I need to let the bead release dry before using it?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-08-09, 6:49pm
Salt Box Beads

I soak my beads on the mandrels in hot soapy water over night. Then I pull off the beads, then I use a scrub pad and remove the rest of the bead release, do not put it down the kitchen sink...

Then I throw the bead release and water into the trash.

I then dry my mandrels with a paper towel and use a white buffer block to prepare them to grab hold of the bead release. I lightly buff them, wipe them down again with a paper towel and dip away.
Old 2012-08-09, 7:05pm
Loving learning

Some release says you can flame dry, some you need to air dry. I try to do mine the day before I use them just to be sure they're dry.
I'm lazy about cleaning them too, just use some 0000 fine steel wool (outside, with the breeze blowing the dust away from me) to get the residue off. Sometimes I'll hit them with the hose and wipe them down with a rough cloth instead.
Old 2012-08-09, 8:08pm
Unmedicated since '62

i run them through the dishwasher when im being lazy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2012-08-09, 8:14pm

I use Fusion so I don't have to do any of that stuff. lol

Old 2012-08-09, 8:14pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

Mine soak in water for 12 to 24 hours. Then I pull them out and use an old flathead screwdriver to break up the bead release on the mandrel by scraping down the mandrel with the old flathead. I pull off the bead and throw the mandrel back in the water. After I finish cleaning all my beads with the dremel I pull my mandrels out and wipe the rest of the release off with a paper towel. If I hit a stubborn spot I just use the screwdriver to scrape that loose a bit and then wipe it down with a paper towel.

Fast and ready to dip. I throw out my bead release and water too, never put it down the sink.

Old 2012-08-09, 8:40pm

I take a handful. lay them on the counter then slide/roll them on the counter. The mandrels rubbing against each other gets most of it off. Dunk them in water and roll them around some more if you need to.
Old 2012-08-10, 12:33am
Naysayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Muses Glass View Post
I use Fusion so I don't have to do any of that stuff. lol
This ^

But before that I soaked, took beads off and wiped them with used fabric softener sheets. They scrub well and the family was tossing them anyways.
Old 2012-08-10, 3:39pm
The Harbinger of Cuteness

I remove most of the bead release by scraping the bead up and down the mandrel while I'm taking the beads off, then to get the last of the release I use 800 grit sandpaper and scrub the mandrels under running water. The bead release tends to break on me when I'm working on the bead if my mandrels aren't roughed up a bit. Then I just dry them off with a kitchen rag so they don't rust. Everything rusts in a day or two here if it isn't completely dried, even the best quality stainless steel. And I'm not exaggerating. I've left wet mandrels on the kitchen counter overnight to dry and the next day when I get home from work and pick them up, there are rust marks on the counter. Actually, the mandrels are generally still wet. Even small puddles stay puddles here after days. We were gone on a two week vacation and the spot of water on the bathroom floor from my foot after I took my pre-vacation shower was still there when we got home two weeks later. Nothing evaporates, so the water stays there unless you mop it up. *ug*

Sorry about the sidetrack, just really frustrated with the humidity here on Kauai lately.

~
~

#M-191
Old 2012-08-11, 3:00pm
SCIENCE Teacher!

If I'm in a hurry I use one of those green Scotchbrite scratchy things. Most of the time I just get them damp and then grab a handful and rub them between my hands. You know, like if you were rubbing your hands together in anticipation? But with mandrels in between them. Most of the bead release comes right off, then if there is a small amount remaining I scrape it off with another mandrel.
Old 2012-08-11, 7:20pm
Unmedicated since '62

I'm actually surprised at how much trouble people go to to clean mandrels!

I usually run the bead up and down a bit to break it up then just rub the rest off with my fingers, I dry them with a cloth or paper towel then pop them on to of my warm kiln to completely dry before dipping

On of the things i have found is that if they're not bone dry the bead release will not adhere properly

Also, burning fresh mandrels in before use is vital

Old 2012-08-11, 7:57pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectDeb View Post
I'm actually surprised at how much trouble people go to to clean mandrels!

I usually run the bead up and down a bit to break it up then just rub the rest off with my fingers, I dry them with a cloth or paper towel then pop them on to of my warm kiln to completely dry before dipping
^This! I don't know how you all can wait so many hours to take your beads off. I dunk mine in a coffee mug filled with water for about as long as I can stand it (about 5 minutes, give or take), get them off, set 'em aside, and then just run my fingers over the mandrel and the bead release crumbles right off. No scrubbing for me. Wipe them off with a paper towel (Viva, but shhhh! That's a trade secret), and they're clean. Every once in a while I will take a scotch bright pad to the working end of my mandrel to keep the bead release sticking. Why make it more complicated than that?

After they're clean, I dip them in bead release and let them dry over night; or if I'm in a bind, I use a flame-dry bead release, so I have the option of instant gratification.

Making beads is my therapy, but the glass definitely costs more than a therapist!
Working on a Nortel Major Minor Burner with propane & EX-10 Oxygen Concentrator

Visit my shop on Etsy ~ TrickyPixiesJewelry ~
See my latest designs on Pinterest
Old 2012-08-11, 8:09pm
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickypixies_jewelry View Post
^This! I don't know how you all can wait so many hours to take your beads off. I dunk mine in a coffee mug filled with water for about as long as I can stand it (about 5 minutes, give or take), get them off, set 'em aside, and then just run my fingers over the mandrel and the bead release crumbles right off. No scrubbing for me. Wipe them off with a paper towel (Viva, but shhhh! That's a trade secret), and they're clean. Every once in a while I will take a scotch bright pad to the working end of my mandrel to keep the bead release sticking. Why make it more complicated than that?

After they're clean, I dip them in bead release and let them dry over night; or if I'm in a bind, I use a flame-dry bead release, so I have the option of instant gratification.
I soak mine for 10 min tops

Old 2012-08-11, 8:18pm

The only time my mandrels get wet is when I dip them. I pop the beads off and scrub them with a green scratchy pad, dip and dry.

"Whether you believe that you can or believe that you can't, you're probably right." Henry Ford
Old 2012-08-11, 8:50pm

Quote:

Ah! A beader after my own heart

Making beads is my therapy, but the glass definitely costs more than a therapist!
Working on a Nortel Major Minor Burner with propane & EX-10 Oxygen Concentrator

Visit my shop on Etsy ~ TrickyPixiesJewelry ~
See my latest designs on Pinterest
Old 2012-08-11, 9:46pm

Quote:
I use Foster Fire smooth and tough and don't have to soak mine at all. they pull right off.

Old 2012-08-11, 9:52pm
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpledragonfly View Post
I use Foster Fire smooth and tough and don't have to soak mine at all. they pull right off.
I do too, but mine are generally too long to pull right off, the small round ones come off easily

Old 2012-08-11, 9:57pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickypixies_jewelry View Post

I am a creature of habit. It relaxes me.

Old 2012-08-12, 12:56am
I'm meeeeelting

I soak mine for a few minutes, remove the beads and then wipe them with a damp paper towel.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:
Old 2012-08-12, 2:20am
Naysayer

When I used BOM you HAD to soak and scrub them, so depending on release some have to soak and scrub.
Now I use Fusion so it's a matter of how lazy/not lazy I am how long they soak. Now I just throw them in a big cuppa water and take the beads of, dry with paper towel and dip. My BHB (1/2, 1/4) mandrels I don't soak at all, it just slips off lol.
Old 2012-08-12, 10:59am
Glass-aholic

I just take wet mandrels and a scrubbie (the stainless steel ones, cuz it saves time and money) and lightly get off any excess then rinse and put my mandrels on the bench. They will dry.. Lol if I'm dipping them right away I dry them. I have a few scrap towel pieces in the shop I'll dry them with before dipping.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2012-08-12, 11:09am
I like fire....

What is the general opinion of Frantz Bead Separator? I just picked some up but have not used it yet.