Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-07-31, 4:30am
Flame Glass Beads

Location: Panhandle of West Virginia somewhere between PA and OH
Default What is Kronos?

I am partial to blues and when I saw the beads made with kronos I was intrigued. I hope its not a tricky substance like that raku. Can anybody tell me what it is and where to get it?
Old 2006-07-31, 4:33am
Certified Glassaholic!

You can get it from Double Helix Glassworks www.doublehelixglassworks.com

It is pretty tricky to use so playing with it will help you figure out how to get the best colors from it. I think Jed has a tutorial on his website to help get you started.

Cheers!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2006-07-31, 4:38am
Flame Glass Beads

Thanks, but i went to that website and they are closed Aug. 1st and they are out of stock. Does anyone know of anywhere else I can find some? And... Who is Jed?
Old 2006-07-31, 4:42am
Certified Glassaholic!

Jed is the owner of Double Helix. They make the glass. Unless you're buying it from someone who bought it and is getting rid of it the only place you can get it is directly from Double Helix.

Old 2006-07-31, 4:58am

Their email said they are moving to a larger manufacturing facility and will be back up soon.

Barb
Old 2006-07-31, 2:36pm

Kronos is a bit tricky but if you've mastered raku you should have no problem with this glass- it just takes a propane rich flame and patience. The other color Olympia Rain still has me stumped though!! If you keep an eye on the swap shop you may be able to find some.

Old 2006-07-31, 3:49pm
Moving on!

Cyndi - when you say propane rich, do you turn the propane up, or the Oxy down?

- nothing right now.
Old 2006-07-31, 3:54pm
Certified Glassaholic!

Propane up for a propane rich environment aka reduction.

Old 2006-07-31, 9:48pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angela Schoonen
Cyndi - when you say propane rich, do you turn the propane up, or the Oxy down?
I was doing it by turning the propane up but the other day I was running low on propane so tried turning the oxy down and found that worked better for me. There's probably not much difference either way...
You have to kind of waft it in and out of the flame- similar to using reduction glass. Let the bead cool a bit and bring it back into the flame- it takes a bit of patience. Encasing with clear really adds alot of depth to the colors. The best base I've discovered so far is Lauscha transp. purple but I've only been playing with it for a few torch sessions.

Old 2006-08-01, 4:22am
Flame Glass Beads

So you heat up the glass let it cool slightly and then pass it in and out of the flame untill you can see the color change? Is the propane so high it turns the glass black (carbon deposite) and then turn the propagne down to burn it off.? Or do you not turn it up that high?I have not been all that successful with raku and this sounds even more difficult. The transparent purple looks very dark and yet you can see the colors pop out. It looks alot like Boro. Is it completely compatable with 104 coe? I've been out of the loop this summer and this is something new to me. I'm assuming this is something new?
Old 2006-08-01, 9:56am
Oooooh Baby!

Kronos has silver nitrate in it. That's what gives it the beautiful effects.
You can get the same effects by fuming with silver nitrate, although must have incredible ventilation and use a heavy duty respirator.

Old 2006-08-01, 8:06pm

where in the flame do you put the bead for the reduction part? I have a Cheetah and I don't know if it's too hot but I get nothing but grey or nothing on black. I bet I've tried it on 50 beads by now and only a couple with a tad of color. Very frustrating because I have not had any trouble with raku.....
Old 2006-08-02, 7:51am
Oooooh Baby!

the following is from Jed at Double Helix:
"If you get mud you are probably reducing the glass too much. 3/4 inch slightly stretched candles works good, and remember that the further out in the flame you are, the more neutral to oxidizing the flame becomes as it matures and mixes. Lightly reducing brings silver to the surface, but it is the gentle reheating far out in the flame that allows the nucleated crystals to grow and develop polychromatic effects. Hope this helps.
Jed at Double Helix"

Old 2006-08-03, 5:14am

They only sell on TUESDAY morning??? That stinks..so if you work..you cant ever buy any....I wouldnt use their site even if i could after seeing how they exclude so many from buying!! I am ticked!! lmaooo

"Don't Worry, Bead Happy"

Old 2006-08-03, 7:23am

ok... another question.... when u reheat (strike) in the back of the flame... did u return it to a neutral flame or keep the propane flame???? Shari Barry