LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Old 2007-06-15, 12:13am
Ellyloo-YAH!

Default Mini off mandrel implosion bead

I posted a 'gobstopper' bead in the gallery, and when I told someone how to do it, they asked if i shared that info in this forum.

***this is not "My" technique, only my explanation. I figured it out based on all the info on LE and similar (prettier!) beads I saw that had been explained, i just can't find that thread again.****

Hot headers probably have it easier, you won't be melting the glass as fast, so it's easier to get the implosion without melting into liquid!

Melt the end of a clear rod and smoosh flat so there's a flat disk on the end. (a maria?)
Get the flat part sticky with heat and get a bit of frit stuck on the flat end.

Melt the EDGES of the disk a little.. (don't lose the disk shape)
Smoosh flat..
Melt the edges...
Smoosh flat
(if you know implosions, just do that until you like the look--i dont' know how to 'direct' my implosions...these are a few of my first ones)

WHen satisfied, slowly melt the disk into a round shape so that the implosion is contained on the end of the rod. (it's still the size of a large pea at this point)

Stick onto your bead!
Wait til the 'glob' is pretty solid,
THEN Burn off the rod. (otherwise you'll run the risk of pulling the rod and disfiguring the little implosion)
Tweeze off any excess clear on top of the glob when it's still liquid.
TA DA...
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-06-15, 3:51am

Thanks! I prolly should have been able to figure this out on my own, but for some reason, it wasn't adding up. I'm so glad you posted this!

-Annie
Old 2007-06-15, 5:16am
Ellyloo-YAH!

No problem!

I forgot to mention:
You do the implosion thing with the one hand, while keeping a bead warm in the flame in the other.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-06-15, 3:10pm
I speak Murrini!

Ellyloo:

Yea!!! Thanks so much for going "public" with this - you know I wanted you to put this out there for everyone...I know this will be a fun project for people to try, and you're a darling for sharing!!! I appreciate you adding the "multi-task" two-handed tip, too. I was wondering if these were made in advance on the ends of multiple clear rods and then rewarmed and added to the main bead later...I would have been blowing rods up right, left and center (and probably wondering what the heck I was doing wrong!) had I not seen this addition! So, there you go - you're officially "published", so to speak. As I mentioned privately, I know you'll be going places with your great beads and design ideas. Best of luck to you!!!

Hugs from CA,
DeAnne

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2007-06-15, 3:59pm
I think I could be a bead

Ellyoo, when you say to stick the implosion on your bead, is the bead that you are referring going to be the loop for the pendant?

Thanks,
Mallory
Old 2007-06-15, 4:55pm
Dangerous Woman

I tried this and got a really odd looking bead. But it was fun and I'll try again.

ETA It does look like a gobstopper! You should enter the glass food exchange and send in gobstoppers! Details in the patio!

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.

Last edited by playswithfire104; 2007-06-15 at 5:58pm.
Old 2007-06-15, 6:14pm
I think I could be a bead

Okay, now I get it! You used the implosions as a decoration on your base bead, right! Duh! It looks neat!

Mallory
Old 2007-06-15, 6:16pm
Ellyloo-YAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosebud101 View Post
Ellyoo, when you say to stick the implosion on your bead, is the bead that you are referring going to be the loop for the pendant?

Thanks,
Mallory
Okay, in one hand you have a bead on a mandrel, keeping it warm in the tip of the flame.

In the OTHER hand you have a rod of clear, on which you melt the tip, smoosh it down on a marver, and make a little flat disk on the end. dip it in frit so a couple of frit flakes stick to the middle of the disk.

Melt the flakes in, smoosh flat, melt, smoosh... then melt the end of the rod so that the clear melts into a 'tear drop'. You'll see the implosion really 'happen' at this point. (in fact, i'm not sure how many melt/smoosh's you really need to do... implosion experts can educate me on this... i have no idea on the 'science' of implosions)

Now you still have that bead warming in your one hand.
Take the clear rod with the teardrop, and place the tear drop bottom on the BEAD. Right now you're just placing a big DOT....with an implosion in it.

wait til it solidifies a bit, then aim the flame at the top of the drop where you want to disconnect. Melt the rod off.

Take your tweezers and pinch off any excess off the top of the drop.
Then I aim the flame at the bead so the drop melts INTO the bead a tad, to make a more solid connection.

Is that better? I typed the first out at like... midnight... sorry about that.

Old 2007-06-15, 11:10pm

Brilliant.tutorial.so.lovely.of.you.to.share.this. with.us!
Your.a.star!

Old 2010-07-08, 10:24am
Creatrixie

Very interesting...thanks Elly!

~Mary

There's always something new to learn!
COE 104
Old 2010-07-08, 8:44pm
Lovin' that glass...

Well now, I'll just be darned ....... ain't you the smartie-pants! I think this is fun. I went right away and made a something or another looking ugly bead. BUT I learned from it, and tomorrow I'll make one much better and photograph it and see if I can post the picture here. Having never done that, I'm requesting prayers for me...... heehee

Heck, I can't even get my picture to upload. Keeps telling me FAILED! and you know how much I love seeing that. So there. <groan> I'll keep trying until I get it.
Old 2010-07-08, 10:38pm
Oh my!

This is totally cool! Thank you so much for sharing.
Old 2010-07-13, 9:07am
Senior Moment

Thank you for sharing this! I will have to give it a try.

Old 2010-07-13, 12:06pm
Ellyloo-YAH!

aw thanks!

Old 2010-07-16, 12:40pm

Cool idea Ellyloo! You rock! I am going to try it this weekend ... let's just see how many thumbs I really do have (not always that coordinated).

Thanks lots - Di
Old 2010-07-26, 12:05pm
Alchemist

How fabulous! Thank you so much for sharing - I could never figure out how these little guys were done.

Old 2011-11-18, 7:33pm
Happy Inner Dragon

Wow! The possibilities are endless with this technique! Thanks

rusticalsfreestyle on Instagram

SRA# P107
Old 2011-11-18, 10:17pm
grama punky - class junky

cool! thanks for sharing.

Old 2011-11-19, 2:00am
I need a bench maid!

Default drink stirrers

Those are very similar to how I made my drink stirrers, just put my implosions on top of a rod.
(I should make more of those - - been a while)

Old 2011-11-19, 3:37pm
apt to wander....

Oh purdy!! I'm going to try these in the morning!!!!
Thanks for putting this out there!

Melissa