No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-11-19, 2:23pm
Got Honey?

Default Best clear for implosions

Please weigh in on the best 104 clear to use for implosion pendants. I am using Moretti Super Clear as of now and getting scunge on the fronts. What am I doing wrong or is there another clear that does not do this?
I use a Carlisle Mini CC with propane and oxycon. Is it a propane issue?
Thanks everyone!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-11-19, 2:51pm

Could be too much propane/not enough o2 in the flame or working too close to the face of the torch where the flame is more reducing. If the chemistry is o.k. make sure to clean the glass before using with some alcohol. Also the ends of the rods where they are cut collect dirt and will scuzz up when heated quickly.

Finally. for the ultimate clarity peel the glass before using
Old 2013-11-19, 3:26pm

What do you mean "peel the glass"?

Mary Ann
DAUGHTER OF THE KING!
Loving life and Lampworking

Old 2013-11-19, 4:15pm

Peeling the glass is heating the outside where there is scuzz and carefully pulling the bad glass off. It's not that hard with soft glass, but you need to be careful you don't boil the glass you just peeled or you will have to start again.

Chuck
Old 2013-11-19, 10:35pm

Peeling is where you heat just the surface of the rod and use tweezers to grab the surface glass and pull it down along the rod and off the end. This is typically done with large diam. Boro rods or Schott pucks. The idea is to remove the surface glass which is dirty and scratched.

With boro you can take another smaller diameter rod that is cold and use it to wipe the hot surface of the rod that you're cleaning

Last edited by Talonst; 2013-11-19 at 10:38pm.
Old 2013-11-20, 5:29am

oh boy, the famous "what 104 coe clear is best" threads lol.

ime/imo use Schott pucks. they come in like 3 different sizes, and are comparatively cheap. you need to heat them in the kiln, peel and pull rod from the puck but that's easy and half the fun.
it's like 106 coe, but this stuff works like butter and really doesn't scuzz very easily.

http://www.affordableinspiration.com...t-109-coe.html

i guess it's 109 coe, but i've not had one compatibility issue.
Old 2013-11-20, 6:29am

DH Zephyr. The only peeling you need to do is the cut end. Clear glass, no scum or bubbles (and I tend to work hot and a little reducing).

Old 2013-11-20, 7:18am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROC View Post
DH Zephyr. The only peeling you need to do is the cut end. Clear glass, no scum or bubbles (and I tend to work hot and a little reducing).
^^ THIS ^^
I've tried to get it to bubble and scum, it won't.

Donna Felkner -
-
-
-
Old 2013-11-20, 7:27am
Got Honey?

Thank you all so very much for your help! I am finally conquering implosions and now you can't see them LOL

Old 2013-11-20, 1:18pm

My favorite clear is DH Aether but it will color silver glass a bit greenish/yellow. So for silver glass I love Zephyr.

Sometimes I get really good batches of Super Clear, or even plain old Effetre regular clear. But other times they are a bit more scummy so I will save those batches for cores usually.

Unless the rods are a large diameter I find it difficult to peel them clean.

Handmade Murrini Chips, Glass Beads, & Lampwork Tutorials
Old 2013-11-20, 1:32pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgbeads View Post
^^ THIS ^^
I've tried to get it to bubble and scum, it won't.
LOL! Me too, and I have no problem scumming the other clears!