Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2012-05-19, 6:36pm
Just getting started!

Default A Room of My Very Own!! (Update)

Well I'm finally getting organized to post photos of my studio. We moved end of March and the new house we're in has a workshop off of the attached garage. For the first time since I started my jewellery biz in 2007, I have my own space!! Up until now it's always been in our bedroom. And since I have this fabulous space, I decided to take the plunge and begin my long-time dream of lampworking as well.

The studio has a window that we're using for the ventilation system, and make up air will come through the door into the garage. I've dedicated one wall and corner to my jewellery, and another section of two walls to lampworking. The remaining wall is dedicated to shelving for storage and a workbench that will house my photography setup, stereo etc...

The workshop was a pretty dingy mis-match room to begin with. Random pieces of sheet-rock, press board and fake wood panelling lined the walls. Since it's just a rental, I decided to leave the walls as is and use up some paint I had to brighten it up a little.

Getting Started:

After the paint & initial set-up:

Since I took the above, we've accomplished a ton more including my glass storage, ventilation, workspace etc... Will take pics of that and post soon. We've just done the smoke test and I'm hoping to hook up the torch and equipment tonight. SO EXCITED!!!

Imadesigns....Creativity Unleashed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by IksBeadedCreations; 2012-05-22 at 8:19pm.
Old 2012-05-19, 6:59pm
Formerly Thetabird

Looks great! Enjoy it. Donna

How I lost 50 lbs

Old 2012-05-19, 7:48pm
It's about having fun!

I love these studio stories! It's nice that you'll have a studio!
Thank you! Joni
Old 2012-05-22, 8:18pm
Just getting started!

Well this weekend we finalized everything. Ventilation was finished and tested. The smoke test went great. The only problem I ran into was I discovered the makeup air was being drawn from the fireplace on the other side of the house! Lol.. I couldn't figure out why the lower half of the house smelled like woodsmoke . So I've started closing the door between the house and the garage and opening a window in the garage - works very well!

Glass storage is complete and filled up. Already outgrowing it lol. Torch is setup and works wonderfully. Still don't have my kiln issues solved so for now I'm cooling down in a very thick bundle of fiber blanket and about 8 layers of tinfoil. Only one casualty so far and I think that was a compatibility issue. Will eventually get my glass kiln over here and set up in the shed outside so I can batch anneal. I'm hoping to get a small bead kiln eventually that I can run while I torch.

Now all I'm waiting for are some bright wall stickers coming to me in the mail with fun sayings and bright flowers. Also need to go to the beach to get some sand for my mandrel buckets.

My little corner of glass heaven! My plan is to add another wire cube on eventually and fill it with more pvc. My hubby is already grumbling about the 98ft I've bought so far, so I think I'll hold off for a bit and make do.

The white-ness of the corner is driving me nutty and I can't wait for my bright colourful decals to get here. The torch area turned out great. I put down 1/2" sheet rock, painted it flat black and then also put a 13x13" ceramic tile infront of the torch. So far it works well. Really need to get a Creation Station or build some sort of arm support.

My ventilation system.

I bought a large galvanized bucket from a local store, cut a hole in top and inserted an 8" ducting elbow. I was able to buy a used 750cfm fan from a local hydroponics shop. We hung the system from the ceiling using metal strapping. In the window we have 5/8" plywood with expanding foam around the sides, the ducting and the propane hose. Around everything we put foil ducting tape to make it airtight. My hubby built a box on the otherside of the board to house the exit of the ducting. It has a wood door on a hinge. Works great although I discovered during the windstorm last night that it needs some sort of latch on the bottom since it kept banging open and shut.

So now I need to get busy and tidy up the rest of my studio. The jewellery and photography areas were used as workbenches while setting up so it's a bit of a mess. I'm also working on labelling all of my glass. I'm finding it fun and challenging to figure out how colours look when melted and what plays nice with each other. I glassy things - next adventure will be fusing!!

Last edited by IksBeadedCreations; 2012-05-22 at 8:23pm.
Old 2012-05-23, 11:38am
Curmudgeon Engineering

Very well done.
Looks like a great place to create.
Have fun.
pjh
Old 2012-05-23, 1:25pm
shirts

Lovely!! Wish the "room of my own" was coming together so fast!!
Old 2012-05-23, 3:51pm
Just getting started!

Thank you so much!! I love it Can't wait until the kids go to bed each night so I can run downstairs and play

Old 2012-05-25, 6:41pm

looks wonderful. enjoy YOUR space.

Jen
Old 2012-05-26, 4:24pm
Happy Inner Dragon

Awesome! How exciting eh?

rusticalsfreestyle on Instagram

SRA# P107
Old 2012-05-26, 4:34pm
birdergirl ~o~

I love seeing other peeps studio spaces!

~raised by wolves~sleeps with foxes~cooks for crows~feeds the bears~scrabbles with squids~antisymmetrical~politically agnostic.

Torchering glass since spring '06~ gold cricket & oxycon!~
Old 2012-06-04, 9:17am
tiptrinket

It looks very nice! Have a great time using it!

Old 2012-06-04, 9:56am
Loving learning

Wonderful space, and so well organized too. Enjoy yourself playing with the glass & creating!
Old 2012-06-04, 5:31pm
The Andrea Half

NICE!! It os coming along! You are so lucky HAve ots of fun there.