Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2005-09-29, 2:03pm
the 2 Michelle's

Default bobcat help

ok, I have a bobcat...I get carbon buildup, some days really quick, others not so much, but always have build-up. I keep nice tight candles....I've looked up "neutral candle" pictures and mine pretty much match.....so wtf????

Oh and when I do raku I am more gas rich, but it's intentional.

So, anybody want to help? Cause I love my little kitty and want her to purr, not cough.
Michele
This is from the bathroom and d/t a pm(thanks), I'll add a little more info. Had the cat since March. Use it a min. of 8-10hrs on a bad week and some weeks over 40hrs. I trade my propane tank, don't refill. I clean the ports every time before I light it, and sometimes have to stop, to re-clean.

Thanks,
Michele

You say bitch like it's a bad thing.....

bead on!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2005-09-29, 5:45pm
Fire Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfire
ok, I have a bobcat...I get carbon buildup, some days really quick, others not so much, but always have build-up. I keep nice tight candles....I've looked up "neutral candle" pictures and mine pretty much match.....so wtf????

Oh and when I do raku I am more gas rich, but it's intentional.

So, anybody want to help? Cause I love my little kitty and want her to purr, not cough.
Michele
This is from the bathroom and d/t a pm(thanks), I'll add a little more info. Had the cat since March. Use it a min. of 8-10hrs on a bad week and some weeks over 40hrs. I trade my propane tank, don't refill. I clean the ports every time before I light it, and sometimes have to stop, to re-clean.

Thanks,
Michele
Hi Michele! Have you called GTT? I would talk to the experts and they will give you all the advice you need.

It might be trading the propane tank...I heard that many people have dirtier propane when they trade tanks...personally I refill---since we moved the propane is dirtier than where I lived before. And we have tried a few places. So, you just never know.

Give GTT a call.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by paintingwithglass; 2005-09-29 at 9:26pm.
Old 2005-09-29, 5:46pm
Kid

One thing to try, and I just learned this myself- Adjust your torch for normal use, then turn down the propane from there. I have, and think others might also, always taken the flame from reducing to neutral by turning up the oxy. This simple step has yielded great results.

I think your problem may be to much propane. Try less gas and see if it changes the level of buildup (lower the regulator even). I clean our torches about once every three months, and its basically going through the motions.

Hopefully the other folks that had ideas will post also. Good tools deserve good treatment.

Chris
Old 2005-09-29, 8:40pm
PyronamixK

Michele,

How long are you running your candles? What color are they on the ends? How big are the tips on the ends? What pressures are you running (propane and oxygen)?

Kimberly
Old 2005-10-03, 4:34pm
the 2 Michelle's

Oh Jeez, sorry Kimberly. I was getting alot of answers in the bathroom that day and didn't check back here.

I'm running 6-8mm cones, blue with slight white at tip. Very tight. Have a onyx, so just open that baby up and let her pour....max is 6lpm, but after I adjust at the torch it usually drops to about the half-way mark. It's not in lpm though, so just have to estimate. The propane is at 5.

Heidi told me to drop my propane in another thread (about pinks), but if I get below 5 I get fluctuations from it. I have a cheap regulator. So....again, the adjustment is usually at the torch end....maybe this is my problem and I should just get the $$regulator.......

But I do think part(big part) is the gas. I started thinking back and I did get one tank that I seemed to have less build-up with....so soon as this tank is done, I'll get a refill at ACE.

Thanks.

You say bitch like it's a bad thing.....

bead on!!

Old 2005-10-04, 9:46am
PyronamixK

Yeah, regulators can cause problems. I hope, though, that it is just a matter of dirty gas. If you ever have to get a new regulator, Willy said that the best one to get would be a single gauge Goss.

Well, good luck! If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to call GTT (610-838-2446) or pm me.