LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Old 2008-02-22, 9:00pm
Professional glob maker!

Talking Glow in the Dark Powder...

Has anyone used the glow in the dark powders on their beads or pendants? I don't think I know how to correctly use it because my bead looks like white caca!! The first bead I tried to do didn't look so bad but it didn't glow and my second bead would have looked cool if you couldn't see all the powder spots. It sure looks good with the lights off ( and so do most of my other beads....lol) Anyways, I was just wondering if I could get some advise on how to use it properly! Thank you for your time and comments!!
Old 2008-02-22, 9:07pm
Glass-aholic

I think you are using it correctly.... If you make a bead and then put a layer or 3 of glow and then thinly encase you can decorate the outside to hide some of the specks and use some transparent decorations.

I made glow beads a long time ago, but what your saying sounds about right!
try a few small beads, clear, roll it in glow stuff a bizzilion times, and melt it in until you are happy with the surface. Do a few with different amounts and then test the glowyness!

If you are making transparent pendants think of putting it only on the back side.... good lucK!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2008-02-23, 7:26am
Calendar Girl

Default Glow in the Dark Stringer Video on You Tube

I found this on You Tube. It's from the Netherlands so it's not in English but you can certainly follow the technique.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrGXH31jrnI

It appears that you really have to work a lot of it in to have an effect.

Last edited by Marjo; 2008-03-01 at 5:40pm. Reason: added Signature
Old 2008-02-23, 7:37am
Anyone need some spacers?

Thanks for that link.

Old 2008-02-23, 7:56am
Professional glob maker!

Thank you so much for the link. I am going to check out the other videos that they had for the powder too!!
Old 2008-03-01, 4:09pm
I practice alchemy!

I tried the glow-in-the-dark powder and I posted questions in the tips thread. Someone else did also. We got responses from some people who really knew what they were doing--check them out. If you put the powder over an opaque core, it cuts down on the light that your bead is exposed to and it doesn't glow as brightly. Make sure you anneal anything made with the glow powder as it seems to make the beads prone to craze-cracking. I made clear beads and used glow powder and the powder showed a lot. Once I turned the beads into earrings complete with caps they actually looked quite nice and would have been a lot of fun at night.
Old 2008-03-05, 10:23am
It's all about the color.

I have a page with info about these powders on them that you might want to check out. I've just updated it to include the video (thanks for posting that!).
http://www.listen-up.org/kitty/beads/glow/glow.htm

(If the link doesn't work, edit the s out of your browser. It should be "http" not "https" Sometimes LE put in an S just for the heck of it.)

Old 2008-03-05, 11:55am
Glass-aholic

Kay you totally rock!

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2008-03-05, 1:39pm
Melting

I tried it once with clear. I liked the result, but I used a LOT of powder. I probably did 6-7 rolls in it. It sure glows well! I plan to use it again, probably for Halloween beads.

~
~
~

SRA Member #E20
Old 2008-03-06, 6:56am
Valparaíso - Chile

Thank so much.

Ana María

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marjo View Post
I found this on You Tube. It's from the Netherlands so it's not in English but you can certainly follow the technique.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrGXH31jrnI

It appears that you really have to work a lot of it in to have an effect.
Old 2008-03-12, 7:45am
Gimme that silver glass!

I've made a fat stringer out of my glow in the dark powder. I use it for dot applications on top of the bead. Don't heat it to much, or it will go scummy. I didn't use much powder, just 3 or 4 rolls with my clear and pulled a stringer after that.

Glows very well!

MY NEW E-TUTORIAL:

Old 2008-03-12, 7:55am
Calendar Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troll Lover View Post
I've made a fat stringer out of my glow in the dark powder. I use it for dot applications on top of the bead. Don't heat it to much, or it will go scummy. I didn't use much powder, just 3 or 4 rolls with my clear and pulled a stringer after that.

Glows very well!
What color do you put the dots over?

Old 2008-03-12, 9:32am

Does it matter what type of glow in the dark powder is used? I use some phosphorescent green powder for some other projects and I have access to quite a bit of it. The stuff I have is the wrong particle size for what we were using it for so it's basically just going to sit around until I use it up.
Old 2008-03-13, 8:38am
Gimme that silver glass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marjo View Post
What color do you put the dots over?

Different, like transparant blue, green, red... Could just as well work over opaque colors, but didn't try that yet!

MY NEW E-TUTORIAL:

Old 2008-03-23, 11:54am
Noob

Thank you very much for the advice. I had some dark blue glow powder that was sitting on my shelf because I hadn't been able to get it to work. After I switched to transparent glass and rolled it 5-7 times it worked like a charm. I found that tapping the mandrel with the tips of my long tweezers knocked off the excess powder really well.

: The etsy store for all your...um, moonblushy needs. I guess. Maybe you'd best just check it out to be sure.
Old 2008-03-23, 12:22pm
Ruebennesqueness Queenie

ahh, wish I had seen this before making the moon. It glows good, but looks pretty ugly in the light. It will probably crack, so it goes into my own collection. That stringer looks like the answer!

Giving
a try!