Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2005-11-13, 5:35pm

Question Barracuda (questions) and NG

I made enough this weekend at my show to buy the barracuda if I want. So guys who have it tell me about it. What do you do on it? What does it do well and what doesn't it do well. I thought about getting the Betta but I already have a bobcat so I think I might like having a cuda more. Also the most important question; will it run on NG?
Old 2005-11-13, 9:27pm

Have you checked out Heathway's Dragon Bullet 7/14? Similiar to a Cuda, but runs cooler and quieter, bar stock metal instead of cast metal and a foot control can be attached in the future. Lewis Wilson gave a great review on it.. Might be on his website but if you are even interested, I can send you a copy.... Have had mine for several months now and I love it!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2005-11-14, 5:36am

Bullet and Cuda.
My first choice would be the Cuda. It has better focus and is a little easier on the colors.
The center fire on the Bullet is pretty nice. (wide and hot). Both are high end torches. The only down side on the Bullet is the valves (knobs) get hot after it is run for more than two hours. The bullet seams to be designed to be run more like a Carlisle with faster flowing flames.
Sound..... I don't agree. They run about the same sound. Both are really quiet if they are run right.
Back to the Cuda. We (Rocio and I) help set up a flameworking studio at the Harley school in upstate NY. We put in Cudas to run on natural gas, and they have done well for over two years on that setup. Again, both are great torches, but I would go with the Cuda. The Betta is a really nice little torch, but it may not be enough of a jump for you.
Good luck,
Ron Jr.
Old 2005-11-16, 4:56am

Default With two concentrators...

I run my Barracuda with two concentrators linked together, burning propane. It's a great torch, though I have no experience with the other one you're considering. I generally use the inner flame only for Effetre, and crank up the outer ring for Bullseye or when doing hollows or bigger beads. I feel like it's probably the only torch I'm going to need, into the future. I may upgrade my oxy system sometime, when I make the leap into boro. I haven't been sorry I made the investment, though it took me a while to get used to it, after my Minor burner. It's like going from a Volkswagon to a 'Vette.
Old 2005-11-16, 10:05am

I agree with Ron....the Cudda is Really quiet when the flame is dialed in correctly. I run it on propane and oxygen, but when I saw one at Bethlehem's home office running on natural gas....the flame was so pretty I almost wept....I'm not kidding. Bethlehem technology was originally devised to be used with NG, so it's just a beautiful, efficient workhorse. I always describe the Cudda as being kind of like a tugboat....it's not too big, kind of friendly, and has a whole lot of power for it's size. Toot toot!
Old 2005-11-16, 10:54am

One of my local lampworking friends runs his cuda on natural gas.

Old 2005-11-16, 11:43am

I ordered a Cuda yesterday along with a sample pack of Boro. Boro glass work, here I come!!!!!
WAHOO!!!!!