Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2005-11-13, 8:22am

Default Torch Characteristics - Help with Terms

I am researching whether I want to invest in a new torch. I have a minor and frequently want to crank the heat up, but then I am also intregued by the idea of a more precision flame ... help me figure out the lingo so I can decide whether a change in torch is what I want or a change in technique is what I need!!

I have read several posts on "recommended" torches ... and I do realize that this is an individual choice. However I realized that as people are talking about a center flame vs a piggy back style ... I have no idea what the advantages are of each style ... so here are some terms I would like clarified so that I can apply them to my own "style" of work:

pinpoint flame vs bushy flame:
I have heard the minor referred to as a bushy flame and the lynx as being able to have a pinpoint flame. Does the pinpoint let you spot heat without overheating the rest of the bead better? But then how do you "bathe the bead" to get "insurance heat"?
Each manufacturer says they can go from pin-point to bushy as though no one else can. Is there really a torch that lets you do both?

Slow vs Fast
Not really a question of what those mean, just more a question of is there a torch that lets me adjust the heat down to a "slower" working temp (for soft glass details) at the same time I can work at a "faster" temp for larger beads/melting the initial gather/maybe play with a little boro?

Center fire vs piggyback
Let's say I go all out and wait until I can afford a bigger torch ... what exactly does a center fire do for you ... does it let you have a pinpoint of heat to do precise heat manipulation and have a warm (not screaming hot) flame bathe for the rest of the bead? (Sounds kind of ideal so I am suspicious) I am not sure I can imagine what a piggyback flame's advantages would be other than you could have one oxidating and one reducing at the same time and play more that way with reactions ... any explaination would be helpful.

Efficient/cool barrel/Patented flame designs!
Every one is claiming efficiency and a industry groundbreaking flame design ... HELP! I have no idea how to wade through the marketing hype for what these really mean ... does it make a difference as to 6 or 7 ports? Does it matter whether it is "triple" mixed? Does it matter that they are in the shape of a pentagram? The only thing I can think of is that these features are what allows the above descriptions or characteristics. However, educate me if I am wrong ...

Any recommendations?
I am currently working soft glass but can inmagine playing with Boro implosion pendants and maybe small marbles just to say I can.

I currently have a minor and I keep cranking up the pressure/volume of my gas/oxy to "get more heat" although I wonder what would happen if I really could get a smaller/fine flame?

I like largish beads with organic style decorations (drip and swirl cool colors together!!) but I get impatient getting all the glass on! I also wonder if I like that kind of bead because I cant get the details on other kinds of beads to work out

I often work in short bursts rather than long sessions ... don't know if that makes a difference but there it is ...

It is also just fine to say I need to learn my minor a little better ... and that it will do all that I ask if I only work it better...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Nothing in the world is the way it ought to be. It's harsh and cruel. That's why there's us. -- Champions --
It doesn't matter where we come from, what we've done or suffered, or even if we make a difference.
We live as though the world were as it should be, to show it what it can be." -- Words of Truth from Angel
Old 2005-11-16, 3:58pm

really ... no opinions, particularly in relation to Brent's announcement about the Betta torch?

Help!!! I want to spend the right 300-500!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Nothing in the world is the way it ought to be. It's harsh and cruel. That's why there's us. -- Champions --
It doesn't matter where we come from, what we've done or suffered, or even if we make a difference.
We live as though the world were as it should be, to show it what it can be." -- Words of Truth from Angel
Old 2005-11-17, 7:27am

Thanks kimberly ... (by the way your class on organics I took with you at Frantz it my daily inspiration!!!) (Don't know if you would remember me, we stayed at the motel together and it was my first time on a minor ... you also helped me pick out a studio worth of glass!!! It was about two years ago ...)

You mentioned that
"The Lynx can get be adjusted to give you a very tiny, focused pinpoint flame, while the Minor cannot really do this as well. But, the Minor has a bushy flame that you cannot really get with the Lynx, There are other torches that have the capability of a nice, pinpoint flame as well as a bushier flame"

Which are the "other" torches you are refering to?
and what would your opinion be of the Bethlehem Piranha? (It is one of the torches I am thinking about ... The Baracudda seems a little overkill for me, but maybe I really do need to save up for that level of a torch ...)