Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2005-11-17, 9:19pm

Default Hooking Up A Oxycon?????

Hi Everyone,

I am ready to hook up my oxygen concentrator and I went to buy my T grade hoses and flash back arrestor and the flashback arrestors come in packages of two. One for the propane and one for the oxygen. I need to know if we still use these flashback arrestors on the oxycon??? Also do we need a regulator for a concentrator??? I was told there are torch mount and regulator mount flashback arrestors..... which do I need? CAN SOMEONE HELP ME PLEASE???????

Melanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2005-11-18, 5:18am

I do not suggest using flashback arrestors with an oxy con. A lot of times they will restrict oxy flow (which is OK for tanked o2 because you have 1000 lbs of pressure behind it).

If you do use them on your propane, I suggest putting them on the regulator end of the hose.
Old 2005-11-18, 9:11am
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by preciousbeads
Hi Everyone,

I am ready to hook up my oxygen concentrator and I went to buy my T grade hoses and flash back arrestor and the flashback arrestors come in packages of two. One for the propane and one for the oxygen. I need to know if we still use these flashback arrestors on the oxycon??? Also do we need a regulator for a concentrator??? I was told there are torch mount and regulator mount flashback arrestors..... which do I need? CAN SOMEONE HELP ME PLEASE???????

Melanie
You do not need either flashback arrestor or a regulator with a oxycon... Oxycons are self regulated internally and are usually set somewhere near 8 psi.

As for flashback arrestor types, the torch mount type will protect hose and regulator, the regulator mount type will only protect regulator.

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2005-11-18 at 9:38am.
Old 2005-11-18, 12:21pm

Thanks guys!

So no Flashback Arrestor or regulator needed for Oxycon (thank god).

Do you guys recomend a flashback arrestor for the propane???? Torch mount??? Or regulator mount?

I have my "t grade hose" ordered and it should be in on Monday so I will be buying these then and will be hooking everything up.

Is there anything I need to know about hooking up to a concintrator? I have never hooked up a surface mix torch. I have a mini CC.

THANKS! Melanie

Old 2005-11-18, 1:39pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Actually if you are not using a premix burner the need for a flashbacks arrestor is very small. Surface mix torches are not prone to flash backs and its very unlikely the flame front would move through the small gas orifices in burner face.

BUT if you really want to use flashback arrestor, torch mount protects your HOSE and regulator, which I think you would want to do as its possible for hose to rupture and be spewing propane into room and hose end becomes fire breathing dragon.

You may want to check this article for "general" procedures for hooking up torch... Keep in mind when you read about hooking oxygen hose to regulator, you will just be hooking it up to the oxycon.

http://www.artglassanswers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2005-11-18 at 1:44pm.
Old 2005-11-18, 5:02pm

Thanks for all your help Dale!

Melanie