Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2005-11-26, 5:11pm

Default Oxycon Question

I have just hooked up my first "two fuel" torch (mini CC) and I have it hooked up to an oxyconentrator. Well I have noticed that when the oxycon makes a "swish" type of noise the candle part of the flame extends larger. So if the little candles were origionally 1/4" up from the tip fo the torch then as that noise happened they extend up higher than the 1/4", not a whole lot more but enough to notice the surge.... is that normal???

Melanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2005-11-26, 7:31pm

Mine doesn't do that, the flame is pretty constant. Do you have the oxy knob on the torch on full? That's the only thing I can think of. Unless there is a kink in the line someplace but I don't know if it would affect it like that or not.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2005-11-26, 7:48pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by preciousbeads
I have just hooked up my first "two fuel" torch (mini CC) and I have it hooked up to an oxyconentrator. Well I have noticed that when the oxycon makes a "swish" type of noise the candle part of the flame extends larger. So if the little candles were origionally 1/4" up from the tip fo the torch then as that noise happened they extend up higher than the 1/4", not a whole lot more but enough to notice the surge.... is that normal???

Melanie
Lets clear something up right now.....It is NOT a "two fuel" torch...Yes it uses two tanks or a tank and a oxy con...

It's fuel is propane, For a "oxidizer" it uses oxygen either from a tank or a oxy con. The proper term is a "fuel/oxygen" torch....

As a hot head is known as a "fuel/air" torch because it draws air in on its own ...

IT seems to me that when the oxy con makes the swoosh sound it may be cycling between filter beds (internal operation) the problem may be one of two things or may both. One filter bed may not be as efficient as the other and not producing the same high quality percentile of oxygen as the other. OR you have a slight pressure drop in one filter bed due to a clogged tube someplace or you have a internal leak, causing less pressure to be produced when oxy con is on side (bed) that has lesser flame...

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2005-11-27 at 4:52pm.
Old 2005-11-26, 9:13pm

Dale,

You know I knew that I just said it wrong..... Newbie mistake, sorry!

As for the oxycon situation..... None of that made any sense to me. Is there something I can do to help the issue?

Thanks for responding and trying to help. I appreciate your time.
Melanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale M.
Lets clear something up right now.....It is NOT a "two fuel"l torch...Yes it used two tanks or a tank and a oxy con...

It's fuel is propane, For a "oxidizer" it uses oxygen either from a tank or a oxy con. The proper term is a "fuel/oxygen" torch....

As a hot head is known as a "fuel/air" torch because it draws air in on its own ...

IT seems to me that when the oxy con makes the swoosh sound it may be cycling between filter beds (internal operation) the problem may be one of two things or may both. One filter bed may not be as efficient as the other and not producing the same high quality percentile of oxygen as the other. OR you have a slight pressure drop in one filter bed due to a clogged tube someplace or you have a internal leak, causing less pressure to be produced when oxy con is on side (bed) that has lesser flame...

Dale

Old 2005-11-26, 9:27pm

Try turning up your propane a bit. If you are using a newly filled propane tank let it burn off for a while...that happens sometimes either with newly filled or almost empty tank.

Old 2005-11-26, 9:31pm

Hi Paulette,

The tank is really new. So is the Oxycon but it was a used oxycon. I bought it from someone here on LE. Just curious...... turn the propane up while the oxycon is on????? For how long? I am only asking so I do not screw anything up. As I said this is my first time.

Thanks, Melanie

Old 2005-11-27, 9:34am
Gentleman of Leisure

What Paulette is saying is to increase the pressure setting at propane regulator... If you have it set at 3 psi then try setting it to something higher like 5 psi...

Sometimes it just a matter to finding the right "blalnce" of oxygen and propane pressure your torch likes...

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2005-11-27, 4:29pm

ahhhh I understand! Thanks Dale!!! Your a GEM! Melanie