Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2006-01-07, 9:06pm
Senior Moment

Default Natural gas anyone?

Does anyone here use natural gas for their torch? Which torches work with natural gas and how does that compare to oxy/propane? Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Sharon
sabood@insight.rr.com
Old 2006-01-07, 9:32pm

Most any torch will work with NG, the catch is having pressure appropriate to the torch.

G-Tec makes some fine boosters, significant initial cash outlay but they pay for themselves nicely... no hauling around tanks, no running out at bad times (like there's a good time to run out, lol).

We've got one hooked up to our Barracuda and it does a dandy job.

I think Brent (Mr Smiley) has some info on a torch that will run on typical house pressure.

So come up to the lab and see what's on the slab...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-01-07, 9:51pm
Ad astra per aspera

I use a Midrange Plus on house NG pressure. It's wonderful AND hot enough to do boro as well as all the soft glass.

Old 2006-01-08, 3:38am

I use a minor with NG at residential pressue. I think most of the nortel torches work with NG. The GTT torches(except maybe the Bobcat,I'm not sure) require higher than typical residential pressure, so would need a booster or new meter/line etc.
I think natural gas is wonderful for the convenience and safety. It was spendy to have the line run to my workbench, but worth every penny!
Old 2006-01-08, 8:44am
Certified Glassaholic!

I'm on a minor w/NG and did not require any boosting for it to work. Never even considered tanks Not one moment of regret.

-Yee

Old 2006-01-08, 10:39am

I'm using the CC Mini with residential NG pressure and an Oxycon rather than tanked O2. I love it and the whole set up has been working great for me. It cost us around $250 to have the NG line run to my workshop, but as mentioned above, it's been worth every penny.
Old 2006-01-08, 11:48am
Senior Moment

I was wondering if anyone uses NG with Oxycon. I'm glad to hear it works well because I need to get an Oxycon too. Where did you get it? The O2 bottles are killing my husband's back carrying them into my studio. I have been using propane so far. Is it ok to use the same lines when I switch over? I am going to call the plumber tomorrow to get an estimate.
Thanks for all the info everyone.
Sharon
Old 2006-01-08, 1:40pm
Ad astra per aspera

I use an Onyx+ oxy generator from Paulette at Suncoast. From what I understand you can use 2 oxycons linked together just as well (and cheaper, too). It's wonderful having unlimited fuel basically at the touch of a button.

Old 2006-01-08, 3:00pm
Always with a smile!

I use NG in a residence, with a natural gas booster and an oxycon. Love it. Using a Minor Burner.
Old 2006-01-08, 3:09pm

I have a bobcat and we just had NG installed last week. I also have an oxycon that I got through Mystic Medical in Michigan.
Old 2006-01-09, 9:14am
Button Queen

I'm running a Minor with NG (no booster, regular house pressure) and an oxycon. I started with a propane tank and tanked O2. The flame is a bit smaller, and I can't get a fine pinpoint flame like I used to with the tanked O2. I had a small amount of O2 left in the tank so I hooked that up to run it out before getting rid of the tank - my pinpoint flame was back. So I know it's the oxycon and not the NG. But it's not enough to make me want to go back to the tank.

Barbara
Old 2006-01-09, 10:09am
Sorry for party rockin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclogan
I'm running a Minor with NG (no booster, regular house pressure) and an oxycon.
Me too!! I upgraded to this setup from a hothead, so I really don't know the difference between what I have and using tanks.

It works great for me and it's very convenient!

Old 2006-01-09, 10:13am
Terry

I use a bobcat and the cc mini and both work great with Natural Gas.

Old 2006-01-09, 12:53pm
Floral Obsessed

I have a Piranha on 1/4psi NG and 1 5lmp/10psi oxycon. It works great! Minors works on natural gas & 1 oxycon. Mini-CCs should have 2 oxycons but work fine on NG. I believe Bobcats work better with 2 oxycons as well, but should work OK on house NG. Apparently the Little Dragon works well also. Kristian from Generations Glass said that he'd choose the Piranha for a 1 oxycon, low-pressure NG set-up, so that's what I did. Good luck! -Heather
Old 2006-01-09, 9:10pm
Senior Moment

Thanks everyone. I had a plumber out here today and the estimate he gave me made me gasp! I may have to sell a lot of jewelry before I can afford this new project. I told my husband I just want a new gas line to the studio not a new house with it! I have to call a couple more for estimates tomorrow.
Sharon