Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2006-03-05, 5:36pm
oxygen deprived

Default Barracuda - burning rubber/plastic smell after hrs torching

I think I saw a thread about this a long time ago, but my searches didn't bring anything up.

After I've been torching for a few hours or have been using the outer ring for a little while, it smells HORRIBLE. The greenish ring at the base is starting to turn brown and I think that's what's creating the smell. Isn't this a bad thing? What should I do to stop it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(no beads for sale yet - but some pics of old work)
Old 2006-03-05, 9:48pm
PyronamixK

Sell it...

No. Seriously, though... your flame may be going out the wrong end. It sounds like you might be having some kind of leak. Has it ever popped loudly and shut off?

Between the manifold and the main body, there is that green block sandwiched between some grey-black gaskets. That is supposed to be a heat barrier. It should never heat up like you're describing. Gas is probably burning where it should not be burning.

Get that torch sent back in right away. It is a serious problem - potentially very dangerous.

Last edited by kbinkster; 2006-03-05 at 9:55pm.
Old 2006-03-05, 10:12pm
I'm a lilac!

That definitely isn't right... I'm with Kimberly, send it in. I use my Barracuda between five and seven days a week, sometimes eight or more hours in a day, and often run the outer flame all day, and it has never smelled like that or had any discoloration. Send it in right away!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-03-06, 4:23am
oxygen deprived

It's never blown out or anything, but it's already been sent in once because one of the valves wouldn't close. Guess we're going for round 2!

Thanks for your replies - and potentially preventing me from exploding myself.

Last edited by alissa; 2006-03-06 at 4:28am.
Old 2006-03-06, 8:05am
boro color bender

Alissa, call Jerry... he'll take care of whatever the problem may be. 610-838-7034

Jerry is the guy to talk to.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2006-03-06, 2:39pm
PyronamixK

Alissa,

When your torch was in for the valve problem, did they replace it with a new style stainless steel valve, or one of the older brass ones?

I know that last April, Bethlehem had a recall of sorts on their Piranhas because the brass valves were leaking. A leaking valve could be causing the problem you are having right now.

Here is a link to the thread on WC where the problems with the Piranha valves and the no-questions-asked recall is discussed:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show...arracuda+smell

If there were problems with the Piranhas, it is possible that there were similar problems with the Barracuda. You might want to ask if your torch was recalled for valve problems, as well.
Old 2006-03-06, 3:29pm
oxygen deprived

It's a brand new torch so it probably was made after that whole debacle. I'm really not sure, but I'll ask Jerry when I give him a call tomorrow. Thanks for the info!

Unfortunately my Bobcat is still at GTT getting cleaned so if I send it in, I'll be torchless. : ( Bummer.

Old 2006-03-06, 4:12pm
boro color bender

The Piranha recall was moons ago and didn't affect the Cuda's at all. Beth has great customer service and will deal with this and any other problem that may come up in the future for any of their customers. They have about a day turn around on fixing these issues when they pop up. Every torch company has problems and needs to service some of their torches. I know for a fact GTT does too. Nobody is perfect. It's how they handle a problem when it comes up that really counts.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Last edited by Mr. Smiley; 2006-03-06 at 9:08pm.
Old 2006-03-06, 4:19pm

ive owned 5 beths.... 2 starfires, 3 pm2d's ...beth has ALWAYS been more than fair with me .... any had a SUPER FAST turn around time every time I have sent a toch in for cleaning or repair.... i've been using Beth's for 8 years... <J>

Old 2006-03-06, 4:27pm
boro color bender

That's an awesome offer Miss Affleck. You rock!

Old 2006-03-06, 9:15pm
oxygen deprived

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberly
Alissa,
Where are you located? If your Beth has to go in, if you are close, I have a Minor you could use until you got one of your torches back. It's not a Barracuda, but it will do in a pinch!
That *is* an awesome offer! Unfortunately, I'm in Wisconsin. I sure appreciate it, though!

Also, I think GTT's turn-around time is usually 2 weeks for cleaning, and they've had my Bobcat for a week already. So even if you popped the minor in the mail, it wouldn't get here much sooner. I'm also leaving to go home for spring break on the 15th, so I'll be away from the studio for a week and a half (oh, the torture!).

But thanks for the generous offer... That's really cool of you. I appreciate the thought!

Old 2006-03-06, 9:18pm
boro color bender

Alissa, where's home? Maybe somebody lives close and you could get a torch fix...

Old 2006-03-06, 10:34pm
oxygen deprived

Home's coastal South Carolina. I know there are a couple lampworkers within 30 miles... good idea, Mister Smiley. : )

My mom's having surgery to get half her liver and part of her pancreas removed, so I won't have tons of time, but I can certainly sneak away at some point. Especially if she has dibs on the goodies I make. lol.