TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Old 2006-02-25, 9:10am

Default Propane with a HotHead

Okay. I know I have read that some people are using propane with their HotHead torches. I am ready to install a 30lb bulk tank. My question is, since I am planning to upgrade to an oxy/propane torch in the near future, wouldn't I be just as well to just use propane with my HotHead for now. If I have my tank filled with Mapp, I must replace the tank to return to propane.
Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations about this installation. I'm ready to do this today if possible.

Thanks

Bob

Glass can be a Solid, Glass can be a Liquid, But Glass should always be a GAS!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-02-25, 9:11am

I use a BBQ tank of propane and have no problems...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~:
:~
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2006-02-25, 12:26pm
Fancy Mammal

I've talked to one or two other on the board with the same question and they said they had no problems with propane.
Old 2006-02-25, 9:53pm

Well, I got the adaptor hose this afternoon and hooked up this evening. It's working great. I also ordered an AIM kiln today and should have it in a couple of weeks. Finally can anneal my beads myself. It's large enough that Judie can do some fusing in it also. Thanks for your input ladies.

Bob

Old 2006-02-25, 10:27pm
Fancy Mammal

Glad to hear it's working for you! Have fun torching!
Old 2006-03-01, 1:45pm
Formerly Kellyhorton

hows the propane working, do you feel it works as well as the mapp? I have been using a bbq tank of propane, but thought i would like mapp better cuz I am so impatient!
Old 2006-03-01, 5:49pm

Kelly, I am getting a better flame on the bulk propane than on the 1lb cans of MAPP. I'm sure this is due to the pressure. I'm having a surging problem when using one of my 30lb tanks from our travel trailer. I think it is due to a combination of things. The tank is very old and the gas has been in it for over 2 years since I had it modified for the OPD requirement and had it filled. I can run from a 20lb tank from the BBQ and it is fine. I will stay with the propane and have it available when I am ready to upgrade again.

Bob

Old 2006-03-07, 2:59pm
1st Glass Beads

Because of the BOONINESS of the town I live in I am having trouble finding larger sizes of MAPP gas. I have a 250 gal. propane tank outside and the propane line into my room. It seems from all your input that propane can be used with a HH torch. My question is: does the propane burn clean (I live in Texas)? Being a newbie, I want to conquer the HH so I can justify (to my DH!) that I NEED a better torch. THEN I will have a different set of questions for ya'll. Sarah
Old 2006-03-07, 3:10pm
one day at a time

You are SO lucky to get good results with propane, ours in my area is so darn "dirty". It messes up most of the colors except black, lol.

I have a Bobcat but I still use my HH torch for certain things, and I'm not able to get my 30lb propylene tank refilled (same as MAPP fuel). This is because of an explosion a while back and all the tank were recalled for repairs or replacement. Bad valves, but luckily the person who had this accident wasn't hurt.

Anyway, I'm stuck with waiting for the tanks to be available again, and of course, no way am I going to use the propane with my HH. Good thing is that the oxy/propane torch I have burns away the dirty stuff. Thank God...or I would really be in trouble!
Old 2006-03-07, 8:16pm

One of the reasons I am staying with propane is that it is cleaner than MAPP. I talked to several suppliers in the area and was informed that the reason MAPP burns hotter is due to the added impurities and would contaminate a propane tank and render it usless for returning to propane in the future. This maks sense if you think about acetlyne being so hot and it is very dirty.

Old 2006-03-07, 8:22pm

Just my .02 worth. I love my propane and HH! I bought my own tank and have it refilled and the only time I have problems with scum, etc is on clear glass, which is probably me getting it too hot, not the fuel...LOL.
Old 2006-03-07, 9:55pm
formerly JewelsByJenny

Just wondering if there is a difference with propane between a bulk tank and a 1lb canister. I wanted to give propane a try and bought a 1lb tank but my colors were horrible. I am afraid to buy the bulk propane setup and get the same results. Jenny
Old 2006-03-07, 11:01pm
PyronamixK

When you said that your colors were "horrible," in what way did you mean? Were they sooty? Were they pitted? Did they have scum (micro bubbles)? Were they grey and dingy or shiny metallic(reduced)?
Old 2006-03-07, 11:13pm
formerly JewelsByJenny

Sooty mostly, maybe I should try it again, that was back when I was still pretty new to lampworking. I have gotten better, maybe I was burning the glass. Thanks for asking, it got me thinking. Jenny
Old 2006-03-08, 2:49pm

Before I switched to the bulk propane, I took an old 1lb canister from my plumbers torch and connected to the HH. Even with that tank only having a couple of ounces in it the results were far better than I expected. The bulk tank has a little higher pressure and also maintains a very consistant pressure. I'm glad I switched to bulk propane.
Bob

Old 2006-03-08, 2:51pm

By the way Terri. I now have 3 30lb and 3 20lb bulk tanks I can use. I don't think I'll have to buy any propane for quite some time, unless I use it all on the grill.
Bob

Old 2006-03-08, 8:12pm

Right now my 1 20lb tank is enough for me.

(Oh, and was that an invite for steaks, Bob? DH and I will be right over - we can bring the salad! What's that link again...aahh...MapQuest. lol)
Old 2006-03-08, 8:27pm
Glass Addict!

oooooW!
A BBQ!
We can all bring our HH's and Torch, what with all the tanks you have!
LOL!
Diana

Old 2006-03-08, 11:25pm

OHoh! I think Bob has started a Gathering and does not even know it!
Old 2006-03-11, 9:18pm

OK! OK! I get the drift. Just remember, I've got the grill, y'all bring the steaks. We're about 50mi NW of Fort Worth, TX.

Bob

Old 2006-03-14, 1:50pm

my small canisters are getting used to quickly! what set up do you need when switching from 1lb canister to bulk propane,is there a special sort of regulator needed?
Old 2006-03-15, 8:51pm
Gentleman of Leisure

A complete up to date document on switching to bulk fuel can be found here...

http://www.artglassanswers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7

Short answer is "no" you do not need a regulator. Hothead torch require full tank pressure to operate efficiently.

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal