LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Old 2012-10-10, 8:33pm
Dix Harrison

Default Mini CC vs. Minor vs. Mega Minor

I currently use tanked propane, an M-15 oxycon, and a Nortel Minor.

Backstory: I bought a Lynx two years ago but never could get the right vibe with it. Believe me, I tried and tried. I wanted to love the Lynx--but, ultimately I went back to the Minor. I am selling the Lynx.

For those of you who have experience with all three torches (Minor, Mega Minor, Mini CC), how do they compare? I am specifically interested in flame characteristics and efficiency using the oxycon.

I have heard that the Mega Minor is better on the oxycon than the Minor.
I have heard the Mini CC is also good on the oxycon.

I would like to have a backup torch to replace the Lynx.

Any advice??????

Dix
Old 2012-10-10, 8:58pm
No Longer an LE Member

Definitely the mini cc - ask Corrina Tettinger it is the torch she uses and has since her start.It has served her amazingly well
Old 2012-10-10, 10:01pm

the cricket

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#C-151
Old 2012-10-11, 5:35am
Angie09

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyregallerie View Post
Definitely the mini cc - ask Corrina Tettinger it is the torch she uses and has since her start.It has served her amazingly well
Yep, just took a week long class with Corina and she uses a Mini CC (we all did there) and says it has the best radiant heat of all the torches for stringer and detail work. She too had a Lynx (look in Passing the Flame .. she's using a Lynx) but the GTTs
just don't have the radiant heat. I've owned the Lynx and now have the Scorpion but I use my Minor for soft glass/stringer work. The only thing I didn't like about the Mini ccs we used was you couldn't adjust the angle of the torch like you can the Minor or the Scorpion. May have just been the one I used at the class but that was a definite concern for the way I work. I asked Corina what was the #2 torch for radiant heat and she said the Minor so I'll stay with mine for a while until I get some more money and then buy the Mini. Hope this helps.
Old 2012-10-11, 9:08am
Salt Box Beads

The mini CC was too radient, my forearm burned from all that radient heat.

The Mega which I have also produces radient heat a little less than the mini but the flame is hotter and I can do boro with it. I wear Kevlar sleeves to protect from the heat.

I also have a Cricket, not much radient heat and not a bushy flame, so completely different. If you work slowly and are constantly batheing your beads in the ambient heat you will NOT like the Cricket. If you work large beads and use ambient heat you probably will not like the Cricket. If you work small, details and fast fast fast you will love the cricket.

I plan on having my Cricket set up next to my Mega so I can switch whenever I want.

The Mega for me is perfect, bushy radient heat, can be adjusted to a small flame fairly easily, will melt boro easily, here is a video clip for you, and is reasonable in price.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INjLBsdKMHU

Last edited by Lorraine Chandler; 2012-12-04 at 9:41am.
Old 2012-10-12, 7:09am
Dix Harrison

Lorraine:

I am so grateful for everyone's insight and experience. How does your mega do with a concentrator? I've noticed that my minor fluctuates a bit when it is hooked up to the OxyCon. I know the mega was advertised as being better.

Dix
Old 2012-10-12, 11:46am
burnin' glass just becuz

I used a Mega Minor on a 5lpm oxycon for several years - it worked fine for beads up to about 3" long/1" deep even tho with that level lpm it was only running at about 60% capacity. Earlier this year i switched to an 8lpm EX-15 oxycon which ran the Mega at full capacity - made a HUGE difference - it was like owning a whole new torch and i was able to work so much bigger and faster!!

If you make mostly bigger (1.5"+) or sculptural work then i would suggest the Mega as it has a wider, softer flame, gives off lots of radiant heat and it stays cool enough that you can rest your hand on it even after several hours of work. It's a great little torch for the price.

If you make mainly small rounds then go with the Minor - it has a narrow but very intense flame and can melt a small area much faster than the Mega. I found that narrow flame annoying for big/sculptural work tho since my ends would be cold and near cracking while the middle was dripping off the mandrel. It also works fine on a 5lpm oxycon but is at full capacity with 8lpm.

I can't speak to the Mini CC since i've never tried one... i've heard it's comparable to the Mega but people seem to complain a lot about the torch getting hot.

Give ideas away - there are new ones underneath... Diane Vreeland
Old 2012-10-12, 11:57am

I'm a Mini CC fan but I haven't tried the Mega Minor. Years ago I bought a Phantom, never could relate to it and sold it after a few months so I know how you feel Dix. The Mini CC has the perfect flame for what I do, at least for small pieces. For larger pieces I use my Mid range. They both had hot but soft flames, perfect for sculpting soft glass.

Sea Rocks Tutorial
- Ebook
- Follow me on
- My
shop
Old 2012-10-12, 2:45pm
Salt Box Beads

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansassky View Post
Lorraine:

I am so grateful for everyone's insight and experience. How does your mega do with a concentrator? I've noticed that my minor fluctuates a bit when it is hooked up to the OxyCon. I know the mega was advertised as being better.

Dix
Mega runs very well on the smaller concentrators but if you can go to 20 lpm you will be thrilled, with it.
Old 2012-10-13, 7:09pm

I love my mega minor on one OxyCon, but I haven't tried anything else.

Facebook:

Free Lampwork and Jewelry Tutorials, with easy searching, prominent linkage to your shop or site, and rotating featured tutorials:
Old 2012-10-14, 5:46am

Red face Mini CC vs. Minor vs. Mega Minor

Have only used a Minor and Mini CC -- learned to torch on a Minor with tanked oxygen; then purchased a Mini CC and have only used it with Oxycons and LOVE it!!! (Found the Minor stiff and slow somehow; find the Mini CC to be soft and fast -- don't know how else to describe it.) Have had my Mini for over six years now with no problems at all -- got a 2nd (bigger) concentrator about 3 years ago and use it to get more heat.

Some folks around here seem to love the Minor, but I just don't see why -- I guess it boils down to what you get used to.

Good luck with your choice!
Old 2012-12-04, 8:47am
Heart of Flame

I'm late to the party here but wanted to thank OP for this post. This was exactly my question and thanks for everyone's input! I have the minor but think I will now move to the Mega.

Old 2012-12-11, 9:26am

Quote:
Originally Posted by wd2crv View Post
I'm late to the party here but wanted to thank OP for this post. This was exactly my question and thanks for everyone's input! I have the minor but think I will now move to the Mega.
@ wd2crv - Have you purchsed the Mega? I am considering these three options for an upgrade from my Hot Head. Just wondering how you are making out?

~
~
~
~
Old 2012-12-11, 9:32am

Quote:
Originally Posted by julieann1674 View Post
@ wd2crv - Have you purchsed the Mega? I am considering these three options for an upgrade from my Hot Head. Just wondering how you are making out?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansassky View Post
I currently use tanked propane, an M-15 oxycon, and a Nortel Minor.

Backstory: I bought a Lynx two years ago but never could get the right vibe with it. Believe me, I tried and tried. I wanted to love the Lynx--but, ultimately I went back to the Minor. I am selling the Lynx.

For those of you who have experience with all three torches (Minor, Mega Minor, Mini CC), how do they compare? I am specifically interested in flame characteristics and efficiency using the oxycon.

I have heard that the Mega Minor is better on the oxycon than the Minor.
I have heard the Mini CC is also good on the oxycon.

I would like to have a backup torch to replace the Lynx.

Any advice??????

Dix
@ kansassky - Did you go with the Mini CC or the Mega Minor? I have been leaning towards the Mega Minor (from a Hot Head). Thank you for starting the thread.

~
~
~
~