Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2012-12-21, 5:00am

Location: 6 month in Ontario and 6 month in either Michigan or Florida
Smile I want to upgrade my torch

My husband wants to buy me a new torch and I would like it to do bigger boro sculptures, I would like it to work on NG but if propane is necessary I could still do it, I have an Oxycon that is an M20. I am currently on a lynx but the flame isn't wide enough do to tubing (pulling points). I am leaning towards The Bravo or maybe Nortel Mega Minor Bench Burner. Can anyone give me their thoughts on which would be better or even other torches that I should be looking at???

Thanks

Micki

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2012-12-21, 8:23am
Marble Lover

Do you plan on sticking with the M20?

Here's a current thread of mine about the Bravo in particular over in the Torch subforum. I'm on an M20 and looking at a Bravo:

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=236828

From what I've been reading here and other places, the M20 is going to be your limiting factor for Boro. You might want to also look at a GTT Scorpion, but again, you're looking at having to increase your O2 input to get good use from it. To pull points, I would think you'll want to get the widest flame possible to heat the largest area evenly.

-BEP
Old 2012-12-21, 8:39am
Marble Lover

Also, read this thread:

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=206662
Old 2012-12-30, 9:23am
PyronamixK

How large do you want to go with your sculptures? Are you open to adding more oxygen concentrators to your set-up?

The Scorpion is the most oxygen-efficient torch in its size class and can perform better than the two torches you mentioned on the concentrator you mentioned. If you are looking to run a concentrator and want the most heat out of it, then you should definitely choose a Scorpion over a Bravo. The Scorpion was designed to run on concentrators (GTT is the first torch company to design torches to run on concentrators).

Bethlehem says that the Bravo is designed to run on low pressure, but if you look at the oxygen consumption rates, you can easily see that while it can run on low pressure, it requires a high volume of oxygen to get its maximum flame. The Scorpion, however, is designed to run on low pressure AND low volume. If given the same concentrator set-up, the Scorpion would give you more heat than the Bravo.

The M20 will do a good job running your centerfire, and you could get it to run a soft flame with the inner and outer fires of the Scorpion, but you would do better with adding more oxygen (any two-stage torch would need more oxygen).
Old 2012-12-30, 10:30am
Salt Box Beads

Here is a great video link for you. It shows a man creating a decent sculpture in boro with a mega minor. He is actually reviewing it. You can see him create the sculpture from beginning to end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INjLBsdKMHU
Old 2012-12-30, 7:07pm

How would a scorpion do on two five lpm concentrators? I recently picked up another concentrator for my cricket so now it is screaming hot.
Would a scorpion outer fire run on 5 lpm?
Old 2012-12-30, 8:16pm
Alaska Boro

Found the same thing with the Cricket. A pair of five LPM machines does make it come to life. Now using a Scorpion with three five LPM machines on NG and it works fine.

Seems the general thought is that the Scorpion takes 11 LPM to run. Two machines at 4 LPM as to not decrease purity would be a little under powered for that torch IMO.
Old 2012-12-30, 8:37pm
PyronamixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rough_necked View Post
How would a scorpion do on two five lpm concentrators? I recently picked up another concentrator for my cricket so now it is screaming hot.
Would a scorpion outer fire run on 5 lpm?
I would recommend connecting the oxygen inputs for the inner and outer fires of the Scorpion together, connecting the two 5 LPM machines together (both set to 5 LPM), and running the torch like that. It does better with more oxygen, but 9-10 LPM is actually pretty good for most soft glass applications and some boro. I have a YouTube video showing what kind of flames you can get with a Scorpion on a 10 LPM machine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9geqaBmZS8s

I have other videos showing what it can do on different oxygen sources, as well.
Old 2012-12-31, 9:56pm

Major Mega Minor for sale below.

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=234804