AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Old 2013-01-02, 11:43am
weird

Default Have I ruined my Minor?

I've been using this burner daily for about 10 years now. At some point along the way, it started forming orange crumbs (carbon) on the very center port, and only on that port. I'd knock it off if I was in the middle of a bead, and then brush it off with my steel brush and deep clean it fairly regularly with the pin vise/wire tool.

I've tried upping the (tanked) oxygen, decreasing the gas, working farther out in the flame, I'm pretty sure I'm running the candles the right length, blah, blah, blah. I clean it off but it always comes back. I can only go about 10 minutes without that dreaded orange crumb showing up. I'd think it was my propane or me if I had the same problem with my Lynx. I never have to clean that one, but I do anyway.

This is what it looks like. Is this bad? If so, can it be repaired? Has anyone here had experience with this, or sending burners to Nortel for repair?

Name:  minorports.jpg
Views: 668
Size:  22.7 KB

Thanks for reading,
Sarah
Old 2013-01-02, 11:48am
Run Free Sweet Boy

I knock schmutz off my minor all the time, and my carlisle, and my mid range. I know I am running the flame correctly. Its just the nature of the beast. Unless your flame has changed, its not burning evenly etc etc, then its fine. You can always send it in for a cleaning if you want as well.

"It's not what you have, it's who you are."
Old 2013-01-02, 11:53am
Who me?

For some reason, the center port of my Bobcat is the only one that that forms orange, carbon crumbs....must be the life of center ports. LOL
Old 2013-01-02, 2:32pm
weird

Has your schmutz (haha, I always spelled it schmootz) actually burned out the metal around your port? That's what I seem to be dealing with here. Seems I remember reading that once this got going, there was no way to keep it from getting worse.

A nice little bird told me that it could be the age of my hoses... and they are about a day older than dirt, turns out. I'm going to replace them and see if that helps, but it still doesn't solve the problem of that funky center port. Good to know, though, that orange crumbs are fairly normal, and center ports tend to suffer. I was feeling like a jerk, like maybe I've been neglectful of my most important tool.

Sarah
Old 2013-01-02, 3:49pm
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

I am only a year in, and on a HotHead at that, so I really can't offer any advice... but I do have a question. When I read your first post my reaction was that after 10 years of daily use I wouldn't expect ANYTHING to still be functioning properly (well, unless it says Evinrude on the side.)

Are these torches really that durable? What's people's expectations of the lifespan on the torch investment? It's never occured to me that a torch would last longer than any other small appliance - it would help make the investment make more sense.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
L-111

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2013-01-02, 3:58pm
PyronamixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamper View Post
For some reason, the center port of my Bobcat is the only one that that forms orange, carbon crumbs....must be the life of center ports. LOL
The center port does take on more heat than the other ports, making it easy for carbon to attach there. Getting specks now and then is typical, but if you are getting big growths of carbon, you could be skating on the edge of a bad flame and should bump up the oxygen a tiny bit. Or, it could need to be cleaned more thoroughly. Carbon build-up attracts more carbon.
Old 2013-01-02, 4:05pm
PyronamixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
I've been using this burner daily for about 10 years now. At some point along the way, it started forming orange crumbs (carbon) on the very center port, and only on that port. I'd knock it off if I was in the middle of a bead, and then brush it off with my steel brush and deep clean it fairly regularly with the pin vise/wire tool.

I've tried upping the (tanked) oxygen, decreasing the gas, working farther out in the flame, I'm pretty sure I'm running the candles the right length, blah, blah, blah. I clean it off but it always comes back. I can only go about 10 minutes without that dreaded orange crumb showing up. I'd think it was my propane or me if I had the same problem with my Lynx. I never have to clean that one, but I do anyway.

This is what it looks like. Is this bad? If so, can it be repaired? Has anyone here had experience with this, or sending burners to Nortel for repair?

Attachment 132836

Thanks for reading,
Sarah
You definitely have some tube erosion going on. Once it starts doing that, it's going to just keep eating back into the torch unless you get it taken care of. The further it goes back, the faster it will deteriorate, so I would contact Nortel and send it in for them to true up the face for you.
Old 2013-01-02, 4:07pm
PyronamixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by eregel View Post
I am only a year in, and on a HotHead at that, so I really can't offer any advice... but I do have a question. When I read your first post my reaction was that after 10 years of daily use I wouldn't expect ANYTHING to still be functioning properly (well, unless it says Evinrude on the side.)

Are these torches really that durable? What's people's expectations of the lifespan on the torch investment? It's never occured to me that a torch would last longer than any other small appliance - it would help make the investment make more sense.
It depends on the quality of the torch and how well you take care of it. A well-built torch that is run properly and is well-maintained can last a lifetime (or longer).
Old 2013-01-02, 4:09pm
Who me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbinkster View Post
The center port does take on more heat than the other ports, making it easy for carbon to attach there. Getting specks now and then is typical, but if you are getting big growths of carbon, you could be skating on the edge of a bad flame and should bump up the oxygen a tiny bit. Or, it could need to be cleaned more thoroughly. Carbon build-up attracts more carbon.
Thanks, it's nothing more than I have to flick off a little every week or so ....torching daily... I just thought it was odd that both torches did it on the center port. Thanks for the explanation.
Old 2013-01-02, 9:08pm

Quote:

A well designed and built torch should outlast the owner. I have been running my mirage hard for two years now and it still looks new. I can run both stages and the barrel close to the face is barely warm to the touch. You do get what you pay for.
Old 2013-01-02, 9:19pm
weird

Quote:

Actually, yes. I agree with Kimberly. It's why people don't bat an eye at such an investment because these things are built to last. In fact, I used the same Hot Head for 5 years without a single problem. And it helps that there isn't much that can go wrong when they're used properly - it isn't like there's a computer chip inside that tells them to go kaput after a few years.

I'm relieved to hear that this can possibly be remedied without having to replace it entirely. I don't want to buy another Minor. I know this one like it's my third hand, and it practically is. I'm quite certain that no two torches are alike, even the same model by the same maker.

I've searched the forum for a while now and haven't found satisfactory solutions for what I've been experiencing, until today. Thanks so much for the wealth of info and experience shared here.

Sarah