LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2007-06-21, 11:05am
The one, the only

Here's the best place in Europe I've found so far: Glassworks
It's a place based in Belgium and they speak English, French, German and Dutch.

You can also go to this German site which is very good too: Glas Sulger

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-
Old 2007-06-21, 5:05pm

Default Encasement breakthrough in this tutorial too!

I just sent a pm to Amy in case she isn't checking this thread and this is what it said. Bet you will like this method too, Judy!

"Thanks once more for adding more details to your petal bead tutorials.

I have to tell you that this time there was a real gem in the details for me that will apply to more than this style bead.

Although I read and watch every book or video I can get my hands on, I am still on a HH and have only taken a 2 day class when I first started lampworking 2.5 years ago.

Encasing has come along with lots of PPP, but I had never seen your tip re adding extra casing (but only on top of the other casing.) Since the HH can't melt big globs of the encasement, I am always coming up short on the quantity needed to fully cover beads (of this or other types.) Often I get a shadowy look at the ends and/or not enough coverage and just less-than-optimal ends on the beads.

Today I tried your tip of adding "collars" of encasement at the sides on top of the first centered encasement layers, and, eureka - I think it worked - at least the bead looked much better going into the kiln than others I've made.

I have added extra encasement before - but always tried to add it next to the first layers. You're right this is not ideal.

Well, I just wanted to say thanks personnally and wasn't sure if you were still following the thread."
Old 2007-07-13, 3:40pm
Smile, it's contagious!

holy moly! I just made one of these, and it took me a good hour... probably longer than that. (and that was before I added the pig parts) It ended up humongous!! It was very difficult to melt in the clear at the end since the bead was so large. I'm pretty sure there are some scummy spots too... my hh doesn't like clear for long periods of time, lol! I'm in awe of those that can make whole sets of these beads... I don't have the patience. I'll try to post a pic tomorrow when it comes out of the kiln

Some people are like a Slinky... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs.
Old 2007-07-18, 12:46pm

Default Amy's tutorial petal attempt

Thanks Amy for that great tutorial. I am a beginner. This is my first petal try. My big problem is the petals look ragged. Another is how do you get so many petals. I find if I place my first dot in the middle with a narrow bead I only have room for at most 3 dots? Also it looks like my last dot almost covered all the others.
Joy

Old 2010-01-06, 5:45pm
Dancing Moon Shadows

Hi Amy,

I know this thread is several years old, but I'm hoping you'll take the time to help another inquiring mind...

Although I've made disk beads, I've never tried to stripe them. My striped beads are started on a donut. Anyway, my question is, how THICK is your initial disk? 4mm or more? I spent this afternoon trying to make this bead and I'm seriously frustrated. Not YOUR fault, something I'm "missing" to be sure!

My other question is this, when I melt my first row of dots in, should they be to the edges of the disk? And when moving 'slightly out to the right', do they all start at the same point from then on, just making smaller with each layer? UGH... I hope you answer this, I think these are just gorgeous!

Thanks so much for your infinite patience!

Amy[/quote]

Quote:
Originally Posted by amy trescott View Post
When I say a "disk" bead, I mean like the bead below that has an arrow pointing to it. And, place the dots around the disk exactly like they are in the pic. Slowly melt them in, relatively trying to keep the disk shape (it'll make it easier to get the stripes if you keep the shape rather "disk-ish".

Have fun,
Amy

[/b][/i][/font]
Old 2010-01-06, 6:13pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by asimeral View Post
Hi Amy,

I know this thread is several years old, but I'm hoping you'll take the time to help another inquiring mind...

Although I've made disk beads, I've never tried to stripe them. My striped beads are started on a donut. Anyway, my question is, how THICK is your initial disk? 4mm or more? I spent this afternoon trying to make this bead and I'm seriously frustrated. Not YOUR fault, something I'm "missing" to be sure!

My other question is this, when I melt my first row of dots in, should they be to the edges of the disk? And when moving 'slightly out to the right', do they all start at the same point from then on, just making smaller with each layer? UGH... I hope you answer this, I think these are just gorgeous!

Thanks so much for your infinite patience!

Amy
[/quote]

Amy did a written tutorial on these beads that will answer all your questions.

http://lampworketc.com/forums/showth...hlight=rainbow

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2010-01-07, 5:47am
what's a senior moment ?

Or maybe she would be kind enough to answer your question in a pm ? You just never know unless you ask.

Old 2010-01-07, 7:34am

It will be the best $12 you ever spend. I love making them.
Old 2010-01-07, 8:31am
Unmedicated since '62

amy's tut was the first one i ever bought and i'd only been lampworking for a few weeks

this was the result

not only is it a fantastic tut but its got some great tips on encasing - well worth the money
Attached Images

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2010-01-07, 11:40am
Dancing Moon Shadows

Cool! I didn't even know there WAS a tute on this aside from the thread! Thx!

[/b][/i][/font]
Old 2010-01-08, 8:30pm
tweetysweetie

I don't usually buy tuts but just loved this one by Amy so I gave in.....superb! Very well written, great photos and a welcome addtion to anyone's library of "how to's"... 5 star recommendation from me.

Old 2010-01-08, 9:41pm
Queen Bee

Amy also has a great tutorial on how to make her rainbow bead: wonderful step by step directions with full color photos: http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php...ng_id=19453114

Donna

Vintage & Contemporary Beads, Findings, Chains, Trinity Brass, Vintaj, Bead Tubing, Bobbins

Handmade Artist Lampwork Jewelry
Old 2010-01-17, 3:40pm
The Andrea Half

I have NOT bought Amy's tutorial (being broke atm!), but I tried this from the public posts she has made (thank you, Amy, for your generosity!). Keep in mind that I am dot-challenged, which is why I wanted to make some of these beads. This is an exercise in learning precision, for me.

Obviously I made my initial dots too small, and I need to work on dot uniformity. I also need to be less timid & make sure my transparent completely covers my white opaque. Other suggestions?

Here's the same technique in chalcedony:

FWIW, I apologize about he pictures. I have bunged up my camera settings & am getting way too much noise. Oh, well, will find my way back. I was starting to play with actual settings rather than automatic presets. It;s the step backward that makes you learn, I think.

Old 2021-08-02, 4:20am

Beautiful
Old 2021-08-02, 4:22am

Ty