TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Old 2005-12-18, 3:58am
Maria B @ Indone6ix

Default Please Help, I need Your Opinion/Suggestion..

Hi guys, I just started lampworking, I took 1 class and I'm confident to torch at home. I dont drive and I dont go out much. Specially when its below zero outside. I prefer to buy DVD. I have Corina's stringer control and goes to Hollywood. I have Making Glass Beads book, and Passing the Flame. And some small booklets like Jim Smircich's, Corina's Spotlights. I also have Sharon Peter's booklet. But I find it easier to watch tutorial.

I need to learn from basic again, so I need your sugestion on DVD for beginner lampworking. The one that covers all the basic stuff, but also cover all the most common techniques (like stringer, encasing, raking, ribbon, flaring, etc).

I have many link for the places that sell DVD, I just have a hard time choosing the one that suited my need. Please help! Thank you so much in advance!
Happy Holiday!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by born2snooze; 2005-12-18 at 4:03am.
Old 2005-12-18, 5:14am
Word to your mother

Edna,

Before you go buying those videos, check the Pay It Forward thread. Lots of people are willing to loan them out. Then you can see them ALL!

Here's the thread http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=675

Old 2005-12-18, 12:33pm
Surrounded by Trouble

There was a site that someone had put a link to at one time, where you can rent DVD's and videos on lampwroking. They had many different ones that you could choose from. I will look and see if I can find it for you.
Maybe a good option to rent them, if you really love them buy them later. I know I never watched mine more than twice. Sorry I passed them onto a friend or I would send them off to you.

Old 2005-12-18, 12:45pm

I rent from these guys all the time. You get the video's for a week for 9.99. For me it makes more sense to rent cause I rarley go back and re-watch things. I watch the video's 2 or 3 times b4 I snd them back.
http://technicalvideorental.com/rental_7.html

Need custom made price tags? Check out my friend
! Mention my name.
I LOVE these cards, plus they make life a little easier when getting ready for shows!

Old 2005-12-18, 1:48pm
Maria B @ Indone6ix

Hi Kendra, I will check the link tonight. Thank you

Hi Shawn, I have seen the rental thing, I dont know if it will work for me, cause I live in Canada, and the shipping will take longer, etc.

Julie, thank you for the link!

I need your suggestion on which DVD is the most complete for beginner like me. I have the links for many, but having a hard time deciding which one to pick.

Old 2005-12-18, 7:17pm
Maria B @ Indone6ix

Bump!

Old 2005-12-18, 7:36pm
Dichro Addict

Hi Edna,

I think that Molly at Heritage has an excellent starting glass bead making DVD. Her site is heritageglass.com. Hope this helps.

Vicki
Old 2005-12-18, 10:48pm
Maria B @ Indone6ix

Thank you Vicky! I'll check it out!

I'm going to list all the DVD I found, it maight be easier for people to give their opinion if I mention the tittles. Be back soon!

Old 2005-12-18, 11:29pm
Maria B @ Indone6ix

Hi guys, here's the list of what I thought teach the very basic. There are so many out there, but some of them teach Boro technique, which I dont think I need. (I'm not sure I will go that way yet. And some of them teach advance stuff, which I know which one I want but I will get them next time, right now, I need to start again from basic.

Flameworking (Elizabeth Mears)
Essential Beadmaking (Freeman Corbin)
Crystal Myth - Glass Bead Making
Crystal Myth - Lampworking 1&2
Torch Time - Molly Heynis
Introduction to Lampworked Beadmaking - Kate Fowle
Smircich Makes Beads - Jim Smircich

All I need you to do, is to give me your kind opinion about those DVD's, which one do you think is the most complete or just the best one for beginner. or if you could think of any that is not listed above.

Thanks so much! Please help!

Old 2005-12-19, 9:21pm
Maria B @ Indone6ix

Bump! Still need your help!

Old 2005-12-20, 6:41am
אהבה אני ישו

If you will be working on a Hot Head, Torch Time will be your best bet. I think it is the only one that teaches on a Hot Head. I have seen the video and I think it is as good as taking a beginning class, but you can rewind and rewatch.

Hope this helps -

Believer
Wife
Mother
Grandmother
Student
Artist

Wishes the hot flashes she has were only the kind that occur at her torch...

Old 2005-12-21, 2:45am
Maria B @ Indone6ix

I use a minor torch, will it be different if the tutorial is using hothead?

Thank you Melissa!

Old 2006-01-06, 3:56pm
Beadmaking.nl

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by born2snooze
I need your suggestion on which DVD is the most complete for beginner like me. I have the links for many, but having a hard time deciding which one to pick.
Perhaps this reaction is to late for you, but may be helpfull for others who are looking for advise: I am a newbie myself and I find the DVD from Smircich very clear and he shows us how you can make beautiful beads with such little of material.

But I have to say that I didn't see all the other DVD's.

By the way: The book of Corina Tettinger "Passing the Flame" I bought in Las Vegas to read in the airplane back to the Netherlands. When I got out of the plane, I just wanted one thing to do and that was making Beads myself.

And still... am I reading Corina's book over and over again. I love it!

Last edited by Margrieten; 2006-01-06 at 3:58pm.