Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2010-01-07, 12:46pm
novembersfyre everywhere

Default A great alternative to printing tutorials

I know a lot of you have recently acquired something like an iphone, an ipod touch or some other type of palm computer like device. My favorite Christmas present is my new ipod touch.

There is a free app called File Lite that allows you to download all kinds of documents to your device. It will allow you to do this for 200MB worth of docs of nearly all file types and it does show you how much storage space you have left. If you need more there is a paid version for around $4.99.

Anyway, I loaded up the app and easily downloaded a couple of my tutorial pdfs. It's great! The main reason I need my tut at the torch is to look at the pictures and with my ipod touch I can easily enlarge them to look at them then put it in a safe place. I love this thing! (Not to mention the one hundred classic books I now have loaded on it for free.)

And, maybe I'm the last to know about things but perhaps there are a few of you out there that haven't considered this option.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-01-07, 12:55pm
Dangerous Woman

I thought about it. DH hooked something up to out TV so we can hook the iphone to it. I wonder if I could get the tutorials to come up on the TV. That would be cool!

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2010-01-07, 12:55pm
In search of her path....

I was wondering if I could do that Mary! I was also thinking this might be a perfect solution for tutorials at the torch. I will have to check out that app!

Prints for sale in my
!
Old 2010-01-07, 12:58pm
novembersfyre everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by playswithfire104 View Post
I thought about it. DH hooked something up to out TV so we can hook the iphone to it. I wonder if I could get the tutorials to come up on the TV. That would be cool!
Yup, I believe you can do that. He probably used an HDMI cable.

Go for it - Karin!

Old 2010-01-07, 3:29pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

TOO cool! Ok, so I downloaded it into my itouch.
Now how do you work it ???? HELP!

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2010-01-07, 3:30pm

Thanks Mary Beth that's a great idea. I love my Itouch too!
Old 2010-01-07, 3:37pm
novembersfyre everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen Hardy View Post
TOO cool! Ok, so I downloaded it into my itouch.
Now how do you work it ???? HELP!
On your iphone/ipod touch:

Go to the app icon on your itouch. Tap it. It will display a URL to you. It will look something like:

http://n.nnn.n.nnn:nnnn

Leave that message there.

On your computer:

Go to your computer. Open your browser and type in that URL. (You can close the message on your itouch now).

A web site on your computer will open that will allow you to browse your files on your desktop. Pick a file. Click on upload. You will get a message when the file has uploaded succesfully.

On your iphone/ipod touch:

Look at the app on your itouch. You should see the filename in a list when you open the app. Tap the file name to open it. You should be able to see the file now. Tap twice on an opened PDF page to get an icon in the upper left hand corner to return to the file list.

Edited to add: If the text on your PDF is not embedded then embed it by printing it using something like PDF995. The PDF files with embedded text open faster on your iphone/ipod touch.

HTH!

Last edited by MaryBeth; 2010-01-07 at 4:56pm.
Old 2010-01-07, 4:50pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Thank you so so much for this.I am organizing and downloading all my tuts to the iphone today.

Old 2010-01-11, 1:14am
Frustrated Artist

just FYI, Ipods and hot flying glass are not on friendly terms. Ask my how I know, or better yet, check out the wheel of my baby.

Old 2010-01-11, 11:07am
novembersfyre everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBB View Post
just FYI, Ipods and hot flying glass are not on friendly terms. Ask my how I know, or better yet, check out the wheel of my baby.

I'm going to stick it in my pocket under my leather apron when I'm not looking at it! But thanks for the warning

Old 2010-01-12, 9:52am
HourGlass Studio

Oh...great idea. Thanks

Old 2010-01-12, 4:45pm

Thumbs up carp

Wow, what a great idea. I am running out of room at the torch and I can stick my itouch in a safe spot until I need to look something up.

Thanks much for a great idea.

Sherri C.
Old 2010-01-13, 5:56am
Mary Lockwood

What a great idea, Mary!!!!

As far as putting your ipod up in a safe place, (I don't have one so forgive me if this won't work) I do this for my cell phone:

I attached one of those short charm straps to my cell phone, attached one of those 'command' brand hooks (that have the strong sticky backs) to my ventilation hood side wall, and hung my phone there. I can still see the readout so I know who is calling with caller ID, it is up off my bench where nothing is going to land on it, and it is at eye level.

This might be a good solution for those of you using your ipods for tutorials at the torch.

~~Mary

Old 2010-01-19, 8:55am

I love my itouch for so many reasons - this is just another great one. thanks for the info!
Sals
Old 2010-01-19, 9:07am
Who me?

Even if I had one, I couldn't do this - the TV/DVR controller is so burned up from hot stringers that the keys quit working and I had to order a new one. I now make a practice of putting the new one on the table behind me - LOL.
Old 2010-01-20, 6:36pm
The Forgetful Beadmaker

Brilliant idea Mary Beth! I've got all this high-tec stuff, but I never think to use it. Thanks so much!

Janet
"The standard for lower-risk products for use by current smokers," argues the American Association of Public Health Physicians, "should be the hazard posed by cigarettes, not a pharmaceutical safety standard." Telling smokers they may not use e-cigarettes until they're approved by the FDA is like telling a floundering swimmer not to climb aboard a raft because it might have a leak.
Old 2010-02-08, 12:13pm
reaction junkie

you can put them on your kindle too, if you have one of those. You just need to convert the pdf to the kindle format and upload it via the usb cable. mobipocket.com is the free tool I use to convert to kindle.

/
/
/
Old 2010-02-10, 8:44am

Yes you can put them on the Kindle but it's black and white only.

I'm waiting for the iPad. THAT will be handy.