Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2006-02-24, 6:07pm

Default OxyCon ? Truth or Hype?

I currently use a Minor with a Healthdyne Alliance Concentrator. I am very happy with my concentrator but would like to add a second one for increased heat and I hope increased ability to get a more oxidizing flame.

I have 2 questions.

1. Is it best to buy the same brand as I already have as my second
concentrator? I have read that it is as buying a different brand
could cause a problem with the 2 machines competing with each
other and causing less than opitmal conditions. Is this truth or hype?

2. Will a second concentrator really give me more heat and more ability
adjust my flame conditions?

Thanks for all of your help with this!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-02-24, 6:54pm
Boldly going

1. They need not be the same manufacturer. But they should be close w.r.t. outlet pressures. Not exact, but close. Otherwise one will overpower the other. I have connected an AirSep NewLife (5 LPM) with an Integra 10 (10LPM) and had great results but I think the Integra was doing most of the work.

2. You will see a dramatic improvement with two oxycons with your Minor. You'll be able to do small Boro beads if you want. It will also give you great flexibility and a much more oxidizing flame if you adjust it that way.

The only problem with adding a second concentrator is you will kick yourself for not doing it sooner.

Good luck.

Brad
Old 2006-02-24, 7:09pm

Brad thanks so much! I want to be sure I make the right choice and be happy with what I have done. Thanks again

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-02-24, 7:43pm
In search of her path....

1: you dont hAVE to get the same model but I found they really did work better when paired with a matched mate they dont get as much back pressure that way at least from my experience with the airseps, invacares and companion 590 models

2: yes you WILL get more heat and more adjustments I found when I had just one on my bobcat I didnt seem to have a full range of flame control when i adjusted my knobs but when I added the second one HOLY COW! it was fricking awesome! I had more heat had more control of heat and was able to adjust my flames with much more accuracy.

Prints for sale in my
!
Old 2006-02-25, 6:29am

Thank you! The one I am looking at is very close in pressure to the one I have and it is the same LPM. It's also on sale

Your input is very helpful!

Old 2006-02-26, 11:07am

add a check valve inline on each of them before connecting them to a "T" or "Y" That Will keep them from tring to fight each other and provent back flow.
Old 2006-02-26, 6:00pm
Old enough to know better

I just hooked up a 2nd oxycon. I got another invacare only because it was just as easy to get that as anything else. I can tell you it's made a HUGE difference. I'm actually making boro beads in a reasonable length of time now. 'Course, now I'm getting spoiled and thinking about getting a tank "for special occasions." But seriously, it's worth getting the 2nd oxycon.

All progress is based upon a universal innate desire on the part of every organism to live beyond its income.
- Samuel Butler, 1912
Old 2006-02-26, 7:38pm

I ordered one and can't wait to get it! I got a different brand but it is within approx 1 psi of mine and is 5 lpm as is mine so I guess I should be good with it.

Thanks for all of your advice!

Old 2006-02-28, 6:36am

Quote:
Originally Posted by smutboy420
add a check valve inline on each of them before connecting them to a "T" or "Y" That Will keep them from tring to fight each other and provent back flow.
Be careful when choosing a check valve. The pressure required to 'activate' any check valve I've seen is greater than the output of most small oxycons. The end result is that there won't be any oxy flow at all.

So come up to the lab and see what's on the slab...

Old 2006-02-28, 6:46am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieson
Be careful when choosing a check valve. The pressure required to 'activate' any check valve I've seen is greater than the output of most small oxycons. The end result is that there won't be any oxy flow at all.
And, most concentrators have a check valve built in, so you don't need a check valve at all...

Old 2006-02-28, 7:08am

I run 2 and LOVE them. It's nice to actually be able to get a neutral flame and melt the glass at the same time.

I have a 5 and a 6 lpm and bought my y connector from Paulette who assured me that backflow was not an issue. You might contact her at Suncoast beads to get the correct answer.

Old 2006-02-28, 9:50am

I did forget about a check valves cracking pressure. (the amount it takes to open it.)
I took that for granted. I have a box of ones from a huge multi torch lathe gas system I took apart. They have less then 1 psi opening pressure. But I have some reg air ones that its stampend in to the side 10psi.
Old 2006-03-08, 4:03pm

I got my second Oxycon and I LOVE it! Today was day 2 with it set up and I am getting adjusted to it just fine. Definately hotter and a true neutral flame. The flame is skinnier which I wasn't expecting, but that makes sense as my prior flame was always just a tad reducing making it a little bushier.

The O2 actually hisses out of the torch now (with just the O2 on..no flame..just to avoid confusion over this). ! I never heard that before with just the one oxycon.

My only problem so far is having a small leak at the new oxycons connection site. No matter what I do I can't get that connection to not leak. I broke 2 Christmas Tree connectors trying to snug it down. Added Teflon tape...all with no success.

I now have a brass fitting on it which will have to remain on it as I can't get it undone. When I try, it starts to turn the connector (which is plastic) on the machine itself. I don't want to break THAT so I guess I will be stuck with this small leak. Good thing it's not pure O2 so it shouldn't make my studio dangerous. Too bad that little amount of leaking 02 isn't available for the Minor tho.

Anyway...thanks for helping me out with this! And Brad you're right, the only real problem with this is why didn't I do it sooner!

Thanks again.

Old 2006-03-08, 7:04pm

congrats on your new baby! I so wish I could afford 2 but someday..
about your problem, you might get some plumbers putty. I am no expert but that is what I would do.

Old 2006-03-09, 3:40am
boro color bender

The volume is not what's important... it's the PSI. One can be a 5 LPM and one can be a 10 LPM. if they are both pushing at 10 PSI or real close, you're good to go.

Glad you got two and are ready to go large!

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2006-03-09, 7:59am

Quote:
Originally Posted by meadowesky
congrats on your new baby! I so wish I could afford 2 but someday..
about your problem, you might get some plumbers putty. I am no expert but that is what I would do.

Thanks for the tip! I didn't even think of trying that. I'll have to pick some up.

Brent I've already been doing big and it's been taking forever! Now I can do even bigger in less time!!