Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2006-03-22, 10:24am
caffiene, beads, bedhead,

Default Propane hook up to minor ahhhhhhhhh!!

Ok Im poor, and im getting poorer by the day trying to get my torch set back up. I am hooking a Minor burner up to propane bbq tank and an oxy con, I got the correct red n green hoses. so the oxy con is not an issue, the issue is the propane regulator. I have read several threads saying i can use the cheaper bbq style regulators on this setup, ok fine however i cannot find a connector to fit the hose to the regulator. and even in that if I bought the expenxive 70.00 regulator from the welding store, would it fit my propane tank? the guy at the welding store told me to bring in my regulator, and hed make it work, but of course i want to be safe.
any suggestions so i can burnnnnnnnnnnn?!!!!
xo L

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~~
~~
Old 2006-03-22, 10:26am
ManBearPig

The regulators I have seen at most welding shops use the standard 1/4" (?) connector that will connect to most all of the hoses I've seen out there. Just take your hose in and he should be able to find a regulator that will work. You don't need to take the propane tank. All those valves are the same size.

Old 2006-03-22, 10:28am

wow quick response. ty!

~~
~~
Old 2006-03-22, 10:45am

oh hell but im back to buying the regulator from the welding store? lol
ya know? just once im gonna get off the cheap way, maybe? ha
Thanks Chad

~~
~~
Old 2006-03-22, 5:00pm
boro color bender

The bbq ones will work. I've never used one, but somebody that has will be along shortly.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2006-03-31, 8:55am
Gentleman of Leisure

A cheap BBQ regulator ( maybe $20 ) will work. It will fit tank and will produce a pressure of about 1/3 psi. Equal to torch running on house hold natural gas. Getting the hose to connect to regulator requires a LEFT HAND THREAD "B" Fitting to connect to red hose of "twin-set" welding hose. You may need a reducer or bushing to adapt opposite end of "B" fitting (us pipe thread) to propane regulator..... "B" fitting should be available at any decent welding supplier...

Here is picture of actual "B" fitting....

Note small groove machined in "flats" where wrench is applied ( hexagon portion of fitting and hose connector) these signify "left hand thread"...

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal