LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Old 2006-03-29, 6:37am
Flamethrower

Default Hot Head Flame COntrol

Hello! I have been reading pages & pages on torches & haven't found the answer I need, If it's way back in the archinves- I appologize. I have been playing with my HH for about 2 months. After the 1st week, I went from MAPP canisters to a 30LB Propolyne tank. I love the larger tank, no more freezing & bigger flame, but a lot of the time, the flame seems very orange & bushy- Even when I bring the valves down as low as the will go (Both HH & Tank, and I have even tried each valves seperately).
I am not ready to go to a minor and I am still nervous about an oxygen tank in my studio (A topic for another time), but how can I get the flame more "under control"? A regulator? Can I put one on a propolyne tank by itself? Would that be the "fix"?
Old 2006-03-29, 7:35am

You probably don't need to go to propolyene, many people use bulk propane without any problems. My suggestions would be:
(1) Always open the valve on the tank all the way. A partially open valve can freeze up and cause problems with gas flow and make it difficult to close the valve.
(2) Don't use a regulator. The hothead is made to be used at the full pressure of the tank.
(3) After you light the torch, turn the valve up and down a little until you find the range where you are regulating the flame. Open the valve until the flame doesn't change anymore, then turn the flame down until you just see a slight change in the blue color of the inner cone of the flame. This is usually a good working flame. Work just above the tip of this cone. If you have trouble with soot, try working further out in the flame or turn the flame down a little more.
(4) If you have trouble with shooting orange flames you may have "gunk" from the tank in the hose. Disconnect the hose from the tank and torch and hang it up overnight to let the "gunk" drain out. I had to do this every 2-3 weeks.

Hope this helps
Old 2006-03-29, 8:13am
Flamethrower

Thanks, I will go home tonight & try that- The valve on the tank to open is huge- Really, open it all the way? I thought I read just open it a little bit- I always hear the woosh....
Old 2006-03-29, 3:55pm

Yes, the valve on the tank should always be opened all the way. Make sure the valve on the torch is closed. If you haven't been opening it all the way, be sure to test for leaks with the valve fully open before you start using the torch again.

Also, I seem to remember that keeping the hose above the top of the tank is suppose to minimizes the amount of "gunk" getting in the line.
Old 2006-03-30, 12:08pm
Flamethrower

Well listen to my sob story- I learned a lot last night...

I ran home, exited to try these suggestions, only to realize that I left the valve on my propoline tank open last night (just partially- thank goodness it was not frozen). Turned on the HH to clear the line & black fog started to spew & stink - I figured this is the odor chemical they put in... Turned off. Disconnected hoses. Liduid propolyne began squirting from the tank- At this point I called in my husband... We got it disconnected & I figured well- no time like the present to hang up the hoses to get the "Gunk" out... Grabbed a canister of MAPP gass to connect to the hot head- Figured I can still bead.... right.... wrong...

(1st Lesson I learned yesterday- Always turn off your valves before walking away, even if it is just to get the phone! 2nd Lesson I Learned- My hoses sit lower than my tank- THIS IS BAD)]

Black foggy substance kept coming out of HH. Ran 2 beads & figured ventilation or not, this just isn't right. Took head off HH. Cleaned out a little glass & some rubbery carbon substance (think it was that stuff from the propoline tank?)... Put HH back together. Now it spews like a dragon breath- all orange! No hiss, no blue flame- I now have an industrial Strength Flame thrower...

I went back around the site to see how others clean their HH & we did the same thing, never took the neck off... so now I am dumbfounded- with no working torch... Bummer.

Last edited by funfuser; 2006-03-30 at 12:24pm.
Old 2006-03-31, 8:27am
Gentleman of Leisure

It may be just the torch........ The "new" hot head under went some manufacturing changes... There have been reports of lack of control of flame by fuel control knob and that when manufactured they no longer have the orifice the older version of HH has (then have something different now). This means you will have less control of flame and may not be able to clean torch as described on Caldron Creations web site....

http://www.cauldroncreations.com/hotheadinfo.html

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2006-03-31, 11:05am
Flamethrower

I think I agree with you, Dale. My glass supplier in town lent me two of his older HH & they both work great- they have WAY more control than my HH did EVER...(rest it's soul)- So now, I am wondering if I even want another "new" hot head....
Old 2006-03-31, 11:47am
Gentleman of Leisure

If you can find a "vintage" one with orifice, go for it... If not, maybe its time to upgrade...

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal