Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2012-12-19, 11:08am
Marble Lover

Default Looking at getting a Bravo

I've been messing around with lampworking for about 6 months now and I think I'm ready to get my own torch. I've been working on a borrowed Wildcat and it's not the torch for me.

My setup:
- Tanked propane, with the possibility of NG in the far future
- One M20 OxyCon ( 10 lpm )

I've read a lot of posts on the various torches comparing flame charactistics, etc., and I think the Bravo is what I'm looking for. These are my goals:

- Soft glass and Boro marbles ( up to 2"? )
- Soft glass and Boro ornaments on hollow mandrels
- Boro / COE90 ornaments made from tubing
- Small amount of Soft glass sculpture stuff like XMas snowmen
- Small amount of beads, any glass.

From what I've read, the Bravo has a flame that is adjustable enough to do all of the above and should be able to do the Boro marbles on the M20.

If I'm wrong, please let me know. I have some time, I have some things to sell before I can make this purchase.

Thanks, everyone. Your insights are appreciated.

-BEP
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-12-19, 12:17pm

I just got my bravo and have not set it up yet but from the sound of it your research is correct as far as the right torch for what you want to do. I know the bravo can operate on lower pressures but not sure if one 10 LPM oxy con is sufficient as I personally have not tried it. I have an m20 also which is hooked to an 11 gallon holding tank and my cc mini and works great for soft glass and will melt some boro albeit slower. I would definately recommend Trey Coronettes tutorial on setting up the holding tank for your bravo if tanked o2 is not an option. Also if you add another 10 LPM oxy con later it would probably rock.
Old 2012-12-19, 2:37pm
Alaska Boro

See PDF for Bravo oxygen needs.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Oxygen_Requirements.pdf (19.7 KB, 369 views)
Old 2012-12-19, 2:45pm
Irish Eyes A Smiling

I've had my Bravo up and running for about 6 months.....it is FABULOUS!! My set up is Bravo on propane with 2 Regalia 10L each...one to each flame ring. No holding tank or foot peddle. I do primarily 104 glass....boro occasionally ..... Murrini on a regular basis....have found nothing so far that the Bravo can't handle.......the flame goes from so fine it's laser sized to a big dragon breath....neutral easy to find and set....I moved to Bravo from Mini CC..it's now my back up torch.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-12-19, 4:34pm
Now part of the Dark Side

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I love my Bravo. I'm using tanked oxy and there is enough fire power on the center fire to work most of what I do, 104 or Boro. I do have a foot pedal for that extra blast of heat. Mostly I use it to quickly obtain a gather, and for marbles. It is a fantastic torch and the new version has a flat base plate and better locking nuts on the articulation. I'm now waiting, with baited breath, for the Bravo's big brother, the Champion.
Old 2012-12-19, 4:43pm
Marble Lover

It seems the only potential issue I'll run into is not enough O2 pumping through it on just the single M20. Getting the scratch for the torch is going to be tough enough, there's no way I can afford another OxyCon. Or a homefill. Or tanked.

So I guess the question I need answered is will the Bravo handle Boro marbles up to around 1-1/2" when on just a single M20? I can live with 1-1/2" mibs for now. And I guess by "handle" I mean can it provide enough heat to not have me wasting a ton of time because of the lack of heat? I want to be able to make marbles, but not if it's painstakingly long just to get and keep the glass at a working temp.

I appreciate everyone's input. I definitely don't want to make the wrong decision on this purchase.

-BEP
Old 2012-12-20, 2:44pm

An M20 should run the center fire on the Bravo at about full power. You are going to need a 2nd and 3rd M20 for the outer fire. I would think that 1.5" is going to be the upper limit with just the center fire, more like 1-1.25". I looked at tanked as an investment. For $250 I can buy, not rent, a 125 CuFt tank full of O2, It costs me $19 to take it to the welding shop to swap for a full one. And I have full use of my torch. Currently, torching about 4-6 hours a week, one tank lasts me about 4 weeks.
Old 2012-12-20, 3:02pm
Marble Lover

Hrm, I didn't realize tanked could be that low in price. I'll see what the welding shops here charge. I'm only in this for the hobby aspect so I figured the OxyCon was a better route for me since I'm not going to be generating any money from glass.

I guess there's always the option of having the center fire on the OxyCon and the outer on the tanked/pedal for when I really want it. Dunno, since I already invested in a new OxyCon.

The GOOD news is I got an unexpected check today that will pay for a new torch and a little more so I am now officially in the market for the new torch without having to sell something.

Thanks for all your insight, Roy, and thanks to everyone else who has chimed in.

-BEP
Old 2012-12-20, 3:06pm

Lots of people hook the tank to the outer fire and use the oxycon on the inner.
Old 2012-12-20, 3:20pm
Marble Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonharper View Post
Lots of people hook the tank to the outer fire and use the oxycon on the inner.
Good to hear. I was thinking I was being a little overly... an*l doing that.

AirGas is 3.5 miles from my house so I just called them. a 150cuft tank is $293 to purchase (full) and refills are about $25. I can deal with that.

-BEP
Old 2012-12-20, 3:31pm
GLASS ADDICT

I have an Alpha (the center fire on the Bravo) on a single m15 and it is fantastic,on an m20 it should run at full power you will love it.
Old 2012-12-20, 9:45pm
Co-owner

Great chart but don't forget to adjust for elevation. The Hellcat is rated at 30 lpm, but we have it plumbed into 5 ( lpm concentrators because we are at 5,000' elevation.

PHONE: (385) 237-3365
OXYGEN 24 HOUR TEXT LINE: (801) 949-0575
LAMPWORKING 24 HOUR TEXT LINE: (801) 949-0576