Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2005-11-08, 7:33am
ManBearPig

Default Need torch recommendations...

Okay. As some of you know, we're in the process of building our new studio. When it's done it will have at least 8 torches. Maybe 10 or 12.

We have 4 Minors right now, and they work great for our beginning beadmaking classes. But, we want to be able to do more advanced classes and classes using boro (marbles, sculpture, etc.). So, I'm looking for torch recommendations. Of course I'd love to have a room full of Phantoms, Mirages, or Deltas, but our budget won't allow that (of course, I may have to get one just for me...).

I need something that will allow you to work both soft glass and hard glass, and will give both a small flame and a somewhat large and hot flame. They will be running on propane and liquid oxygen.

Here are my thoughts so far, but I'm open to suggestion (which is the whole purpose of this thread...):

1. Nortel Midrange Plus/Major Plus/Red Max - has a good sized flame on the bottom, but has a Minor on top, so it will allow you to work large or small stuff, and for our beginning classes the top flame is the same size as the 4 torches we already have.

2. Carlisle Wildcat - I haven't had a chance to use one yet, but apparently it is capable of flame sizes from pinpoint to about 3/4" wide. Looks like a very nice torch from what I've seen.

3. GTT Lynx - Again, I've never used one, but they are very popular.

4. Bethlehem Barracuda - Has been recommended by someone whose work I really admire, so that gives it some merit. But, again, I have never used one.

As for price, I'm looking to stay in the $500-600 range per torch, but I'm a little flexible on that. So, anyone who has used any of those torches (or if you want to suggest something that isn't on the list), please let me know what you like and what you dislike about them. Thanks in advance for any input...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2005-11-08, 9:06am
Safety ALWAYS

I've just replaced *ALL* the minors in my studio with Piranha's. I used a Barracuda for almost a year and am now on a Tiger Shark.

I'd STRONGLY recommend the Barracuda.

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
Old 2005-11-08, 9:19am
ManBearPig

Cool. Thanks. I may have to look into them. I think I'm going to go ahead an get one for myself and see from there.

Old 2005-11-08, 9:35am
Hole Challenged

I use a Lynx and love it for the type of work I do. GTT came out with the Cheetah a little after I purchased my torch and had it been available at the time I may have bought that one instead. I do tiny sculptural work and am always adjusting the second oxy knob to get a super tight flame as needed.

That being said, I have to admit that I have been looking at the Barracuda lately.

Melodie
Old 2005-11-08, 9:36am
Safety ALWAYS

What did it for me was a class I taught a few months back. We were short one minor so I had the student use only the inner fire on the barracuda (which is the Piranha). This student was consistently working larger than she'd ever done before, and towards the end of the class I had her switch over to a minor and attempt the same work. Couldn't do it. The flame, with the exact same propane and oxygen pressures simply was not the same, nowhere near as focused or as hot.

I got the first Piranha in a month ago and I sat down to use it side by side with a minor. Using boro, I was able to "burn off" a 16 mm rod very quickly with the Piranha (around 30 to 45 seconds). The minor took several minutes to do the same thing. Fuel and oxygen pressures were the same (all running on the same supply line), and the flame length on both torches was identical.

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
Old 2005-11-08, 10:06am
I'm a lilac!

I love love love my Barracuda; the radiant heat gives me the ability to work BIG just using the inner fire, and I would have to say, based on that, that you could probably get by with just Piranhas. OTOH, I had a chance to try a Wildcat this summer, and I was really impressed with the heat and the flame variability; a very sweet little torch!

Old 2005-11-08, 10:37am
ManBearPig

I'm going up the Carlisle school in a month or so, so hopefully I'll be able to try a Wildcat then. I'm asking around to see if anyone locally has a Pirhana or Barracuda that I can try.

So, if any of you in VA or NC have one you wouldn't mind me coming over and trying, speak up!

Old 2005-11-08, 11:52am

Hey Chad,
I have a Great White and a PM2D set up here if you would like to come check them out. The center fire of these is the same on the Barracuda and Tiger Shark (the Piranha).

I have worked on all of the Bethlehem torches and LOVE them all.

I'm in Kenly, NC and you are more than welcome to come by.