LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Old 2005-12-13, 7:45pm
Forever Grateful Beads

Default Help me pick a new torch

So I might get a new torch for Christmas. I say might, because I've been wanting to for a long time and never make up my mind. There are so many to choose from, I just can't choose. I thought, what better place to ask about torches than here?

Right now, I have a minor, and here's what I'm looking for...

Something that will still allow me to make beads, but a larger flame to make my drawer-pulls/knobs and perfume bottles easier. Maybe sometime down the road try my hand at paperweights and goblets.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Amy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2005-12-13, 7:50pm
ManBearPig

Without knowing the potential budget, it's hard to say.

Here are a few options...

Nortel Mid Range Plus/Major Plus/Red Max Plus - bigger flame on bottom with a Minor on top. Not a lot of difference between the Mid and Major, but a big step up to the Red Max.

Bethlehem Barracuda - Center fire, which makes things nicer, and a nice big flame.

GTT Cheetah - GTT... what else can I say? Of course, they can be hard to come by.

Carlisle Wildcat - Nice big flame, but can do a small flame too. Great price.

Old 2005-12-13, 7:54pm
boro color bender

I second the Cuda... I may be trading in my Mirage for a cuda and a generator. it really all depends on what your needs are. Oxygen is a biggie when your choosing torches. What O2 supply do you have?

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2005-12-13, 7:58pm
Forever Grateful Beads

Thanks Chad and Brent.

Right now I have a couple of 251c tanks of oxygen. I didn't realize you could even use a oxy generator with a barracuda.

I'd love to hear more...

Thanks!

Old 2005-12-13, 8:05pm
PELE

Hey Amy!

I love my Barracuda! I run it with an Integra 10 oxy concentrator (10 lpm) from Paulette. Love it!

lynne

Old 2005-12-13, 8:53pm
Boldly going

I had a Minor and moved to a GTT Lynx 8 months ago. I use two concentrators to power it. I may step up to one of those 10 LPM concentrators that Generations Glass and ABR are selling. The Lynx is wonderful. Great flame control and very quiet. I do boro marbles up to 1.5 inch with it.

Many of life's failures are experienced by people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up. - Thomas Edison

|
|
|
Old 2005-12-13, 11:29pm

Amy, I upgraded from a minor and now own a Dragon Bullet 7/14. It is awesome and I can do anything I want. Very similiar to a Barracuda and in the same price range. I can make beads, marbles and goblets... I am so in love with it. It is quiet, too. Kimberly has used it and was impressed.

Old 2005-12-15, 7:22am
Forever Grateful Beads

Thanks so much for taking the time to post about this. I really appreciate the info I have now.

Kay, thank you very, very much for e-mailing about the Bullet. I'm very interested in that and the barracuda.

I do have a question though (if anyone's still reading this thread)...

According to the specs on the different torches, you can do up to a 1" bead/sculpture, and on the Barracuda you can do "up to 1 1/2".

Why do I want to spend $800+ on a toprch for 1/2" more of glass? Are the specs on the conservative side? It sounded like those who tried the Bullet thought that you could work larger pieces. What do you think?

Thanks!
Amy

Old 2005-12-15, 10:43am
ManBearPig

Well, theoretically you can do any size on any torch with enough patience. I regularly work 2" boro marbles on my Midrange, but it takes a while.

The Barracuda is a bigger and (in my opinion) nicer torch. Plus, if you are paying $800 for one, you aren't shopping at the right place. You can find them for $670-680 all day long.

Old 2005-12-15, 10:51am
I'm a lilac!

If you're talking about marble dimensions, 1/2" is a huge difference. A 1-1/2" marble is more than twice as much glass as a 1" marble. For that matter, you can definitely work a lot bigger than that on a Barracuda, especially with soft glass! Probably on a Bullet Burner too.

I love my 'cuda for so so many reasons, not least of which is the performance at low pressures. I haven't tried it on natural gas yet, but I will - I have no idea how that will work but I suspect nicely. I run mine on 2 ordinary concentrators, and the performance is great for what I do; a lot of smallish boro work. It's a hot torch. I use the center fire for small soft glass beads and turn on the outer ring to melt larger amounts or to do boro.

Never running out of oxygen was a huge consideration for me. I like having that endless source!

Old 2005-12-15, 2:46pm

Amy, not sure what info you read and where. The Cuda can melt 1 1/2" solid boro rod...... would have been the statement, not "makes a 1 1/2" bead". Rocio made a 2 1/2" lentil on the Bullet without running the torch past 50% of it's ability. I am using the Cuda as the sample here, but the Bullet is the same power, just a dif flame type. So it would also do the following. The first test on the Cuda, was it's mass melting ability. It melted 1" thick solid boro rod into a 2" marble in 7 minutes. (That's FAST). The other test was to melt the more challenging, easy to boil boro colors and sculpt something using these colors on the outside, not encased. It didn't boil the colors. Third test was the flame property on dichro, making pendants using 2mm boro dichro stringer. The 2mm dichro stringer is the easiest to burn out. It did it no problem. Then, it comes to working size. This one is harder beacause an artists working style has EVERYTHING to do with it. The focus is there to any detail work, yet you could make a 20" vase or goblet if you wanted. All in all, the Cuda/Bullet size torch fits most lampworkers. Even the artists who make BIG stuff, 90% of their flame time is going to be aroung the Cuda size flame. Hope this info helps some.
Old 2005-12-15, 3:46pm
Forever Grateful Beads

Thanks again for all the info guys.

Quote:
Amy, not sure what info you read and where. The Cuda can melt 1 1/2" solid boro rod...... would have been the statement, not "makes a 1 1/2" bead".
I'm glad you said that, because I re-read it (I saw it on the Arrow Springs site), and it did say, "Work soft glass up to 1 1/2" in diamter", and I was thinking "beads", not "rods" like you said. So that's a relief.

It looks like I'll want to give both a try. Kay was nice enough to invite me over to try hers, and maybe I'll take a littl road trip down to Shelton to visit Mike Frantz too for the Barracuda. Both sound like great torches.

Thanks again!

Old 2005-12-16, 9:01am

Both are good torches..... You'll be happy with which ever one you pick up.
Happy Holidays!!!
Ron Jr. and Rocio
Old 2005-12-16, 1:10pm
Floral Obsessed

Out of pure curiousity - Ron Jr., how would you describe the difference in flame type (as opposed to power) between the Bullet/Little Dragon and the Cuda/Piranha? Thanks! -H.
Old 2005-12-16, 2:07pm

Hi'

I'm in the same spot as Amy...I work on a lynx with a large tank of oxygen but want to upgrade to a larger torch with the capability of a larger, bushier flame...Unfortunately, I live in the midwest with no way to try the different torches. I have gotten my choices down to one of these two, so I'd like to hear what owners say about these to help me make my choice. I am just getting into sculpting small boro pieces, and I love blowing moretti.........

Thanks!
Deborah
Old 2005-12-17, 9:19am

Another thing to consider....
The Bullet has the capabilities of adding a foot or separate hand control which the Barracuda does not. My husband just got the necessary hardward to do this for me.. Should save on some oxygen, I am hoping..
That was my case for consideration over the cuda ...though I have heard so much about the Barracuda since it seems to be the most popular, it was almost my first choice.
Amy, you are most welcome at any time. And congratulations on the Xmas upgrade. You will be most pleased no matter what you choose, I am sure.

Old 2005-12-17, 10:56am
CA Queen Bitch

I love my Baracuda!!!!

Being unstable and bitchy is all part of my mystique.

Peek A Boo!
Old 2005-12-19, 9:40am
Back at the day job

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalera
I run mine on 2 ordinary concentrators, and the performance is great for what I do; a lot of smallish boro work. It's a hot torch.
I've also been looking at upgrading, and have been holding off because I thought I'd have to switch from my 2 oxycons to tanked oxy.

Good to know the Barracuda will run this way, as it's the one I'm interested in. Thanks for the info!