LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2006-06-22, 4:35pm
Dangerous Woman

I love raku. I'm on a HH and get tons of different effects. From purple to a kinda fushia to a metalic oil in a puddle color. Yesterday I actually got a dot that looked like a mirror. Super shiny silver color. I just love this stuff! And don't let anyone say you can't get good results on a HH!

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2006-06-24, 6:10am
Formerly Fireflyartglass

I have always wondered this... I see twisties all the time and raku with clear dots on it....Can you make a twistie with black moretti and raku and not have compatibility problems with it??? I have reichenbach clear (and isn't it runny!!! you don't even need to really put it in the flame once you get going just the heat of it keeps it going when encasing!!) so if I were to make a bead and then put raku raised flowers on it would I then put moretti clear on top or reichenbach? and could the base bead be made out of moretti?
My main question as above though was can I make a moretti black/ reichenbach raku twistie without problems??
Old 2006-06-25, 12:37pm

Default My raku experiments

Ok, be aware that these have not been annealed. I just made them last night and my stuff gets batch annealed by someone else.

Some of this is #1 size and some is #00 size. It's interesting how it does different things on different colors. The one that turned all grey- I'll let you know if it changes after it is annealed.

Cheryl

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-07-01, 8:16pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

grrrrr...... I am frustrated. After making small test bead after smalltest bead today, I went back and re-read this entire thread. When I marver after superheating, it is not turning black - it merely turns back to pretty much the original color. I see the potential in one or two dots on each bead, but I am not getting any color change. I have not tried encasing, but it seems to me that if it is tan when I encase, it's not going to change under the clear.

I did pull some stringers today and will try the dot thing tomorrow - too annoyed to try tonight!

Sigrid
Old 2006-07-01, 11:08pm
Mmmmm....Raku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireflyartglass
I have always wondered this... I see twisties all the time and raku with clear dots on it....Can you make a twistie with black moretti and raku and not have compatibility problems with it??? I have reichenbach clear (and isn't it runny!!! you don't even need to really put it in the flame once you get going just the heat of it keeps it going when encasing!!) so if I were to make a bead and then put raku raised flowers on it would I then put moretti clear on top or reichenbach? and could the base bead be made out of moretti?
My main question as above though was can I make a moretti black/ reichenbach raku twistie without problems??
Hi Firefly,

To answer your main question, yes, you can use Moretti Black and raku to make a twistie stringer. I prefer to use Intense Black. The regular black will look purple or blue when you make twistie out of it. Because you're only using little stripes of black, it will not cause a problem.

To address the other questions..... If you use moretti, and raku stringer or frit, you should encase with Moretti, Vetrofond or Lauscha. You want your encasing to match the COE of the base bead, and as long as the raku is used sparingly, there shouldn't be any problems with your bead cracking. Now....on the other hand, if you use a pure raku base bead, you want to encase with your Reichenbach or another compatible glass.

Hope this helps.

Nortel Minor with one Concentrator
Old 2006-07-01, 11:13pm
Mmmmm....Raku

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherylsart
Ok, be aware that these have not been annealed. I just made them last night and my stuff gets batch annealed by someone else.
Some of this is #1 size and some is #00 size. It's interesting how it does different things on different colors. The one that turned all grey- I'll let you know if it changes after it is annealed.

Cheryl
Pretty beads Cheryl! Oooooo....that size #00 would make a great sandy shore on a beach bead!

Old 2006-07-01, 11:29pm
Mmmmm....Raku

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid
grrrrr...... I am frustrated. After making small test bead after smalltest bead today, I went back and re-read this entire thread. When I marver after superheating, it is not turning black - it merely turns back to pretty much the original color. I see the potential in one or two dots on each bead, but I am not getting any color change. I have not tried encasing, but it seems to me that if it is tan when I encase, it's not going to change under the clear.

I did pull some stringers today and will try the dot thing tomorrow - too annoyed to try tonight!

Sigrid
Hi Sigrid,

You're right...if it's tan before you encase it, it will stay tan. You really want to turn the raku black before you encase to get those great blues and purples.

Are you using an oxygen / propane torch or a hot head?

Look at these beads below and don't pay attention to the silvered ivory side. I made a small black barrel and threaded some raku stringer on one half of the bead. I melted it in, then let the bead cool just until it lost it's glow. Then I stuck it in the flame about an inch and a half away from the face of the torch in a neutral flame and rotated it about 3 or 4 times to get it that super white hot. Then gently marvered it and chilled it back in shape. At this point I could not see the raku at all. It was totally black. Then I encased it. Give this a try and let me know how you make out. I know it can be frustrating until it "clicks" but once it clicks, you'll be hooked!

Old 2006-07-02, 5:10am
Insane? You're Insane!

If I am making stringer from frit, what color should it be when I am finished pulling it? Right now I have a few that are greenish, brown. When I put them on the bead, and do the whole raku dance, will it turn the "right" colors?
Old 2006-07-02, 8:35am
Mmmmm....Raku

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberbryant1
If I am making stringer from frit, what color should it be when I am finished pulling it? Right now I have a few that are greenish, brown. When I put them on the bead, and do the whole raku dance, will it turn the "right" colors?
Hi Amber,

When you pull stringer from frit, or from cane for that matter, it will vary in color, but mostly shades of brown. Greenish brown, redish brown, etc. And it doesn't matter what color the stringers are. A light tan stringer is capable of doing the same thing as a reddish brown one once it's applied to the bead. It won't do it's magic until you put it on the bead and make it dance.
Good luck, have fun, and remember to show us your beads!

Old 2006-07-02, 8:40am
Mmmmm....Raku

Quote:
Originally Posted by playswithfire104
I love raku. I'm on a HH and get tons of different effects. From purple to a kinda fushia to a metalic oil in a puddle color. Yesterday I actually got a dot that looked like a mirror. Super shiny silver color. I just love this stuff! And don't let anyone say you can't get good results on a HH!
That's very good news! And since this thread is all about raku, maybe you could post some pictures of your raku beads to help encourage others who are on Hotheads. I would love to see them!

Old 2006-07-02, 9:20am
Insane? You're Insane!

Thanks Dawn!

I told my husband a while back that I hope you get the Rakooties! I am very envious of your beads and talent! I guess I'll have to send you some Rakootie spray to get rid of them! I haven't said cooties since the 6th grade!!! LOL
Old 2006-07-02, 9:39am
Mmmmm....Raku

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberbryant1
Thanks Dawn!

I told my husband a while back that I hope you get the Rakooties! I am very envious of your beads and talent! I guess I'll have to send you some Rakootie spray to get rid of them! I haven't said cooties since the 6th grade!!! LOL
Well thanks Amber!.....I think....
Although I've never had someone wish the Rakooties on me, I guess that wouldn't be such a bad thing to have!

Old 2006-07-02, 10:06am
Passion for Beads

Thank you, thank you!!

I am gonna try immediate.
Old 2006-07-02, 12:46pm
CA Queen Bitch

Dawn!! I could look at those beads all day! They are so beautiful!!

~Me~

Being unstable and bitchy is all part of my mystique.

Peek A Boo!
Old 2006-07-02, 3:53pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Hi Sigrid,

You're right...if it's tan before you encase it, it will stay tan. You really want to turn the raku black before you encase to get those great blues and purples.

Are you using an oxygen / propane torch or a hot head?

Look at these beads below and don't pay attention to the silvered ivory side. I made a small black barrel and threaded some raku stringer on one half of the bead. I melted it in, then let the bead cool just until it lost it's glow. Then I stuck it in the flame about an inch and a half away from the face of the torch in a neutral flame and rotated it about 3 or 4 times to get it that super white hot. Then gently marvered it and chilled it back in shape. At this point I could not see the raku at all. It was totally black. Then I encased it. Give this a try and let me know how you make out. I know it can be frustrating until it "clicks" but once it clicks, you'll be hooked!
Hi Dawn,

I could just kiss you - or at least buy you a frosty beverage! I went back to the torch this afternoon and tried again based on your suggestions above. My mistake was in not getting the raku hot enough before cooling it. Essentially you have to get it as hot as the center of the sun! I had good success with three crappy test beads in a row and saw the "turning black" that you referred to. The only bead I had trouble with is one on which I wound a stringer. I just could not seem to get that one hot enough. I tried three or four times and think I may have just scorched that one. We'll see.

One more question if I may - is it ok to keep trying to reheat and cool if you don't get it the first/secod/third time?

Thanks so much for your persistent help!

Sigrid
Old 2006-07-02, 4:44pm
Mmmmm....Raku

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid
Hi Dawn,

I could just kiss you - or at least buy you a frosty beverage! I went back to the torch this afternoon and tried again based on your suggestions above. My mistake was in not getting the raku hot enough before cooling it. Essentially you have to get it as hot as the center of the sun! I had good success with three crappy test beads in a row and saw the "turning black" that you referred to. The only bead I had trouble with is one on which I wound a stringer. I just could not seem to get that one hot enough. I tried three or four times and think I may have just scorched that one. We'll see.

One more question if I may - is it ok to keep trying to reheat and cool if you don't get it the first/secod/third time?

Thanks so much for your persistent help!

Sigrid
Woohoo! That's great news!!!

And yes, I've had to reheat / re-chill a bead before. Just let it cool a bit before the second try. I would think after many tries, it's possible to burn all the color out of it, but a second or third try shouldn't hurt anything.

Old 2006-07-02, 4:47pm
Mmmmm....Raku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhapsody Fire Beads
Dawn!! I could look at those beads all day! They are so beautiful!!

~Me~
Awww!! Thanks so much, Suzy!
I feel the exact same way about your beads!

Old 2006-07-02, 11:08pm

I think we can all agree that you are the Queen of Raku, Dawn! I did have fun experimenting with it but I don't see it becoming an addiction. I do enjoy working with frit though. It's too early yet for me to know what my favorite techniques will be. I'm just making beads, experimenting and allowing my style to make itself known.

Cheryl

Old 2006-07-06, 5:45pm
Made in the Shade

Thumbs up

Thanks a million Dawn. I am having so much fun with the Raku now. I was afraid to use before because I knew I was stretching it to its full potential!

But thanks to you. I did it. Check them out in my ebay.

Last edited by tajones1463; 2006-07-06 at 5:47pm. Reason: oops, my link didn't post
Old 2006-07-06, 6:06pm
Mmmmm....Raku

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherylsart
I think we can all agree that you are the Queen of Raku, Dawn! I did have fun experimenting with it but I don't see it becoming an addiction. I do enjoy working with frit though. It's too early yet for me to know what my favorite techniques will be. I'm just making beads, experimenting and allowing my style to make itself known.

Cheryl
Thanks Cheryl!....You crack me up!....The Queen of Raku...LOL!!!
By the way, I love your new avatar! Looks like my Jamaica.

Old 2006-07-06, 6:09pm
Mmmmm....Raku

Quote:
Originally Posted by tajones1463
Thanks a million Dawn. I am having so much fun with the Raku now. I was afraid to use before because I knew I was stretching it to its full potential!

But thanks to you. I did it. Check them out in my ebay.
Wow Teresa! Those beads are gorgeous!!!
I'm so glad some of the tips here helped, and that was so nice of you to mention me in your auction. Thanks!

Old 2006-07-21, 10:33pm
Lost & confused

I'm not sure if this has already been posted, but I thought I'd add something here that I've just discovered.. I've been making raku twisties, using black as the base, then swiping raku on either side. When I've used the twisties, I've had a bit of a 'hit and miss' affair with getting the colors to develop.. however, yesterday I thought about what you said Dawn about how it's easier to get raku to do its thing IF you encase it.. so, that's what I did with the twistie.. I encased the whole thing with clear and THEN twisted it. I found yesterday that the beads I made with this encased raku twistie were developing color MUCH easier. Of course, tomorrow I might try again and it may not work LOL.. but, so far I'm really pleased with the results.. thanks for the tip about encasing Dawn!

Cheers,
Sue

Old 2006-07-23, 5:12pm
texasnana

I am a very new newbie. When you talk about the raku---is it the same as the reduction frit? I have been trying that but all I get is splotches and black. Not very pretty!!
Old 2006-07-23, 10:38pm
Mmmmm....Raku

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2catsdesigns
I'm not sure if this has already been posted, but I thought I'd add something here that I've just discovered.. I've been making raku twisties, using black as the base, then swiping raku on either side. When I've used the twisties, I've had a bit of a 'hit and miss' affair with getting the colors to develop.. however, yesterday I thought about what you said Dawn about how it's easier to get raku to do its thing IF you encase it.. so, that's what I did with the twistie.. I encased the whole thing with clear and THEN twisted it. I found yesterday that the beads I made with this encased raku twistie were developing color MUCH easier. Of course, tomorrow I might try again and it may not work LOL.. but, so far I'm really pleased with the results.. thanks for the tip about encasing Dawn!

Cheers,
Sue
Hey Sue, that sounds like a cool idea! I think I may just have to give that a try! Thanks! I especially like the idea because I've avoided using my regular raku twisties on top of certain colors of glass because of unwanted reactions, but if it's encased, that shouldn't be a problem. Ooooo my mind is spinning now!....LOL!

Old 2006-07-23, 10:50pm
Mmmmm....Raku

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasnana
I am a very new newbie. When you talk about the raku---is it the same as the reduction frit? I have been trying that but all I get is splotches and black. Not very pretty!!
Hi Very New Newbie!
Raku is a reduction glass, which means that it has a high metal content. There are lots of other colors of reduction frit / glass, but the one refered to as "Raku" is actually Opaque Iris Orange, made by Reichenbach, and the number for it is R-108. To get the different colors to show up, it needs to be worked in a neutral to oxygen rich flame. Working Raku in a "reduction" flame, which is rich in propane, can cause it to turn dark and have a very silvery shine on the surface.
If you still have no luck, go back to the very first post in this thread and try the tips I gave for the rainbow dots and see how that works out for you. Then, the more you work with it, the better you will get.

Old 2006-08-28, 4:57pm

Question some help for a newbie please

I have been trying out some raku (r10 frit and then encasing them to try ro get colors but it is not working well. First off I am using a HH torch, I make my bead, roll in frit, lightly melt it in, spot heat it till it's very hot, then rub with an iced ss knife.....my frit is not turning black but silver very metallic. After I encase some stays silver, some goes back to tanish with very faint hints of color. Any suggestions as to where I am going wrong???
Thanks in advance,
Little Cybil
Melissa
Old 2006-08-28, 5:43pm
koregon

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecybil
I have been trying out some raku (r10 frit and then encasing them to try ro get colors but it is not working well. First off I am using a HH torch, I make my bead, roll in frit, lightly melt it in, spot heat it till it's very hot, then rub with an iced ss knife.....my frit is not turning black but silver very metallic. After I encase some stays silver, some goes back to tanish with very faint hints of color. Any suggestions as to where I am going wrong???

Thanks in advance,

Little Cybil

Melissa
well I dont melt mine in softly I heat the bejeabers out of it.

I dont encase mine thou...but I get a lot of color just using frit and using high heats.

never softly with raku thou...blare the heat on that baby

Old 2006-09-07, 7:13pm
Crazy Snake Lady

My raku is turning white!!!??? I'm on a Hot Head. What am I doing wrong?
Old 2006-09-08, 6:02am

Are you sure you've got R-108? I've seen R-106 (sometimes called "dark raku") turn white when over heated, but not R-108.
Old 2006-09-08, 8:26am
Crazy Snake Lady

Yup - that's what it is. Thanks! I'll get some R-108 and see if I can keep from heating the bejeezus out of it.