Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-04-07, 7:06pm

Default Use for burns

Not sure if anyone had ever tried this but as many little burns as I get I thought I would pass this on.

> Why did we never hear of this before??!! I've always just run it under the cold water tap.
>
> A woman's experience with burns . . .
>
> Some time ago I was cooking some corn and stuck my fork in the boiling water to see if the corn was ready. I missed and my hand went into the boiling water.... A friend of mine, who was a Vietnam vet, came into the house, just as I was screaming, and asked me if I had some plain old flour... I pulled out a bag and he stuck my hand in it. He told me to keep my hand in the flour for 10 minutes which I did. He said that in Vietnam, there was a guy on fire and in their panic, they threw a bag of flour all over him to put the fire out...Well, it not only put the fire out, but he never even had a blister!!!!
>
> ... Long story short, I put my hand in the bag of flour for 10 mins, pulled it out and did not even have a red mark or a blister and absolutely NO PAIN. Now, I keep a bag of flour in the fridge and every time I burn myself. *Cold flour feels even better than room temperature flour.

I use the flour and have never ONCE had I ever had even a red spot/burn mark, or a blister! I even burnt my tongue once, put the flour on it for about 10 minutes ... the pain was gone and no burn.

Try it . . . Experience a miracle! Keep a bag of flour in your fridge and you will be happy you did!

Don't run your burn area under cold water first, just put it directly into the flour for 10 minutes.
Old 2011-04-07, 7:15pm
Oinky Oink!

Wow..
I better try this next time...
I usually cut off a aloe vera plant and rub gel all over and this seems to really help.
But I will definitely try flour.
Thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Christy
Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken. ~Oscar Wilde
Old 2011-04-07, 7:40pm
Mr Brutus RIP

Geez, I got a bad sunburn this week, I'm not above lying in flour for 10 minutes.......wish I had known this sooner but better late than never. Thanks for sharing!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2011-04-07, 7:48pm
Ex-lurker

Sounds like a good one to try. I sure hope I remember!

"Life is a journey - travel it well"
Old 2011-04-07, 7:55pm
maybe tomorrow

I'd love it if this was true, but I checked Snopes, and it looks like it isn't. Sorry.

Old 2011-04-07, 8:09pm

For sunburns use distilled vinegar poured over ice in a clean bowl. Take clean washcloth and dip into the distilled vinegar. Wring the washcloth out over the vinegar bowl, you want the washcloth fairly damp. Lay the cloth over the sunburn , it helps to draw the heat out of the sunburn. Its going to be cold so be prepared. But it does ease the burn.Continue doing so till the heat from the burn is less. I sometimes use two washclothes , trading them out.It helps alot. Then put rose water and glycerin on the burn, afterwards.It helps alot. This is what the Medical Dr had me to do for mine. We have used this for years.
Janet C
Old 2011-04-07, 8:37pm
Cat herder

I've used cider vinegar for sunburns.

No fancy signature yet.
Old 2011-04-08, 5:57am
lurking on LE since 2005

I keep this around and it really does work on those burns you get when glass flings atcha. Pat is a fun person, a good gal with a good product, and a small jar goes a long way. not trying to be a commercial for her, just fact. I have a jar on my workbench always.

http://www.beadsbyfrance.com/catalog.php?category=3

J-55

Check out my Encasing and HOLLOW tri-color Tutorials in my Etsy shop-and my NEW encased, layered, feathered bead!

Old 2011-04-08, 8:34am

Vinegar does work great for sunburns! Take it from a girl who got sunburned alot as a kid. You smell like a pickle but if it works!!!

For when I burn myself at the torch, kitchen or wherever - I keep a small bottle of Tea Tree Oil near my bench and in my kitchen.
Works like a charm!!! Takes the burn right out!

Kristy
Old 2011-04-08, 10:53am
Ad astra per aspera

BTW, do not EVER throw flour on an open flame!!!! It burns quite vigorously. Old silos have been known to explode from lightning hits because of all the suspended particles.

Old 2011-04-08, 1:24pm
Bead maker and bead buyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmaine View Post
I keep this around and it really does work on those burns you get when glass flings atcha. Pat is a fun person, a good gal with a good product, and a small jar goes a long way. not trying to be a commercial for her, just fact. I have a jar on my workbench always.

http://www.beadsbyfrance.com/catalog.php?category=3
Thanks so much for posting this. I was going to ask, because I remember someone mentioning this before, and then saw you already answered my question!

I need to get two jars - one for the studio and one for home for when I get little burns from the oven.
Old 2011-04-08, 5:41pm

I read the heading as something your burns could be used for.

I sell at a very busy market & am often asked do I burn myself. If I do have a burn I always show it & I get asked which bead I was making at the time. Often that is the bead the customer buys.. Beads with stories I guess.

Kerry
Old 2011-04-13, 4:36pm

I use vitamin c from the Body Shop for most burns, and if I can, I put honey on top. Honey helps add moisture as well as seals the wound and is a natural antibacterial.

Dori

Well behaved women seldom make history ~ Laura Thatcher Ulrich
Old 2011-04-13, 5:13pm
Triumphantly Knit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fawnheights View Post
I use vitamin c from the Body Shop for most burns, and if I can, I put honey on top. Honey helps add moisture as well as seals the wound and is a natural antibacterial.
vitamin c is a great anti oxidant topically.

honey must be raw unheated uncooked honey. heating honey and exposing it to too much light destroys the enzyme that allows honey to make hydrogen peroxide, the antibacterial property.

Honey is great for all kinds of wounds. sticky but effective.

I got second degree burns once from steam, the teapot lid came off while I was pouring and the shock had me frozen.
After the er treatment I did everything opposite they said. they said do not get it wet while bathing. I thought that makes no sense. If a burn dries, I want my skin moist. I used organic lavender essential oil, I kept it moisturized, I used organic aloe, I excercised the fingers, I popped the blister.
(the thing is to avoid infection which I did with the essential oils and coconut oil also unheated organic is antibacterial, olive oil is antisceptic as well.)
I have NO scars. you cannot tell I was ever burned.

I am not giving medical advice. I am telling my experience. the above referenced burn remedy has a fantastic reputation.
also taking vit c orally in extra amounts helps because vit c works on the skin even when taken internally.

and ICE. the colder the faster stops the burning tissue, if no ice cold water.

"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"

"Only from the heart can you touch the sky"

"Be kind whenever possible.It is always possible
Old 2011-04-14, 6:55pm
Run Free Sweet Boy

I use emu oil on a closed burn and after the skin starts to reform, for an open weepy burn I use honey... bacteria will not grow in honey.

"It's not what you have, it's who you are."
Old 2011-04-14, 8:20pm
SCIENCE Teacher!

Talk to your doc. Mine gave me a script for silvadene. Great stuff!
Old 2011-04-29, 8:10am

Use this:

http://www.allmed.net/catalog/item/2623

It's called Burn Gel from Watergel. This stuff is the bomdiggity. I use it on everything from sunburns to contact burns. They even have varying types for varying degrees of burns.

Here are the dressings for more severe burns: http://www.allmed.net/catalog/item/1,2497,2613,2622
Old 2011-04-29, 10:57am
More glass...more glass..

This is an urban legend...

http://urbanlegends.about.com/b/2011...urn-remedy.htm

edz

( Nothing available right now )

(Nothing available right now)
Old 2011-04-29, 6:56pm
Bead semi-newbie

i put tea tree oil on one that had broken open and it healed up nicely
Old 2011-04-29, 11:37pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by FosterFire View Post
I stocked up on this when I visited Mexico recently (no script required there). I am hoping I won't get to prove how great it is any time soon! Glad to have it in hand in the event that I need it though
Old 2011-04-30, 3:51pm

Didn't Lynda use the flour method personally? How reliable are sites like Snopes?

Minor
Old 2011-04-30, 4:35pm
Detail G-Mama!

Here I was thinking I was gonna end up looking like the Pillsbury doughboy with as many burns as I've been getting lately!!

Old 2011-04-30, 5:11pm

Silvadene is wonderful for burns. Hubby used to work for Copper refinery here, and when the liquid copper would splatter and anyone got burned, their Medical Dept used that on them to stop the burn from cooking the skin anymore and to easy the pain.
I've used it too. Its great for sunburns that blister.
Janet C.
Old 2011-04-30, 7:36pm
Formerly NurseKatie :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FosterFire View Post
Silvadene is great, and does require an Rx. More importantly, it contains Sulfa, so if you are allergic to Sulfa, not a good choice to use. If you do get a script for it, keep it in the fridge, it feels even better when it is cold!
Old 2011-05-03, 8:33pm

Thanks, Lynda. When I typed my first msg the other day, I had a couple of fingers in some flour cooling off. It did work. I love home remedies that work. The blister that started to form went away very quickly.

Thanks slagain for the info. Aloe is usually my number 1 choice but this one surprised ne.

Minor
Old 2011-05-27, 9:29pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyndaW View Post
Not sure if anyone had ever tried this but as many little burns as I get I thought I would pass this on.

> Why did we never hear of this before??!! I've always just run it under the cold water tap.
>
>
> Some time ago I was cooking some corn and stuck my fork in the boiling water to see if the corn was ready. I missed and my hand went into the boiling water.... A friend of mine, who was a Vietnam vet, came into the house, just as I was screaming, and asked me if I had some plain old flour... I pulled out a bag and he stuck my hand in it. He told me to keep my hand in the flour for 10 minutes which I did. He said that in Vietnam, there was a guy on fire and in their panic, they threw a bag of flour all over him to put the fire out...Well, it not only put the fire out, but he never even had a blister!!!!
>
> ... Long story short, I put my hand in the bag of flour for 10 mins, pulled it out and did not even have a red mark or a blister and absolutely NO PAIN. Now, I keep a bag of flour in the fridge and every time I burn myself. *Cold flour feels even better than room temperature flour.

I use the flour and have never ONCE had I ever had even a red spot/burn mark, or a blister! I even burnt my tongue once, put the flour on it for about 10 minutes ... the pain was gone and no burn.

Try it . . . Experience a miracle! Keep a bag of flour in your fridge and you will be happy you did!

Don't run your burn area under cold water first, just put it directly into the flour for 10 minutes.
Wow I'm definitely going to try this. I have only been torching for about 4 months and so far I put a big burn on my hand when I reached in front of a lit torch...ouch, and the tip of my index finger when a hot...did I say hot...I meant HOT mandrel started coming out of the kiln when I added my next bead.

I love to bake so there is always flour in my house...do you think if I use whole wheat it will add some fiber to my diet too???

Lanford BeadWorks
Old 2011-05-28, 7:30am

green papaya (pawpaw) ointment. Good for lots of things. No added sulfates. I use the skin moisturiser and face cream everyday. My hands are wonderful now compared to a couple of weeks ago when I had eczema from allergies. I love this stuff.

http://www.mcarthurnaturalproducts.com/faqs
Old 2011-06-01, 7:19pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyndaW View Post

>
>
>

I tried this today and my gosh...it really works. Burned the tip of my index finger in the torch and the nail too. I remembered this post and went into the kitchen and pulled out a bag of bread flour I keep in the refrigerator. Put some in a deep bowl and stuck my finger in the bowl for 10 minutes. Who knew? A little tenderness around the nail area almost like a callus, but no blistering or anything. I will keep a dish of flour next to me whenever I am torching going forward.

Thanks for the tip.

Lanford BeadWorks

Last edited by Jo Ann; 2011-06-01 at 7:19pm. Reason: misspelling
Old 2011-06-01, 10:50pm
Silver Hogs/Tool Junkies

Effective first aid begins with stopping the burning process; otherwise, the affected flesh continues to cook, further damaging the injured area. For this reason, the recommended action is to immediately immerse the burned area in cool water or under gently running cool water for a minimum of five minutes. Doing so halts the burning process, numbs the pain, and prevents or reduces swelling. If the injury cannot be immersed or positioned under a faucet, cool water is to be poured over it for the same amount of time. Never use ice on burns.

Only after the wound has been effectively cooled should the injured area be dried off, then dressed with a clean bandage. (Bandaging can be omitted when the injury is small and there is no break in the skin.) Neither butter nor oil should ever be applied to any burn, although once the wound has been properly cooled and dried, antibiotic ointments or aloe vera gel could be applied before dressing the area.

Because cooling the wound is of paramount importance, sticking a burned hand into a sack of flour would be a mistake, whether the flour has been refrigerated or not. The highest priority is to get the temperature of the injured area back down to normal, and this is not accomplished by cocooning the wound within a substance that will effectively hold the heat in place. (Similarly, salves and ointments are not applied to burns until the wounded area has fully cooled, because otherwise that which is intended to heal will instead trap the heat within the flesh, thereby allowing further damage to take place. SNOPES

Jack

Old 2011-06-02, 12:41am
Unmedicated since '62

The best thing for sunburn is strong cold black tea applied liberally, the tannic acid acts as an anesthetic - I put it in a spray bottle and just keep spraying it on as it dries

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy

Last edited by PerfectDeb; 2011-06-02 at 12:52am.