No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2005-10-22, 6:53pm
Rose colored glasses…√

Default Galaxy Bead!?!?!?

Okay, I have waited so patiently for someone to offer up the how to's...and I just can't take it anymore! Please, oh please, oh please, will someone share with me? I really want to try to make a set of "galaxy beads" as a birthday gift for a friend of mine. She is rocket science smart, but a smidge shy of a full deck when it comes to common sense (she admits it)...she's always saying, "You'll miss me when the mother ship comes for me", and I keep joking with her that the mother ship really needs to beam her up for some warranty work, but that they can't keep her. Her birthday is in December, so help...please...

Chris
Old 2005-10-22, 7:17pm

I am not sure if you are referring to any specific tecnique but one way to acieve this is to roll a black base bead in small silver and gold chunks. First roll in 22 or 24 ct gold clippings and heat in an oxidizing flame until the metal starts to burn and leaves a trace deposit of gold fume on the surface. Next roll in .999% pure siler clippings and gently heat in a reducing flame until the metal smokes and leaves a fume deposit. Then encase with clear the fumed bead with imbedded metal chunks taking care not to burn off the fume. The finished bead should look like it has small metal comets with blue green or pink tail when done properly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2005-10-23, 5:31am
Gabby's Nest Lampwork

I hope Queen Corina doesn't mind me giving the secret away. When I got PTF few weeks ago, the cosmic fudge was one of the first beads I had to try.
1. make a black barrel bead
2. roll in silver foil and burnish
3. dots with silvered ivory stringer
4. encase
I attached a pic of it. first one looks like a galaxy in the early stage with red and blue (well, that was my intention anyway). third one was cracked, I didn't have kiln yet when I made these guys. Hope you have fun with these.
Kyung
Old 2005-10-23, 5:32am
Gabby's Nest Lampwork

Opps, the pic disappeared. here we go again.
Attached Images

Old 2005-10-23, 6:30am
Back from the Dark Side

Transparent cobalt, wrapped in silver with rubino dots is my favorite

Kyung, those are beautiful!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~
~
~
Steal List - 48, 50, 60, 32, and 29 for now
Old 2005-10-23, 6:40am
~ a.k.a. Sharlee22 ~

Here's a bead I made and called galaxy.

Make a Cobalt base,
add random dots of rubino,
roll in silver foil and burnish it (means roll it on a graphite marver to make sure the silver is touching the entire bead)
burn off the silver,
add random silvered stringer lines,
encased in clear.

Pretty easy and make amazing effects!

Hope this will help you!
Attached Images

Old 2005-10-23, 7:37am
Back from the Dark Side

Here is one I'm talking about...not encased, rubino over silver

~
~
~
Old 2005-10-23, 10:51am
Rose colored glasses…√

Wow, those are all so cool! The ones I was thinking about have that "air of distinction" but I'm likin' all of them, off to torch...

Thanx everyone! oh soooo much,

Chris
Old 2005-10-23, 10:53am
Back from the Dark Side

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissij
Wow, those are all so cool! The ones I was thinking about have that "air of distinction" but I'm likin' all of them, off to torch...

Thanx everyone! oh soooo much,

Chris
*snort* Thanks Chris

~
~
~
Old 2020-06-13, 9:30pm

What are the rods that you see people using that already have the "planet" inside them? to make their galaxy marbles?
Old 2020-06-14, 1:13pm

Typically not a rod but a glass tube, heat close the end, drop the planet (opal or other object being used as the planet in the tube. Heat close it up and place it where you want it.

At one time there was rods with crushed opal in them you could use to get the planets (small ones). I have one I purchased from Trev's Glass some time ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenttinen View Post
What are the rods that you see people using that already have the "planet" inside them? to make their galaxy marbles?