Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-07-14, 9:32am
Confused as usual

Default Shorts

I bought a 10 lb. box of shorts ,lots of great looking glass ! there are some pieces however that are only 2 to 3 in long ,Not sure how to use those ??? any suggestions ? would these be a good size for pulling stringers?? Also I have so much that if you are new to lampworking like me and would like some shorts to play with or pull stringers from please PM me I would be more than happy to share : )
Old 2011-07-14, 9:36am
tiptrinket

I'm not new to lampworking, but love shorts and do not have any. So, if no newbie wants them, pm me.
Tippy
Old 2011-07-14, 9:38am
Confused as usual

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiptrinket View Post
I'm not new to lampworking, but love shorts and do not have any. So, if no newbie wants them, pm me.
Tippy
I sure will : ) any tips on using them soo small??
Old 2011-07-14, 9:55am

You could use some for making your own frit.

Or flame fuse a short onto a clear rod by holding the short with a pre-soaked clothespin, then use short to make a bead or to decorate or if you have two shorts of different colors you like, you can make a twistie..

Or cut into equal size shorts to make earring beads by second method mentioned above.

Last edited by Carols Glass; 2011-07-14 at 9:58am.
Old 2011-07-14, 9:56am
sunscreen me baby

Heat the end of a full rod as well as the end of the short and stick them together.

You can also heat the short using pliers and stick it beside and on a longer rod. Heat the whole thing and pull and twist to make a twistie. Or don't twist and you have a two colored stringer. Put a couple on a full rod and you can pull a nice streaky cane for flowers or vine or a twisty.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2011-07-14, 9:59am
Lampworkaholic!

I love the Greedy Grabber sold by Arrow Springs for holding shorts.

I fuse the last little bits onto another rod and pull stringer.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2011-07-14, 10:16am

I have the arrow springs greedy grabber. Where did you get such a large box of shorts? Wow. Have fun!
Old 2011-07-14, 10:29am
Confused as usual

I will have to check out this greedy grabber ? I bought them out here from someone who was selling them , I figured it was a great way to get some practice glass of which I will be needing alot ,LOL
Old 2011-07-14, 10:37am
Duchess of Dichro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Snail View Post
I have the arrow springs greedy grabber. Where did you get such a large box of shorts? Wow. Have fun!
How is the greedy grabber? I have another one that is not that hot.

Old 2011-07-14, 10:38am

Scroll down, they are towards the bottom of the first page on sale. http://www.arrowsprings.com/

I could recommend lots of things from arrowsprings, but I will try to keep my excitement to a minimum.
Old 2011-07-14, 10:40am
Confused as usual

I am looking for all the recommendations I can get : )
Old 2011-07-14, 10:40am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Dana View Post
How is the greedy grabber? I have another one that is not that hot.
I love it. I can pick up bits of rod easily. You do have to make sure your glass it heated before you start to work it though or it can pull out. The fact that there is nothing to tighten or clip makes up for this.
Old 2011-07-14, 10:42am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazarra View Post
I am looking for all the recommendations I can get : )
Ok, well I am a newbie and my favorite most used tool is the Lani Ching Shaper. I use it every single time I torch.
Old 2011-07-14, 10:42am
Confused as usual

and wow thanks for that link they have lots of fun looking stuff : )
Old 2011-07-14, 10:44am
Confused as usual

Quote:
Ok, well I am a newbie and my favorite most used tool is the Lani Ching Shaper. I use it every single time I torch.
Did you get that from the same place?
Old 2011-07-14, 10:45am
Nikki Haverstock

Quote:
Really? I looked it up and i can picture how to use it but don't know why it would be so useful. In what way are you using it? Maybe I too will need one someday ( right now I am on a buying hiatus)
Old 2011-07-14, 10:51am

Ok now I need to go look at this lani change shaper. You can never have enough tools!
Old 2011-07-14, 10:55am

Jazarra, another awesome tool is the brass stump shaper. You can get it at arrow springs or just about any glass supplier. I use this for just about every bead I make. I began with a graphite marver but brass is wonderful at grabbing glass and moving it around. Graphite is great for smoothing, if you got in on Donnas sale on her beadrollers, they are the best rollers IMHO!
Old 2011-07-14, 11:05am

Ok, you made me go look it up too. That is a nice tool. I have the Osibin shapers which are generaly the same but not an all in one like the Ching shaper. I can't be without my Osibin Lentil shaper, and the Osibin Formers though. I also splurged about a year ago and bought the CD rod holder which is just so nice. Use that to death.

Quote:

Old 2011-07-14, 11:14am
Nikki Haverstock

I feel I should atleast mention that rollers might not be the best tool for someone that has only torched for three hours. I still find them tricky after a 10 months. I was told to learn the basics first (shaping with gravity) I just am saying because it was advice that helped me.
Old 2011-07-14, 11:21am
CiM Tamarind-Skinned

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2glassgal View Post
Jazarra, another awesome tool is the brass stump shaper. You can get it at arrow springs or just about any glass supplier. I use this for just about every bead I make. I began with a graphite marver but brass is wonderful at grabbing glass and moving it around. Graphite is great for smoothing, if you got in on Donnas sale on her beadrollers, they are the best rollers IMHO!
I just got the Cattwalk angled marver and a month ago, Corrina gifted me several tools. One of them was the Magic Wand. It is magic! oooooh! I love brass. I am not even experienced enough to tell you why, I just do!
Old 2011-07-14, 11:36am

Hi, this rod holder works great. I use it every day.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/71780755...work-short-rod

Old 2011-07-14, 11:50am
Always smiling, again.

After pulling stringers use them for making your own millefiori. Especially if it's reactive glass!

Old 2011-07-14, 11:51am

The Lani Ching Shaper is Arrowspring's own creation, I don't know if it is sold elsewhere. I use it to form barrels, tubes, and make flat slightly rounded focals. I have some presses but I like the fact that this tool does not require you to make exactly the same shape each time. You can use it how you want. Plus I don't knock my bead release off with this.
Old 2011-07-14, 11:52am

Good advise. You should learn gravity before using any shapers in my opinion. Especially for round beads. You don't need shapers for those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polgarra View Post
I feel I should atleast mention that rollers might not be the best tool for someone that has only torched for three hours. I still find them tricky after a 10 months. I was told to learn the basics first (shaping with gravity) I just am saying because it was advice that helped me.

Old 2011-07-14, 11:59am
Pugs rule

I have this holder, really works well when using small nubs: http://www.etsy.com/listing/39026944...ght-rod-holder

Old 2011-07-14, 12:01pm
Confused as usual

Quote:
Originally Posted by designsbykurato View Post
I have this holder, really works well when using small nubs: http://www.etsy.com/listing/39026944...ght-rod-holder
OH I think that is the winner for Me Thanks
Old 2011-07-14, 12:08pm
Triumphantly Knit!

Being a short lover myself I'm of the theory no short is too short. I'm kept awake at night by posts telling of shorts that people have thrown out.

itty bitty shorts: heat and plunge for frit
preheat in kiln, rod warmer, hot plate and either fuse onto longer rod or heat end of old bent mandrel or stainless steel chopstick and plunge or attach to itty bitty shortie. pull stringer, make twisties, wind for base bead, use for dots.

I love my shorts, I love your shorts, I love that you won't be keeping me awake tonight, instead I'll be dreaming of all the ways you've learned to use your shorts.

Oh, and I've melted shorts onto glass that's been wound around the mandrel as a sculptural type thang. this is fun to do.

thing about glass.....it will melt so you can play and play and play....and while the cool tools are nice, you can use old needle nose pliers, hemos, mandrels, etc.
now, I gotta go see what a magic wand is. since it's not hitachi we're talking about here, I need to do some research.

most of all Jazzara---have fun girl!

namaste
Rowyn

"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"

"Only from the heart can you touch the sky"

"Be kind whenever possible.It is always possible
Old 2011-07-14, 12:11pm

Jazarra, good choice on the rod holder, I have it and quite like it. But, I have like 3 short rod holders and find myself using them all as well. I did not know that you had only been lamp working for only a few hours, so the advice that polgarra gave you, is really the best advice someone could give. It might not sound amazing but it's great advice. You can incorporate it with some of the Frits I sent you buy letting gravity swirl the frit in different designs on the glass. I always hear that round beads are boring but I have tons of presses and rollers and I can say that probably 75% of my beads are still round! Just let loose and have fun with it
Old 2011-07-14, 12:12pm

Rowyn, we posted have fun At the same time!! Lol, fun is what it's all about