Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2005-11-30, 4:10pm

Default Didymium questions

My Mom has very bad vision and has to wear her own glasses. She bought these clip on didymiums and they have ruined her glasses from the sharp prongs on them that actually clip onto the GLASS part. Her glasses were "scratch resistant" too.

She don't want the didymium sheild cause shes afraid it will bug her.

Is there any didymiums that clip on like on the nose bar of glasses? Like those flip up sunglasses?

Also, I like to just play with glass some, and watch my Mom. But I need some kind of glasses. I can't wear mom's... but I don't want to spend $40, $100 + just to play and watch.
I am really tiny... only 50lbs so kids ones would probably work for me. Anywhere I can get them pretty cheap?

Silver Mist Studios

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

High Quality Handcrafted Jewelry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2005-11-30, 6:17pm
ManBearPig

It depends on how much your mom spends. I know Mike at AuraLens makes prescription didymium glasses, but, being custom made, they aren't cheap. She may want to look into some of the large frame glasses that will fit over top of her regular glasses.

As for you, you may want to try to find a pair of these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ACE-202-Didymium...QQcmdZViewItem

I have a pair, and they are relatively small. New they aren't that cheap, but you may be able to find some used somewhere. Here's what they look like in person...

http://www.soleiletlune.com/class/DSC01628.jpg

Pay no attention to the fat guy in the picture. I'm working on it...

•
•
•
Old 2005-11-30, 6:19pm
Safety ALWAYS

Unfortunately, clip on's for glassworkers (for soft glass) are available ONLY in the style your mother already has. The bridge style clip is available only in a drill mount style, where the actual lens itself is drilled - and glass lenses cannot be drilled - only plastic and polycarbonate lenses can be drilled.

As far as the scratches on your mother's glasses - I'm afraid there's not much that can be done - "scratch resistant" lenses is about the biggest scam put on consumers ever. There's no such thing as a "scratch resistant" plastic or polycarbonate lens.

Some clips do have a plastic tube-like sleeve that fits over the hook - this is designed to reduce any possible scratching from the hook. Depending on the type of frame your mother has, it may not be possible for the clips to do anything but clip onto the lens.

We don't recommend using clip on's with rimless or drill mount frames - the clip will only mount to the lens and this almost complete guarantees a scratch from the clip.

Have your mom contact my sales department ( sales@auralens.com ) we have a children's program and you will get a pair at no charge.

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
Old 2005-11-30, 9:38pm

Thank You so much Mike!

I suppose unless she wants to continue looking through severely scratched glasses she'll have to learn how to use the shield instead.

I will contact about the childrens glasses! Thank You so much! That'll be great! Then I can enjoy watching my Mom do lampwork and dabble a little myself!

Silver Mist Studios

Old 2005-11-30, 9:46pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo

Actually, I just noticed that your bead looks like flames, and it looks like you're intently working on that glass... Cool!!!

Misty - I got a pair of clip-ons that had a clip in the center like you're describing. They are AWFUL. I broke them already, and went to the better ones that cling with the little arms to the sides of my glasses. Yes, they scratched the glasses - luckily I was due for a new pair, so I kept the old ones to use with the diddys. Maybe your Mom has an older pair somewhere that she can use exclusively for lampworking?

~:
:~
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon

Last edited by NLC Beads; 2005-11-30 at 9:48pm.
Old 2005-12-01, 9:41am
Irish Eyes A Smiling

Before I had the clip ons, I used the standard didy glasses - mine had the side safety shields attached. I cut the shields off and left the "connector" on the top of each lense and just wore them over my glasses.....looked pretty bizarre, but it worked and I could see!

Old 2005-12-08, 11:25pm

Misty--some "heat shrink tubing" from the hardware store will help to cover the metal clips on mom's clip-ons...to cut down on further scratching....she can just slide the tube over the clips...cut it a bit too long...it's ugly, but it helps...not an ideal situation, but it'll help a little...until she can save enough to buy the Rx didy's!
~luna

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2005-12-09, 11:22am

Thanks guys!

Mike I emailed your sales dept. about a week ago and havent heard anything in return??

Silver Mist Studios

Old 2005-12-09, 1:12pm
Safety ALWAYS

Let me check!

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
Old 2005-12-09, 1:18pm
*goofball*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo
It depends on how much your mom spends. I know Mike at AuraLens makes prescription didymium glasses, but, being custom made, they aren't cheap. She may want to look into some of the large frame glasses that will fit over top of her regular glasses.

As for you, you may want to try to find a pair of these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ACE-202-Didymium...QQcmdZViewItem

I have a pair, and they are relatively small. New they aren't that cheap, but you may be able to find some used somewhere. Here's what they look like in person...

http://www.soleiletlune.com/class/DSC01628.jpg

you are not fat Chad!!! Lynn