Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2016-02-27, 8:53am
Certified Glassaholic!

Default How to pack/ship an O2 concentrator??

OK peeps....I need advice....I think I'm going to ship my concentrator out here to HI from NC. Sadly, it's been years since I bought it and I no longer have the container and packing from when I got it so I'm trying to figure out exactly what/how I need to pack this thing so it survives the shipment. On top of that....I need to figure out what the most cost effective way of getting it here might be.

Anyone have any ideas?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2016-02-27, 1:50pm

If it's going to HI have a box made for it. It'll cost more than you think it should but why ship it if it breaks on the way?

Mailboxes etc or some other full service shipping company should be able to do it.
Old 2016-02-27, 2:26pm
Certified Glassaholic!

It's like the ongoing debate....ship what I have or just buy a replacement and sell the one back home.

Old 2016-02-27, 6:25pm

I suspect it will be very close.
Old 2016-02-27, 11:51pm
Phill

Have you shopped for a used one there?

It might be you would wind up spending just as much for shipping as for picking up a used unit.

Most of the ones that become available would be because a family member has passed and the family would just as soon get that particular memory out of the house.

You could always post an ad on craigs list and see if anyone wants to part with one.
They cant be sold for anything like the cost of brand new because medical use requires recertification and that needs to follow with a prescription and only insurance companies come up with that kind of cash.

And unless things have changed alot on the islands, Mattson Shipping will take as large a gouge as they can get away with.

Heck you might even do OK with a new unit from over seas if you get it mailed to you.
Old 2016-02-28, 7:43am
Certified Glassaholic!

I've looked for used but there's not much out there. Currently have a line on a refurbed one from the mainland but waiting to see what shipping might run. I think it'll be at least a couple hundred to get mine out here if I try to ship myself but on the other hand it is a Regalia. I really hate to part with it Will have to seriously consider finally PODding a bunch of stuff out here.

Old 2016-02-28, 10:46am

It sounds like a POD might be worth it. Especially if you begin considering consumer products you can't get there.

I should have mentioned you ought to ask this question in the bathroom. Maren is there often and I think she lives there.
Old 2016-02-29, 8:54pm
Phill

Indeed Maren does live on the big island.

You might even ask around and see if anyone you know there wants to share the costs of shipping with you by getting some their stuff shipped with yours.

Last edited by Speedslug; 2016-02-29 at 9:32pm.
Old 2016-03-02, 11:53am
Certified Glassaholic!

Thank you all for your help and suggestions I, fingers crossed, will be picking one up locally tomorrow. Hooray for Craigslist!! I did post a "wanted" ad and someone actually got back to me!!

Old 2016-03-03, 4:41am
Phill

Hope that works out for you.
Old 2016-03-03, 11:17am

With things like this you can wrap the item in trash bags.
One from the bottom, and one from the top.
Then use spray foam to fill all the spaces in a box.
2" clearance between the object and the box is usually enough.
"Great stuff" will work but you want to add packing peanuts, bubble wrap to help reduce the volume of spray foam needed.
Usually layering the spray foam between layers of packing peanuts works well.

Old 2016-03-04, 12:52am
Phill

Aye Losthelm and you can contain the spray foam with in bags as well.

Cover the item as you mentioned in large bags then put small bags under and around and fill each bag one at a time.
That will help give each bag full time and room to expand and out gas.
Give each layer 20 minutes to firm up and then add another layer of small bags and foam on top.
Just remember that the filler tube can seize up during that 20 minutes so you might want to have everything laid out and handy before you start and you might also want to kind of work slowly so the beginning of one layer has time to firm up buy the time you are ready to start the second layer.
Oh and do it outside or at least with a strong fan moving the fumes outside.

They have different mixes that don't push outward as much as the original type so that you don't wind up warping door and window frames inward and change the way they open and close.

Last edited by Speedslug; 2016-03-04 at 12:57am.
Old 2016-03-04, 11:58am
Certified Glassaholic!

Thanks! I wouldn't have thought of the spray foam so that's definitely something to tuck away. Sadly now it's just a weight issue. Cost to ship still will run at least $200 and then you're praying nothing gets damaged in transit.