No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2018-04-04, 7:44pm
flight risk

Default color identification

Can anyone help me with these colors? I've been searching everywhere but photos of rods/ rod ends are hard to find.

They are all 2007/ 2008 or earlier. There is a good chance that one or all of them could be Vetrofond Odd lots (especially the larger bundles.)

The green has a very rough surface (that's Vetro Yellow Ocher across it, for comparison- were there multiple shades?) The pale yellow and the grey-blue have that "translucent" look to them. The bright blue has a tiny core of a darker transparent blue.

Anybody have any ideas? Thanks!

Glenda
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2018-04-04, 7:55pm
Corgi Cult Member

Went and checked my stash. The grey-blue is Vetro Grey Pearl Light, the yellow is Vetro Banana Cream and your darker green is Vetro Pastel Khaki (I remember being disappointed when Vetro Yellow Ochre and Pastel Khaki were basically the same thing.) My lighting for the photo was bad, but the Pastel Khaki is darker than the Yellow Ocher, both turn into a baby poo color, but I love it with Raku.
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by artwhim; 2018-04-04 at 8:26pm.
Old 2018-04-04, 8:06pm
flight risk

Yep, that's what I was thinking too, it's lighter than the Lemon Meringue I have. Thanks!

Old 2018-04-04, 8:25pm
Corgi Cult Member

I would guess the far right is Vanilla Ice, Vetro Light Ivory or Extra Light Opal Yellow. All were available in that time frame. Vanilla Ice is a bit translucent I believe, Vetro Light Ivory is a very evenly colored rod and the Extra Light Opal Yellow has a bit of a sheen to the rods. I vaguely remember that grey pearl being popular at the time.

Yes, Banana Creme is lighter than Lemon Meringue.

Last edited by artwhim; 2018-04-04 at 8:32pm.
Old 2018-04-04, 8:41pm
flight risk

Thank you so much! I have never heard of the Pastel Khaki so I would have never gotten that one. The Vanilla Ice and Grey Pearl make sense too, I seem to have all of the other odd lots and those were missing from the list. I wonder if the red might be Tomato Soup... but these seem more red than orange.

Old 2018-04-04, 10:08pm
Corgi Cult Member

There were actually two different glasses named Tomato Soup, so it’s possible. Your red *almost* looks like the darkest rods of Vetro Poppy. Most were the Watermelon version, but there was also a much redder version. The really dark rods I have of it are very thin rods, so I’m not sure if they also came in regular sized rods. My watermelon are regular sized, but those are a bit translucent and not vibrant like the dark rods. The dark Poppy is one of my favorites!

Old 2018-04-05, 5:11am
flight risk

There is a chance it could be the dark poppy... there is also some watermelon poppy in this stuff. These are *slightly* smaller, not translucent and definitely more red and vibrant. I'll post a photo of the two together later when the light is better.

Last edited by carolinainmymind; 2018-04-05 at 5:57am.
Old 2018-04-05, 7:52am
Corgi Cult Member

I’ll take a photo of the two for comparison later along with any other odd lot reds I find. If it’s the dark Poppy, and you are selling, I might be interested. I tried to trade or buy for the stuff a few years ago and the only transaction ended in a Paypal dispute because she never shipped after I paid.

Old 2018-04-05, 8:25am
Lampworkaholic!

Light ivory, gray pearl, banana cream, pajama blue, light red special, wasabi (it did come in different shades).

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2018-04-05, 9:21am
flight risk

Default More photos

OK, here we go...

first photo: vetro poppy- watermelon, mystery glass, rods of med red, dk red special, rhubard

second/ third photo: pajama blue, mystery glass and a shot of the rod ends. I think this one may be ocean blue/ green based on the chart at the serena's beadery website. I can't seem to find any other colors from that time period that is this shade.

fourth photo: yellow ice, mystery glass, lt ivory (I know the mystery glass isn't dark ivory, I've compared it to what I have.)

The green may be a yellow ochre variant, but the rods are sooo much rougher than what I have, almost sandpaper rough.
Attached Images

Old 2018-04-05, 9:28am

Could the red be Candy Apple Red? Does it have a bit of translucency on the outside.
Old 2018-04-05, 10:01am
flight risk

Nope, I have that one too I sometimes tell my husband that I want ALL the colors. I'm much closer now...

Last edited by carolinainmymind; 2018-04-05 at 10:05am.
Old 2018-04-05, 10:20am
Corgi Cult Member

Here is what I have from that time period. I had forgotten there was an opaque version of Vetro Candy Apple Red, but one of my rods has the original tag so that’s the case. I also have the translucent version which was more common. Are your rods smooth or rough? My Dk Poppy rods are slightly rough as are the Dusty Coral. All the others are smooth.
Attached Images

Old 2018-04-05, 10:48am
flight risk

Hmmm, the rods are completely smooth. I have the persimmon coral and the chili looks too light. May be the candy apple opaque, but I have the transparent version and this is way more orange-y than that one. It's a very similar color to the persimmon, only a darker shade. There are faint rings of transparent in the end, which is why I was thinking Vetrofond, but it may be one of the 10,000 versions of coral. I'll melt an end and see what happens then.

Old 2018-04-05, 2:38pm
Lampworkaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinainmymind View Post
OK, here we go...

first photo: vetro poppy- watermelon, mystery glass, rods of med red, dk red special, rhubard

second/ third photo: pajama blue, mystery glass and a shot of the rod ends. I think this one may be ocean blue/ green based on the chart at the serena's beadery website. I can't seem to find any other colors from that time period that is this shade.

fourth photo: yellow ice, mystery glass, lt ivory (I know the mystery glass isn't dark ivory, I've compared it to what I have.)

The green may be a yellow ochre variant, but the rods are sooo much rougher than what I have, almost sandpaper rough.
The blue is probably Vetrofond light turquoise, now that I see it next to pajama. Ocean blue/green is much darker in the rods.

Is the light ivory in your photo Effetre? The Vetrofond version is lighter and smoother rods. I’m sticking with Vetrofond light ivory.

Also sticking with Vetrofond light red special.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2018-04-05, 3:00pm
Corgi Cult Member

The Light Ivory in your photo looks like Moretti to me. I have more than one odd lot of Opal Yellow. To me, your middle one looks like the much coveted Vetro Lt Ivory. Is it possible your red wasn’t an odd? If so, one of the regular Vetro reds looked like that. I’d have to check on the number, but it was brighter and a touch more orange than the Moretti counterpart.
Attached Images

Last edited by artwhim; 2018-04-05 at 3:04pm.
Old 2018-04-05, 3:23pm
Corgi Cult Member

Here are the regular Vetro and Moretti reds.
Attached Images

Old 2018-04-05, 3:24pm
Corgi Cult Member

Here are the ends, for some reason I couldn’t upload both photos in the last post.
Attached Images

Old 2018-04-05, 4:02pm

I just love these threads!
Old 2018-04-05, 5:09pm
flight risk

OK, the red is most likely Vetro 428. I melted a paddle and it is dark red (completely different from the orangish rods!) and the ends look like the ones in your photo. And seeing the photos of the ivories, it does look like the Vetro light ivory- much more yellowish than the Morretti and very smooth rods. Are there transparent rings in the ivory like in the red?

Old 2018-04-05, 7:23pm
Corgi Cult Member

Yes, although less obvious than the red. Funny thing, I’d never noticed the rings until you asked and I checked. Vetro has always been my preference over Moretti and at one point in time it was dirt cheap. Wish I had bought even more!

No clue on your brighter blue unless it is their version of sky blue or light turquoise. Definitely not any of the variations of Ocean.

Old 2018-04-05, 7:23pm
Corgi Cult Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by echeveria View Post
I just love these threads!
Me too! Plus I discovered glass I had forgotten I had!

Old 2018-04-07, 10:17pm
Naysayer

I love that red!(428 ) My fav red that I miss when they stopped making glass.

Wasn't there a transparent ivory as well? Seems like I have some. Can you melt an end? If reselling I don't think a tiny bit would matter.