No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-02-04, 2:48pm
Lampworkaholic!

Default Palladium Stringer ?

Can you make Palladium stringer the way you make SIS? I suppose I could go try it for myself, but I can't be the first one to think of this.

And while we are on the subject, what about gold stringer?

I'm not crazy about working with leaf but I love the look of Palladium and gold.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2010-02-04, 2:50pm
And silence is golden

I'm not sure that I would want to waste my palladium, or gold for that matter, on such a tricky application. If you try it, post your results!
Old 2010-02-04, 4:27pm

I wouldn't think it would turn out great. Palladium doesn't melt in like the silver. I wouldn't think gold would do well either.

Amy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-02-04, 4:38pm
Glass-aholic

for stringer application, I would THINK that if you were just looking for application purposes (drawing) that you could lay it ONE side of a stringer, flat or round, and then draw on your bead. I don't know of any reactive purposes... but i have not explored the world of palladium that much either. You might even be able to do it like goldstone and en-capsule it in a good clear, or light transparent blue, trapping the palladium inside the glass

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2010-02-04, 5:43pm

Palladium has a much higher melting temp than silver (1552 degrees C for Pd vs 961 for Ag). It's also much less reactive so what you'd likely get is little crunchy bits of metal spread out across the surface of your stringer.

Robert
Old 2010-02-04, 7:31pm
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSimmons View Post
Palladium has a much higher melting temp than silver (1552 degrees C for Pd vs 961 for Ag). It's also much less reactive so what you'd likely get is little crunchy bits of metal spread out across the surface of your stringer.

Robert
So it is good for keeping the shiny silvery look if it is encased, right?
Old 2010-02-04, 11:47pm
a pox upon an idiot :..

You can make gold leaf stringer just like you do silver, I like it best on ivory.
Old 2010-02-05, 12:08am

I've made both. The palladium isn't worth the effort. There isn't enough to 'pop' and Robert is right about little bits spread across the stringer (not really crunchy, though, as I recall,lol). It just looks kind of gray. Palladium isn't screamingly shiny to start with, the big draw is the pastels you can get with it. You can't get any with stringer, just not enough surface area.

When I made it with gold, I made sure I encased the gold so it wouldn't go 'poof'. Once again, not enough gold 'pop' to justify the expense for me. Since it works for Starr, I may have just been too careful and too frugal.
Old 2010-02-05, 7:06am

Palladium will retain it's shine if it's encased. You can get some interesting raku-like (pottery raku) effects on the surface with the right combination of glass and flame conditions.
Robert