Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Closed Thread

Old 2010-05-08, 10:01am
If the Wooden Shoes Fit??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fine Folly Glassworks View Post
Thank you Houkje! You are a sweetheart to be so kind. The glass is worth the wait, and I bet they already have their next shipment ordered!
I have heard a small rumor, , don't tell... There is a new glass order on the way from India already...

Houkje
Old 2010-05-08, 10:04am

Hi Holly;;; I seen you .... Good morning girl...

Houkje

Last edited by starlightforge; 2010-05-08 at 10:09am. Reason: By the time I posted she was gone...
Old 2010-05-08, 10:09am

Some favorites of mine, that have all gotten new homes, I'm hoping the drk transparent purple is on the next boat !!
Old 2010-05-08, 10:14am

Holly... Those are beautiful ... My fav. is the center purple ones... Is that the transparent Dk. purple??? If it is I think I have a rod of it...

Houkje
Old 2010-05-08, 10:20am

Hey Houkje, thanks...yes, trans Dk purple....when you lay silver ivory stringer on that color it just goes nuts. It doesn't show up in the picture but some of the silvered parts turns a pretty blue color. The purple, for some reason is very reactive with the silver !! I was so bummed it wasn't on this shipment but that will give me something to look forward to the next time !! This was a great idea by the way....it's nice to see what people are making with the glass.
Old 2010-05-08, 10:43am
Remember to keep smiling

Holly love the beads the DK Purple is lovely I haven't tried that one.

Houkje Thank you for the compliment I loved the way the DK Rose Avtr. flowed. I agoing to have to order more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SRA#P109
Old 2010-05-08, 10:48am

Quote:
Originally Posted by baby firefly View Post
Hey Houkje, thanks...yes, trans Dk purple....when you lay silver ivory stringer on that color it just goes nuts. It doesn't show up in the picture but some of the silvered parts turns a pretty blue color. The purple, for some reason is very reactive with the silver !! I was so bummed it wasn't on this shipment but that will give me something to look forward to the next time !! This was a great idea by the way....it's nice to see what people are making with the glass.
Holly... I'm going to have to give that a try.... Thanks
I'm off to take a few pics of beads to d9o a show & tell too...
Also DH wants something to eat.... Be back in a bit....

Houkje
Old 2010-05-08, 10:54am

Houkje Thank you for the compliment I loved the way the DK Rose Avtr. flowed. I agoing to have to order more.[/quote]

Paula... You are welcome... I ordered a LB to start with, I thought that it would sell out before I could order more... lol ...

I'm going to try the Dk. purple and sis that holly did this afternoon...

Must run.... DH is starving....

Houkje
Old 2010-05-08, 12:24pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Okay Houkje, here's my contribution to a bead show from days gone by! Devardi is so great for sculptural work! Right now I'm working on a "When Piggies Fly" bead. As you can see, it needs some work!

Come on everyone, cheer us up and post your pics! We love to see what you've done! Holly I love that first light purple Focal bead!

When Pigs Fly...

Fantail Goldfish (love that Devardi Orange!)...

2 Pandoras...

4 Floral Buddie Bears...

8 Pups practicing their "Stay"...

Holding on for dear life...

Short stuff...

"Blue Boy" - not a good pic - very sparkly in person...

Last edited by Fine Folly Glassworks; 2010-05-08 at 3:01pm.
Old 2010-05-08, 2:45pm
The Grand Foobah

Paula - those are adorable! And the hearts are perfect!

Houkje - it's not nice to spread rumors that cause sleeplessness due to excitement in others!

Holly - love the purple ones as well. The Dk trans purple was that part of my order that sold out before mine shipped. Now that I see your beads I'm even more bummed!

Kristina - great job on the fish beads!

Foofaraw is a style. An attitude. A fresh glimmer of fun. Foofaraw is unique.
Old 2010-05-08, 2:55pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaP View Post
Holly love the beads the DK Purple is lovely I haven't tried that one.

Houkje Thank you for the compliment I loved the way the DK Rose Avtr. flowed. I agoing to have to order more.
Paula, thanks so much. That dk purple is the richest color I've ever found... if you are a true purple freak, like I am, you will love it. I wish I had a better camera to really pick up the details but it's a fun color with Silver Ivory stringer, or all by itself. Glad to hear you're loving the rose adventurine rods, I blew my budget and didn't get any, so I'll have to live vicariously through other people, on that color....great job.!
Old 2010-05-08, 4:13pm

Hello Everyone,
I've been so thrilled about the new colors. I ordered a few pounds to check them out, and I just got them today. I was so excited, that I immediately turned on my kiln only to find out that my relay has gone out. What a bummer!!!!!! So I guess I'll go clean my garage instead. Would anyone like to help???? LOL.

Laurel
Old 2010-05-08, 5:10pm
The Grand Foobah

I'm a master organizer but you'd have to bribe me!

Old 2010-05-08, 5:31pm
Remember to keep smiling

Kristina - Love when pigs fly. I have had a little luck making my wings by starting from the tail pull your rod toward the head then pull a small amount of glass up and pull back toward the tail. Continue back and forth as for as many layers you desire the trick is while pulling the glass back and forth it should never leave the bead. The final pull you should apply only a tad more pressure and pull the glass upward to give your wing a point. I thought I had a pic of hummers but can’t find them.

Jenn - Thank you for the compliment. I can’t believe they are already selling out of colors so fast. I hope it is true they have another shipment coming soon

Holly - Looks like I am going to have to live also vicariously through other people DK Purple….YES YES I admit I am a purple freak……lol

Laurel - I know that excitement you felt when the glass arrived. I like to set mine out and just admire it awhile. How horrible to go from excitement to being bum. Hopefully you will be able to get your Kiln repaired quickly. New Glass, Clean Studio and your Kiln working like new will be in my thoughts for you and my fingers crossed for safe measure that it will all happen very soon. See I rattled on for so long you probably have the garage all cleaned up and want be needing me……LOL

SRA#P109
Old 2010-05-08, 6:24pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Thank you Paula! I struggled with the wings on the Pig and the Bee. I did some better on the Bee, but I'll try your steps!

Old 2010-05-08, 8:33pm

Oh look at what has been happening while I was out playing....

Kristina... Love the "when pigs fly" it is tooooo cute... Here is a great vidio on youtube for making wings.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ABt-FM7eao

Jenn.... Sorry to cause any sleeplessness due to excitement, But I just had to tell someone.. Remember it is just a rumor, but I got it from a reliable source.. .. Not sure when it will get there though.... Hopefully after all the dust settles around Devardi after this last shipment... lol

Laurel... What a bummer on the kiln ... You are going to love the glass... While you are waiting on the kiln fix, you might want to watch the Devardi vidios on youtube... I found them to be very helpful when starting out with this glass.... Or have I miss understood and you have used this glass before??? The vidios are still great to watch either way...

Houkje
Old 2010-05-08, 8:50pm

Here are a few beads from me... Sorry the pics aren't the best... I do like this shape...

These are the colors used to create these beads..

Pic. # 1 ... NCN- Opaque Army Green with silver/copper/brass metal frit
Pic. # 2 ... D83-Semi-Opaque Moonstone White with silver/brass metal frit, with D62-Transparent Lt. Purple dots
Pic. # 3 ... D83-Semi-Opaque Moonstone White with silver/copper/brass metal frit, with D62-Transparent Lt. Purple dots and lines
Pic. # 4 ... NCN- Opaque Tan with silver/copper/brass metal frit, with D74- Transparent Amber dots
Pic. # 5 ... D153- Opaque Ivory with silver/copper/brass metal frit with Transparent Red
All these beads start with a barrel bead and then are gravity stretched to get the bone shape...
Attached Images

Big Hugs, We all need them...

Last edited by starlightforge; 2010-05-09 at 10:19am. Reason: Inputting colors used...
Old 2010-05-09, 5:17am

Houkje-please tell us the colors for these! They are beautiful!
Old 2010-05-09, 6:09am

Okay I tried out several of the colors last night and ran down first thing this morning to take a look lol. The frog green is stunning, and the marbled italian butterscotch I think is going to provide some lovely organic beads. and the semi opaque baby green is a wonderful soft pale green. I will see if I can take some quick pics they are still on the mandrel

Old 2010-05-09, 6:46am
The Grand Foobah

Kristina - very cute bee!

Houkje - I like the shape as well, it's very soothing!

Sonje - no posting and running without photos. You posted 40 minutes ago, where are the pics!

Old 2010-05-09, 6:54am

okay here they are.

Old 2010-05-09, 6:54am

lol hubby made me breakfast.

Old 2010-05-09, 7:18am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlightforge View Post
Oh look at what has been happening while I was out playing....

Kristina... Love the "when pigs fly" it is tooooo cute... Here is a great vidio on youtube for making wings.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ABt-FM7eao Houkje

Thank you - I have seen that video and love it! I think everyone would benefit to watch it. Isn't it amazing how relaxed he is, and how he cleans up the ends of his rods with each use!

Your long beads are neat! So glad you are posting!
Old 2010-05-09, 10:39am

Quote:
Originally Posted by blong2001 View Post
Houkje-please tell us the colors for these! They are beautiful!
Bethany... Thank you for the kind words... I have edited the post with the colors I used... post #1127

Kristina... Thank you.... I thought the video is great... And I do agree that Rodger Child has a very calm way about him... I try to clean up the end of my rods as well, I have poked myself more than once with a sharp end... lol

Jenn... Thank you.. Yes the shape is very soothing in the hand... These would make great Pocket Fiddles...

Sonje... Thank you for posting the pics... Great beads, love the greens, and the Marbled Indian Butterscotch. Wow that is going to be real fun to play with...

Big Hugs, We all need them...

Last edited by starlightforge; 2010-05-09 at 10:42am. Reason: spelling
Old 2010-05-09, 4:45pm
The Grand Foobah

That green made me want to make frogs again, so I made two today! Wish I had my frog green, but moretti pea green will have to do in the meantime.

Old 2010-05-09, 6:11pm
Remember to keep smiling

Houkje - I love them. I bet the colors really pop in person. I think I am going to try to see if I can get a bone shape I believe they would be cute to go along with my little critters.

Sonja - That SOP baby green looks yummy. There goes another color on my new wish list.

Kristina & Houkje - I had the good fortune to spend a couple days with Roger Child back in February he is a awesome individual and so talented. I am in hopes to take one of his marble classes this summer.

Kristina - I saw your little frog in the Newbie thread I loved him. I can not make frogs they always Come out creepy looking.

SRA#P109
Old 2010-05-09, 7:09pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaP View Post
Houkje -
Kristina & Houkje - I had the good fortune to spend a couple days with Roger Child back in February he is a awesome individual and so talented. I am in hopes to take one of his marble classes this summer.

Kristina - I saw your little frog in the Newbie thread I loved him. I can not make frogs they always Come out creepy looking.
Thank you! I enjoy making them. The steps to make them came from the book "Passing The Flame". I'll post two here in case anyone's interested in seeing them.

Please let us know if you get to take his marble class, I would love to see your results and take it right along with you!

Last edited by Fine Folly Glassworks; 2010-05-10 at 4:38am.
Old 2010-05-10, 1:50am
FatCat Mama

Oh boy! I got notice over the weekend that my glass will be shipping. I ordered only three colors - two are new to me, Coppery Black and Misty, and the third is one of my very favorites, the SOP Baby Green.

I'd love to see any of the coppery black and/or Misty anyone has used yet... anyone?

Once we accept our limits, we go beyond them.
Albert Einstein

Orange Cricket with 10L oxycon and NG
Old 2010-05-10, 12:24pm

I'd like to thank EVERYONE who is posting beads....great work and it's so nice to see everyones beads. I just wanted you guys to see that I can make beads that don't involve purple....lol.... I'm gonna have to get over the purple thing til the next shipment comes in. Teri, sorry I couldn't help you out, I haven't started working with the coppery black....
Old 2010-05-10, 1:05pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Beautiful work Holly! I really like the watermelon set - it's the best one I've ever seen at depicting it!
Closed Thread

Tags
devardi