Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-05-08, 5:56pm
Dark Flower Bead Art

Unhappy Power outage with beads in kiln- HELP

Welcome to Massachusetts. After spending the day happily torching (claimed my mother's day right!) I left my chilipepper (digital control) and was making dinner. The power went out after the kiln had finished its 1 hour "soak" at 960 and the exact temp it was when the power went out was 800 (on its way down). My husband, seeing my distress insisted we get out for dinner. When we got back (about 3 1/2 hours after the power outage) the kiln was at 115. Am I going to be "safe" with these beads or have I lost 4 hours of torch time and more DH silver glass than I care to confess? Any tips?
Thanks
Cara

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[color="DarkOrchid"]** Check out my Etsy site
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/COLOR
Handmade at amazon

Old 2010-05-08, 6:03pm
Tweedle Dumb

If they aren't cracked on their way out, just batch anneal them again, and if they survive that round of annealing you are golden.

<Click For My Latest Murrini!

<Click! For Pandora Style Beads!
Old 2010-05-08, 6:06pm
Lampworkaholic!

Don't take the beads out. Ramp up slowly to your soak temperature an run them through another annealing cycle. They will probably be fine.

The same thing happened to me the other night and it happened mid bead. So I popped the almost finished bead in the kiln and shut everything off. The power was off until the wee hours. I only lost two beads, the one I was making, and that was not cracked, it was just not finished, and one other, which may have cracked anyway because the crack didn't look thermal.

So yours should be fine most likely. But how do you keep your silver color if you soak at 960? Mine re-strike or over-strike at 960.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2010-05-08, 6:15pm
Dark Flower Bead Art

What temp should I soak at????

[/COLOR
Handmade at amazon

Old 2010-05-08, 6:18pm
Dark Flower Bead Art

Ok guys...thanks. I think I'll peek to see if they came out good enough to go through the whole cycle again. I tried Lauscha "supernova" and I have no idea if I'll like it or not. I appreciate the tips...

[/COLOR
Handmade at amazon

Old 2010-05-08, 7:15pm
She's Back & Burnin'

Let us know how it went...

Crossing my fingers for you!

Sara

Old 2010-05-08, 7:44pm
Dark Flower Bead Art

Awwww thanks.... God, LE peeps are the best!

[/COLOR
Handmade at amazon

Old 2010-05-09, 3:10am
Dark Flower Bead Art

Update: one bead cracked. it was heavily encased...it was kinda fugly so no tears for me. I even got color out of Terra2 for the first time! Thanks for the help peeps!

[/COLOR
Handmade at amazon

Old 2010-05-09, 6:44am
The Grand Foobah

I'm right around the corner from you in Petersham and had the same thing happen to me during the storm. I just batch annealed them the following day. I lost a beautiful set of lauscha encased lentils, but that clear is finicky and I suspected they would not make it to begin with. The rest look good to go.

Foofaraw is a style. An attitude. A fresh glimmer of fun. Foofaraw is unique.
Old 2010-05-09, 9:00am
Dark Flower Bead Art

Wow... I had no idea I had lampworking neighbors. my cracked bead was lauscha too. Its my favorite clear but i agree...has a bit of a behavior issue.

[/COLOR
Handmade at amazon